HAL's Rome Pre-Cruise Package?

Bill S

Has anyone taken HAL's Rome Pre-Cruise package this season?

If so, what were the day trip to Tuscany and the half-day Rome tour like?

What time was the Vatican Tour: morning or afternoon?

Which hotel did HAL book for you? How was the hotel?

Any responses, good, bad or indifferent are welcome! Thanks!

Bill:

I'm a month away from using the HAL hotel/transfer package in Rome. The hotel is the Visconti Palace Hotel. It's a pricey package, but it includes transfers from the airport to the hotel to the pier, which would probably run $150-$200 total per person in itself, due to distances. I have one night pre- and one night post-cruise. I don't know anything about any tour packages offered for Rome, including hotel, through HAL.

When I questioned my TA about the hotel/transfer price, he said that HAL only does it as a convenience for it's passengers, and doesn't make money off of that package. Although it sounds a bit illogical, I tend to believe him. He said "if it makes you feel any better, ...etc."

Sorry I don't know any more specifics....

Paul

Hi, Bill S. Haven't taken HAL's package but have been to Rome. Don't know if my info is of value to you, but here's what I have in my travel files:

Rome has two airports: Leonardo da Vinci, better known simply as Fiumicino handles most scheduled flights, & Ciampino for charters or low-cost European airlines. We flew into Fiumicinio. Taxis there cost around E100 euros (right now we lose about 27 cents per euro versus dollar), more at night, and take 30–45 minutes (depending on hotel location & traffic); otherwise public transport is reasonable. Fiumicino is connected to the centre of Rome by direct trains, thirty-minute ride to Termini for about E25 euros; begin at 7.37am, leave hourly from 8.07am-10.07pm; more frequent trains to Trastevere, Ostiense and Tiburtina stations, each on the edge of the city centre, roughly every twenty minutes from 6.27am-11.27pm; and Tiburtina and Ostiense are just a short metro ride from Termini, making it a much cheaper (and not necessarily slower) journey; or you can catch city bus #175 from Ostiense, or city bus #492 or #649 from Tiburtina, to the centre of town. These cheaper alternatives involve more bag-hauling.

Don't remember when I collected this info, so it may be somewhat outdated regarding prices & times, but will give you a general idea. Personally, I would prefer HAL's easy package from airport to hotel to seaport, but some folks don't mind some bag handling to save bucks (or euros!)!

I also have more info on which taxis to use, tourist warnings, etc. But you may have already been to Rome & know all of that.

We have stayed at the Visconti Palace. Very nice hotel, very nice included breakfast, Rome maps given at front desk; somewhat removed from many tourist sites, but within walking distance to the Vatican. Within walking distance of other sites if one is fit for such walking.

We love Italy. Lucky you, you will be there in a month. We don't go back until November - 1 week in Venice & 2 weeks in Rome! :D

By the way, the best place I have found for Italy info is the board on Frommers.

Enjoy!

Hi Bill. We have the two-night package booked for September but all our package includes is transfers and lodging. We're supposed to be staying at Visconti Palace. We've arranged tours on our own through driverinrome. We were not offered any package through the cruise line that included tours. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks for all who have responded!

We opted for the 4-night pre-cruise package for a host of reasons, but mainly because it will be our first visit to Rome, and it is so nice to have the transfers as part of the deal. We are booked at the Visconti Palace, too. I have checked tripadvisor.com and it sounds like a nice hotel.

The half-day Rome tour for us will fall on a Wednesday and it includes St, Peters, the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel, but I read where St. Peters is frequently closed on Wednesday mornings for papal audiences. So, I am hoping that the tour will be an afternoon experience. Does anyone know a sure way to find out what the schedule will be?

We just came of a back-to-back cruise on the Noordam in the Mediterranean.

Between cruises, our group of about 30 people had a specially arranged excusion through HAL to see Rome as they did not offer regular tours. At the Sistine Chapel where we started, we encountered one to the worst lines I have ever seen. People were about 6 abreast and the line extended between 1/2 and 3/4 mile. It took us approximately two hours standing in the hot sun before we could get inside where the crowds were horrific! To make matters worse, we got stuck inside an elevator for about 10 minutes inside the Vatican.

As a result of spending so much time waiting in line, we did not have time to see anything else in Rome like the Collesium or the Trevi Fountain as we had to get back to the ship before it sailed.

Later on our cruise, we went into Livornoand Naples and encountered other very large crowds but nothing like the one in Rome. So, if you're planning to see anthing in Italy, be prepared for huge crowds and allow as much time as possible.

Bill S,

On the days when there is a Papal audience, a bad traffic situation in the city becomes worse. I was there on a Wednesday and had booked a morning tour. It ran well over an hour and a half late, due to traffic congestion. Be prepared and plan accordingly.

cruiser8 and rkacruiser: thank you for the input!!! That really helps us to decide what we will do! I think we will opt for a private guide and will try to visit the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel either on Monday or Wednesday afternoon during the week we are in Rome.

Hi Bill (and everyone else) --We are on the 9/28 cruise with you, and also at Visconti Palace. We have booked a tour on 9/27 with driverinrome (how was it Mushroom??) and we will be on the Florence tour you have talked to David about. If you would like to join us we can inquire, see driverinrome.com for the itinery. Since the time is so short, I was hoping to see the highlights in one day(I know it's crazy, but...) Pam

I guess I was not paying attention before I posted. Now, I understand that Mushroom is doing this at the same time we are, and that Bill is already booked. OK, I feel silly. But, I would like to invite any of the 9/28 cruisers over to the Roll Call. And talking cruising is always fun! Pam

Pam: thanks for the invite! I have emailed a couple of tour guides who do walking tours in Rome, but so far no reply--I guess they are pretty busy these days.

It looks like we will be joining you and your DH along with Dave & Linda for the day in Florence!

I will let you know on the roll call about how it works out for us in Rome--maybe see you at the Visconti Palace!

Archived