Balcony Cabins on Grand

BM64

We are considering the Grand for a cruise next March. I am looking to book two balcony cabins, one cabin for my Dh, DD and myself and second one for my mom and other DD. Anty advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to have covered balconies. We sailed the Diamond to Alaska in a mini-suite and the uncovered balcony was not an issue but to Mexico and Belize, I would want it covered. Thanks for your help in advance.

We were a group of 4 couples who sailed the Grand 4 years ago and all had balconies. It was fun but we found them wet a lot of the time. Spray from the ocean. It was our 40th anniversary and my dream was champagne breakfast on the balcony on that day and that is what we did. We did enjoy the balcony when in port.

Louise in FLA

We are presently in a balcony cabin on Aloha deck. Our balcony is completely covered and we are very happy with it. Last night we had the Ultimate balcony dinner and it was a perfect way to celebrate our 50th anniversary. I will be posting some pictures on our return to the states. It was worth every bit of the $50. each. :D :D

We are considering the Grand for a cruise next March. I am looking to book two balcony cabins, one cabin for my Dh, DD and myself and second one for my mom and other DD. Anty advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to have covered balconies. We sailed the Diamond to Alaska in a mini-suite and the uncovered balcony was not an issue but to Mexico and Belize, I would want it covered. Thanks for your help in advance.

We stayed on the Aloha Deck on the Grand; March 2005. Our balcony was completely covered and no one could look down on us. It was great. Not sure if all of Aloha Deck balconies are covered but, I would guess from what I remember that they are. Loved the Aloha Deck.

We have sailed on Grand Prin 4 times. The BEST COVERED BALCONIES in my opinion were the "lowest category" up front on Emerald -- I think 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208 -- very large, totally covered, not windy, no sprays. [i would NOT recommend 201 or 202 as those do get some wind from front end.] These are located about 5-6 ft. above the promenade/walking area, but the glass front of the balcony is "mirrored" so the walkers cannot see into your balcony. If you are standing at edge of the balcony, the walker has to raise her/his head up to see you. Often the walkers are conversing or intently concentrating on the walk or have earplugs listening to ipod, walkman, etc. so they don't even realize there is a balcony or that someone is on it. Look at a deckplan for Emerald and look for the 1st few most forward balconies.

A plus is that the walkway in front of these balconies is closed after dark, so it's very quiet & dark outside at night. However with the extended covering, you cannot easily look up to the stars & moon. Another interesting feature of that location was at the far front end is an exit out to the walkway should you want to go up to the nose. (I would check carefully after dark to make sure you can re-enter that doorway.)

Another covered balcony we LOVED was on the aft, but don't think there would be 2 balconies side by side -- ususally a balcony back there has a suite next door.

As previously reported here, Aloha Deck balcs are covered. However, don't overlook the Lido Deck. I haven't been in one of those, but considering the location they too must be covered.

If you promise not to tell, I'm going to let you in on a secret about the Grand and a few of her Lido Deck cabins, L303 - 308. They were intended to be balcony cabins, but for some reason were finished out as Oceanviews. If you aren't determined to have a balcony, these cabins are a great location: private hallway shared with Grand Suites and you step directly out into the Neptune Pool area.

Now for the best part: They are a generous 207 sft in size and have floor to ceiling picture windows!

Stevesan- it looks like you are also a HAL fan. We love HAL but cannot find a 7 day trip for the last week in March other then repeating the Zuiderdam. We ae looking at the Grand because of the different itinerary. Anyway, how do the balconies cabin compare to those on the Vista HAL ships? Thanks for the tip on the aft cabins but DH would not be happy in an aft cabin without the balcony.

BM64~We were on the Grand last February on the Lido deck. It was lovely, quiet and totally private. We were in L243 would just run down the hall and jump in the pool or grab some hambergers, then watch the world float by from the balcony.:)

Stevesan- it looks like you are also a HAL fan. We love HAL but cannot find a 7 day trip for the last week in March other then repeating the Zuiderdam. We ae looking at the Grand because of the different itinerary. Anyway, how do the balconies cabin compare to those on the Vista HAL ships? Thanks for the tip on the aft cabins but DH would not be happy in an aft cabin without the balcony.

Sorry I can't help with balconies vis a vis Vistas and Grand. We had an SS on Zuiderdam. The nearest equivalent on Grand is a minisuite.

Grand's balcony cabins vary in size from 214 - 257 sft. The difference is is balcony size. Because of Grand's wedding cake design, the lower deck balconies are larger. They are also partially open.

We did have an Aloha deck balcony on Grand last time (couldn't get a CC). The Aloha deck balcony is small, but I only use it to dry out snorkel gear so I didn't care.

Grand's new itinerary for W. Caribbean is a big improvement. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, especially if you are partial to water sorts.

As is evident from my signature list, I'm rapidly becoming a Princess fan. I'm also developing a fondness for posters on this board. They aren't as quick to go into attack mode.:)

We only sail on those ships on Caribe Deck, because of the balconies. They are large and have loungers as well as table etc. The best thing is they are half covered, so you have the choice. If you stand at the rail, you look directly down onto the minisuite balconies, which are entirely open. On Caribe, the choice is yours!!!

Sounds like the Caribe deck might suit all of our needs, shade for me and sun for DH and drying of the scuba gear, better then leaving it on the shower floor. I'll see what my TA says when she calls back tomorrow. Those HAL Mariners are loyal that's for sure.

Sounds like the Caribe deck might suit all of our needs, shade for me and sun for DH and drying of the scuba gear, better then leaving it on the shower floor. I'll see what my TA says when she calls back tomorrow. Those HAL Mariners are loyal that's for sure.

That sounds like a good plan. There sure isn't room in the shower for scuba gear.

Archived