Packing and Day Before Travel..

Another post sparked this :

What do all of you do on the day before you are to travel?

(For some of us we go to ur port city a day early, so that is why I say travel and not cruise)

Packing... how do you do it? Special items can't live w/o?

Rituals?...Pedicures, manicures, massage, dining out, cleaning.... WHAT?:D

Jusy nosey....:D

We drive to the Port (10 miles away), so I usually do most of my packing the day before, and the last bit that morning.

I am a freak about leaving the house clean ... cannot stand to come home from vacation to a messy house ... so I normally do a really good clean, mow the lawn, etc. I also am an extremely anxious traveler, so having lots of things to keep me busy helps to keep the panic attacks away.

Once I was able to get a mani/pedi the day that we flew to Florida, and that was a wonderful treat. I always have great intentions of doing that again, but instead I walk around the house straightening closets and fretting. I envy the people who can throw stuff in a bag and just head out ...

Day before:

Manicure

Check off items on packing list.

Pack foldables (tee's/underwear) in packing cubes and pack suitcases.

Items packed on hangers are put in plastic and ready to go in suitcase.

Make sure all bills are paid.

Day of travel

Clean kitty litter.

Call cat sitter again and remind her we're leaving town.

Pack delicates on hangers on top of suitcases.

Put on make-up and pack them in carry-on.

Shower and wash/dry hair as late as possible before flight.

From airport:

Call credit card companies and tell them we'll be away.

Call Mom again to tell her I love her.

All the above, except no more pets.

I tape a list of last minute things to do on the front door, make sure the neighbors have the key. Then, after all is said and done (checking that the travel documents are all in place, in my bag, next to the front door) I take an Excedrin PM and get some sleep. While I'm not a big advocate of drug use, even over the counter drugs, this helps me get a full nights sleep. If I drink wine, I'll wake up in the middle of the night. If I don't take the pill, I'm up worrying that I forgot something and I'll get up a zillion times to check on it.

The day/night before:

I make muffins the night before so that in the am, we can easily eat breakfast without dirtying dishes (we use paper products the morning we leave for ease of clean up).

Put all luggage next to the door, except toiletry bag which will be put into the carryon after makeup is put into it.

Manicure / Pedicure

Clean house

Give my cocker spaniel lots of love before she heads to inlaws for her own vacation!

Call airport limo to verify pick up for am

Go to bank to make sure we have enough cash for car ride / tips...

Morning of:

Shower - Put toiletry bag in carryon

Breakfast (force myself to eat something even though I am too excited to eat!)

Call my parents to say goodbyes.

Worry that we did not forget to pack anything... or worst, worry that I put nailclippers w/file into the carryon (did that once... not fun!)

The day before: pack and load up the car. I prefer to have my hair/nail appointments a few days before we leave just in case I have to do something last minute.

The day of: pack the last minute items in the carry-ons (make-up, one change of clothes, tickets, iPod...etc).

Check the list, clean the coffee pot...out the door!

~e

I am also like mrgabriel...

I can not stand not having my house spotless clean before leaving. I will take off the day work before we leave and get everything done and off my desk. I will then get everything done at home. So, I will clean the house, get all laundry done, change the bed sheets, iron & pack everything, mow the grass, mop the floors, empty trash, clean out fridge, go to bank, wash dishes, adjust thermostat, make necessary phone calls to hold things/pick things up and confirm reservations, go to Wal-Mart to pick up any things that are left necessary to pick up and try to get a manicure/pedicure & eyebrow wax the day before we leave or the week of leaving.

Good idea about making muffins/etc to eat the morning of leaving... I will definitely do that, so I won't have any dishes. I am a big breakfast eater, so I have to have something before we go and those are perfect. If there are any left over, I will put them in my carry-on to snack on for the plane ride or waiting at the airport!

I get my hair cut and colored 2 days before I leave...(My hair grows fast in 2 weeks)

I start to pack a week before.....I put everything in zip lock bags and press the air out of them....(yes it helps with wrinkles & leaks etc)

Last minute stuff goes in that morning I am leaving.....

Carry on is packed about 2-3 days before and I always use a check off list ;)

Archived