PLEASE HELP! We need a PARADISE BEACH EQUIVLANT for other islands we are visiting.

CoastalCounseling

We loved Paradise Beach in Cozumel. (Is Paradise Beach Tom still there, eating licorice?)

We could buy drinks, use the chairs, toys and beach for free. It was a wonderful day for us. We are going to miss Paradise Beach this trip but I would like to know of some similar places in the Caribbean. We will be visiting:

St. Thomas

Roseau, Dominica

Bridgetown, Barbados

Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I went last year and we only paid for drinks.

We were given two beach chairs, umbrella, two float matts and use of all the toys. We did tip the kayak helper.

The water trampoline and iceburg were much fun. Very inexpensive day for the amount of fun we had!

ENJOY!

Wish I was going back there!

Now I have to locate something half as good as Paradise Beach for my other ports of call. Its a tough order to find something that wonderful!

I think you lucked out on using the water toys for free. I have read elsewhere that you must buy an armband for $8, I think that was the price. Sounds like you are going to have a great trip, have fun!!!:)

in barbados go to Boatyard Beach.. was 5.00 for chaise and one drink.. i'm sure that has gone up a bit.. this was aboaut 4 yeas ago.. you'll find most of the cruise ship staff there..

We loved Paradise Beach in Cozumel. (Is Paradise Beach Tom still there, eating licorice?)

We could buy drinks, use the chairs, toys and beach for free. It was a wonderful day for us. We are going to miss Paradise Beach this trip but I would like to know of some similar places in the Caribbean. We will be visiting:

St. Thomas

Roseau, Dominica

Bridgetown, Barbados

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Thanks!

try posting also on the individual port boards

We loved Paradise Beach: best chicken nachos I ever had. Unfortunately, Paradise Tom was not there that day. (new baby and all) Betcha that little one is running all over by now!

Well, he's not quite running yet as he just turned 8 months old, but he sure loves to stand up with help!:)

St. Thomas

Roseau, Dominica

Bridgetown, Barbados

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Thanks!

Personal Opinions follow:

St. Thomas - Megans Bay is the island's most famous. It is regularly on Conde Nast's top beach list. It's maybe $10 cab fare over the mountain then $3 admission (it's a pay entry public park); ask the cabby to run you up a few hundred yeards to Drake's Seat overlooking the sea either coming or going. Megan's is a beautiful location with decent concessions. I haven't been to Coki or Sapphire beaches but they're well liked too. St. Johns is easily accessed and has superb beaches but they are not so much of the concessioned with toys style. Plus getting to St. Johns takes a ferry trip.

Dominica's beaches suck comparatively speaking, but its a goregeous island otherwise (pushy vendors though, just be ready). Campagne Reef is immediately offshore but not easily - or safely - accessed from shore; it's unique for snorkling. Volcanic gases vent through the reef creating, you guessed it, champagne bubbles. But go to Titou Gorge and swim into the rainforest mountain to the little falls there. Unforgetable. Dominica's assets are stunning but not of the beach type.

St. Kitts - I loved S. Friars Beach looking out to Nevis. Nice people, keepin' it real, BBQ lobsters for sale with cheap beer. I saw a photo in a mag acticle on St. Kitts recently and recognized the big house sized rock on the beach as Friar's. One of the nicest and least talked about beaches IMHO. We did a van trip to Brimstone Hill Fortress (stunning views and a nice drive) in the AM then S. Friars by cab in the afternoon. Wonderful island - nice people.

I don't know San Juan for beaching.

Have fun!

Boatyard is the most developed one, but you might consider Malibu Beach (Brandon's Beach) it's behind the Malibu Rum Distillery in a light industrial neighborhood of rum stillers. Malibu has a nice beach layout there. You can tour the factory at 1 PM and buy liquor et al at the beach concession. You'll see the beach from the ship coming into port and the beach likewise looks out to the distant piers (makes a good photo). On Barbados - just make SURE - you have a pre-arranged and firm price from the cabbies (they're a notorious blemish on an otherwise fine island) to go anywhere. Malibu is close and should only run a small amount too, like Boatyard.

Barbados "best" excursion though is probably the sea turtle swim. The big catamarans that do the run and serve food and drink make for a pretty fine "beach" over hull under sail too!

Archived