Starting a new thread or answering at sea!!!

S7S or Rev. Neal and Others: Please give me info. re. the above so I can contribute live while on a ship. I asked our board leader before our last Amsterdam trip and received no reply and AGAIN when I tried to start a thread I was told I was "NOT LOGGED ON" and even when I used my password, etc. I had no success. I ended up with 1/2 hour of extra time since I bought 250 minutes simply because CC denied my use. Any help advice you or others can give will really be appreciated. We will be on the Amsterdam CAnada trip in October of 2006 so want to use it then if possible.

Thanks so much. Elinor

I can't imagine what the difficulty is.

When I'm using the ship's computer, I come here to the HAL Cruisecritic page.

In the upper right corner, you will see the log in box. Log in with your regular board name and password and you should be fine to go.

BE SURE to log out when you finish. Someone could conceivably come behind you and post in your name if not.

Hope it goes more smoothly for you on your next cruise.

Enjoy.

I am fairly well-known for my "Live from the xxxdam" threads and they are all done while onboard. Never had the slightest problem and I do them the same as when I am at home. You do have to log in to the CC board each time, as it will not remember you from session to session -- as far as I know. I could be wrong there. I'll remember the next time I'm cruising, which is in four months less three days, plus four hours less three minutes.

But who's counting?

Stay tuned for "Live from the Noordam!" starting Oct. 14.

I do it exactly as sail said: I get to the CC boards page, log in as I do at home, proceed over to the HAL board and it's business as usual.

The only time I ever had trouble was due to satellite reception problems in the Arctic area.

Do you have your computer set to recognize you when you log on, and have forgotten your password?

the next time I'm cruising, which is in four months less three days, plus four hours less three minutes.

But who's counting?

Down boy! With this level of excitement you won't live long enough to cruise! :D

thanks one and all. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I was using an old password. I do not log in at home -- the cc. boards are simply listed under my favorite places list so I just click HAL and enter all in all areas. I am on my laptop now until my desktop is repaired so no report for a few days -- this tiny keyboard is too much to manage.

The only minor problem we had in the Baltic was getting through airports and many custom & immigration lines. Amsterdam was as confusing and bad as Paris is -- hadn't been that way many years ago. Thanks Again - Elinor

On your home computer you probably have the log-in block "remember me" checked which sets a cookie in your computer that automatically re-enters your log-in name and password each tme you revisit the CC home page. On a different computer or on the ship, you do not want to leave cookies behind. Either don't check "remember me" or go up under the browser tools menu to delete the cookies when you are done. Some computers on the ship may aready be set up to not allow cookies to be retained in the first place. Therefore you have to re-enter your log-in and password each time you visit the website even on the same computer.

The cookies left behind are a good reason not to visit your bank accounts and other web pages requiring passwords when you visit an internet cafe while traveling. There may also be key stroke loggers installed to capture your entries for less than honest purposes.

You're gonna have to make sure you know what your CC logon and password is before you're gonna be able to log into CC from the ship's computers. If you're not having success getting logged into the site, you might want to email one of the moderators to get your password.

Your logon will be your screen name ... and then your password will be whatever you originally set it for.

As someone else said, though ... make sure if you are using the computers in the internet center on the ship that you log out each time you exit CruiseCritic. Otherwise, the next CCer who uses that particular workstation could wind up posting under your screen name. Believe me, I have personal experience with this. I posted under JudyAl's name on my last cruise because she didn't log out and I didn't catch on that I wasn't asked for a logon and password when I called up CruiseCritic. Of course, the site thought I was her.

Hope you have some success posting from the ship. I'd love to read your day-to-day impressions.

Blue skies ...

--rita

kyros said:

Believe me, I have personal experience with this. I posted under JudyAl's name on my last cruise because she didn't log out and I didn't catch on that I wasn't asked for a logon and password when I called up CruiseCritic. Of course, the site thought I was her.
I was in, I think, Sydney NS one time and was using a terminal for CC when I realized it was already logged into CC HAL ... on the same thread I was going to post to ... and the previous post was about me! I turned around and said, "Is (screen name) here?" She was and I told her she hadn't logged off. A nice gal and her post about me was favourable. She said, "Oh, YOU'RE tomc!" Still don't know if that was a "wow!" statement or an "oh, (poop)" statement. I assume the previous.

Archived