Another Q. about jackets

flyerfan22

I am trying to decide what jacket to bring. We are traveling in mid-July, with 3 days in Denali, then the Coral Princess SB from Whittier - Vancouver.

Does anyone have any experience with this jacket? It is the Sierra Designs Hurricane Parka - Women's.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/SDS0089/c12/s42/Sierra-Designs-Hurricane-Parka-Womens.html?swatch=HPIRI

(you may need to cut/paste into a new browser)

It is just an outer shell - no lining. I'm guessing that I'd have to wear it with one of the fleece sweatshirt-type jackets that I already own. Would it be too bulky with my fleece jacket?

I've looked at Lands End & LL Bean combo jackets (3-in-1 and Weather Channel), and they both seem like too much jacket.

I've had some experience with zipping liners in and out, and I think it can be a pain. My preference (if it works) is to have 2 separate jackets.

Thoughts?

FWIW, I'm planning to bring a shell (very similar to the one you're looking at) and layer one or 2 fleece or caplilene layers underneath. I agree zip in-out layers are a pain. I'm in CO this week where we're having a mix of cool & warm days & I'm realizing so much depends on your level of activity on excursions. If your bikng or hiking at a decent pace you really need to be able to peel off the layers easily, yet have protection if weather changes.Meg

Archived