just returned, Back to Back Ryndam at Code RED

TylerRose

Just returned from two wonderful weeks in Alaska! Our first back to back, and also our first cruise entirely at code red. Many activities were cut, as crew and cast aided in Lido service, purell hand sanitization stations, and avoided any spread on our ship of GI virus.

Specifically CODE RED means NO SELF SERVICE anything because GI illness has occurred somewhere at sea, and not nescessarily on your ship or port! No salt and pepper shakers, or bread baskets. No fresh fruit in cabin. No self service in Lido or Neptune lounge. No books or magazines. No cooking classes, arts and crafts, or video machines for kids. Elbow taps instead of handshakes, and a greatly increased workload for all employed on ship.

That said... NO ONE in our group was put out by these inconviences and appreciated the ships determination to keep all aboard healthy. Which was how we arrived and disembarked. We were impressed with everyone pitching in and working together.

CRISIS at Lifeboat drill: An unfortunate passanger suffered a heart attack during lifeboat drill. This became a major incident for many on board since the drill lasted near an hour. Many complained bitterly of standing still so long, cold, hunger, etc.

My husband was a primary responder and explained to us the importance of people remaining where they were so no passageways were blocked while awaiting the emergency crews and transpot. While a minor inconvience, he was relieved the passenger was transfered off the boat safely, and we heard later was hospitalized, treated, and released with a positive outcome.

More on Back to back: We were fortunate to have booked early enough to keep our cabins. This meant we could get off the boat at our leisure in Seward and reboard when we were ready. The dining room does repeat menus from week to week so we used this as our opportunity to enjoy the Pinnacle twice. The Show cast rotates 5 shows, so only one castshow was a duplicate during our trip. Shipboard games and activites were not repeats, only their "titles". Example, different trivias, different name that tune, etc.

We found back to back to be a very relaxing way of turning a seven day cruise into 2 weeks and hope to do it again next summer.

Major diminshment in formalities. I know following dress code is and always has been a turbulent subject. BUT there was a definate change from our cruise last summer, same ship, same destination! There were two formal nights and NO semiformal. MANY people wore jeans in the dining room on casual evenings, and the entire ship felt more casual even on formal night. Our family of 7 in Tuxedo's and Formal gowns looked overdressed in the dining room. AND I saw even less dressing up in Lido and at shows.

Motion sickness... our first time in Alaska. Reality is, the Pacific is an ocean, and the ocean is always in motion. Even the inside passage goes outside sometimes.

Hope this information may help someone.

Missing the Magnificent RRRRRRRRRRYndam,

TylerRose

TR--

Glad you had a great B2B on RRRRRRyndam--

I agree with your comments that HAL does a good job of managing Noro outbreaks - and I for one appreciate the extra service: being served my bread and butter, drinks, pepper, etc.

So when is your next HAL cruise?

Thanks for the great review. Another example of HAL caring and trying to stop spread of disease. Sounds cruising back to back is a great experience.

We were on the Statendam in May from Osaka to Vancouver. When we boarded the ship was in Code Red. The HAL staff did a fantastic job dealing with this problem Of course, it meant a lot more work for them but they stressed how important it was for our safety. Some pax really grumbled but my husband and I didn't mind it. It was a lot better than getting sick. About 9 days into the cruise the code red was lifted and you had salt, pepper, bread, butter, etc. at your tables in the dining room and were able to self-serve in the Lido. Thankfully, we did not get sick. We had this norovirus years ago on Cunard's Caronia and never want to have it again!!!!

I was just considering posting my own review. Since it was our first cruise, DH & I called it being in "lock down" ! Although we felt the same way, we didn't get sick and appreciated that they took it very seriously.

Sorry to hear of the heart attack victim:eek: , glad our drill didn't take an hour.

I agree that, even having no personal knowledge, formal night seemed to be less formal than I had been led to believe it would. But DH looked spiffy in his tux:D We did change out of our formal duds that night we had the rough seas and he got sick in his- yuk. However I couldn't partake of the dessert extravaganza, just too rough to handle. And I too saw jeans in the dining room. That was hard to explain to DH, 'yes dear, I know it doesn't say no jeans, they changed that recently. I'd still like you to wear these nice clothes we bought for this cruise so you would look nice in the dining room!'

I loved the Ryndam, it is the perfect size for me. I really loved the Daily Program, so much fun seeing what was available every day.

Need to save up, I would love to take my mom on her. I can hear Captain Consen's voice about "thorough and frequent handwashing" every time I lather up! hehe

What I really want to know is how the heck Scott knew the answers to all those phobias?? Although I did guess a few right, what are the odds?

Was great meeting you and seeing all his great pics on your door. DH always had to stop and check out the new ones!

Kathy :)

Hi all,

We're considering Statendam next July for another Alaska BtoB. We are limited to summer cruising until the kids graduate.

DH has always been a trivia addict, and the kids each had three years of Latin in school. Combined with my RN, and his MD, we had a good trivia team for phobias!

The captain disembarked with us. His time aboard the elegant and beautiful RRRRRRRRyndam is over, at least for now.

Yes, we remained CODE RED the full two weeks.

Next year the BOYS will have an inside cabin... never want to be the only gal with 3 boys again!

I was just considering posting my own review.

Dear Kathy,

Please post your review. It is useful for newbies to get a first timers perspective. I really did not go into "Cruising Alaska" specifics. People will love to hear your adventures. It is silly for me to post, yes, dogsledding for third time, still love it...

Robyn

Archived