Suggestion for travelers

npphotog

Thought this might be of interest to some on this board. We are going on a China/Yangtze trip next May. Sitting at home the other day I was looking over my new Kodak digital camera, along with my other camera. On the bottom of the cameras I find that both are made in China. A red flag went up in my mind and I wondered if I would have any problem bringing them back into the US. Found out that I could register them at the St. Pete (Florida) airport because they have a customs dept there. It's only about 20 minute drive for me. Took about 5 minutes and no charge. Not sure it's really necessary but now have the customs form stamped and signed that I did indeed purchase them in the US and did not buy them in China and won't have to pay duty. Willard

Hi Willard,

This question came up on one of the other boards on this site. I remember that some folks are simply carrying a copy of the items invoice with them just in case they need to proove that the item in question has been purchased in the US.

steamboats

Willard, if our experience is common you have nothing to worry about. They looked at nothing but our Passports and Visas both inbound and outbound.

The idea of registering a foreign made product is to establish to US Customs upon your return to the US that it not a foreign purchased item upon which duty may be due if you exceed your free allowances.

Clarence:)

Archived