Which Snorkle should we buy?

DFW4

On RCCL Explorer, the dive shop staff tried to talk us into purchasing gear onboard. They had the Impulse3 model snorkle by Aqualung for $49.95. We decided to wait, but now that we have our next cruise coming up soon, (and I've found this online for $27.95), I'm wondering if we should buy it?

Anyone use this snorkle, or have other recommendations?

I agree with Bruce. A dry snorkel is the way to go, especially when your anm inexpereinced snorkeler or when buying your first set of gear. My wife and I both use dry snorkels.

What mask would you suggest to go with the dry snorkel?

One that you could try on in person before you bought it. Masks really shouldn't be purchased without trying them on first. I'd go to my local dive shop and try on a bunch. Fit would be more important than price to me.

There's not much that will kill your snorkeling trip quicker than a mask that doesn't fit properly, which will likely cause continuous leaking.

My sister and brother-in-law were recently on a company paid trip to San Juan. They went on a snorkeling excursion where equipment was supplied. His mask didn't fit and leaked badly. Instead of asking for another mask, he sat out the snorkeling while my sister had a ball.

We purchased all of our equipment from a local dive shop after proper fitting. It cost a little more but it was worth it. They also gave us a discount when I asked for it for purchasing eveything then and there.

My wife and I bought a set from Sam for like 49 bux. Its made by body glove and comes with mask, fins and a dry snorkel and a carry bag. We only use these on the cruises so it works perfectly for us. We dont like to rent used stuff and put it in our mauth. If you do get a set, I too recommend a dry snorkel.

Good Luck !

My wife and I bought a set from Sam for like 49 bux. Its made by body glove and comes with mask, fins and a dry snorkel and a carry bag. We only use these on the cruises so it works perfectly for us. We dont like to rent used stuff and put it in our mauth. If you do get a set, I too recommend a dry snorkel.

Good Luck !

Keith, that's an excellent price. What is "Sam" please?

gwydiana,

Sorry I forgot the "S". I am fairly certain it was at SAMS Club or BJ's. It was one or the other. I know they have them at Dicks too. Keep in mind it was a year ago, but I bet its not much more than that. Its worth it to buy your own stuff IMO. I just didnt feel comfortable having a snorkel in my mouth that..."maybe 50" other's did too. I know they clean them, but Id rather be safe than sorry.

Good Luck in your searches.

• 1 month later...

Archived