Pride of Aloha 6-16

Has anyone heard if there have been any more outbreaks in the past two weeks. We know someone who was on the 6/23-30 and he confirmed what the rest have said. But I have not been able to get any info about the following sailings. NCL told my agent that they have no knowlege of any outbreaks that was over a week ago. I cant believe that they could go from 10-15% to nothing over night.

Thanks

Has anyone heard if there have been any more outbreaks in the past two weeks. We know someone who was on the 6/23-30 and he confirmed what the rest have said. But I have not been able to get any info about the following sailings. NCL told my agent that they have no knowlege of any outbreaks that was over a week ago. I cant believe that they could go from 10-15% to nothing over night.

Thanks

I would think we would hear something if there had been more than a few outbreaks in the past 2 sailings. Remember we were hearing from those who sailed in June, we are now 1/2 way through July. It is possible there have been no more outbreaks and I don't know if anyone knows the exact percentage that was affected back in June. The 10% is just an estimate. Let's hope anyway, things are under control. NMNIta

Thanks

Hi myownboss:

As I wrote earlier I have inside connections as Federal staff @ DHHS of which FDA is an Agency. I was provided the figure of 14.10% for week June 10th by an official @ FDA in College Park, MD office, Dean Davidson. I am happy to contact him on your behalf to see if has has current data rgearding the Aloha that would be helpful to you. As further validity and credibility to you and all board memebrs I will even provide his email address and telephone number. I will only pursue this if he has the current data you need however. I am certain the FDA poublic site has a webpage that his name could be researched and identified for contact info. Please let me know if you would like me to contact him.

As some other posters have suggested, we probably would have heard of something by now, albeit unofficial through the grapevine like boards like this and similar if there was a significant outbreak of 3% or greater.

Take Care

A woman from my mother's church is taking a senior group soon on another Pride ship. Concerned about senior citizens and illness, she called NCLA and was told by the NCLA rep that the ship she was boarding had had no problems but that the Aloha still had some "lingering" sickness. That was a little over a week ago, probably closer to two. So it sounds like it's ebbed.

And for the record, as I've stated multiple times, 10% is the number that NCLA reported on a letter of which I have a copy. I think that counts as official.

A woman from my mother's church is taking a senior group soon on another Pride ship. Concerned about senior citizens and illness, she called NCLA and was told by the NCLA rep that the ship she was boarding had had no problems but that the Aloha still had some "lingering" sickness. That was a little over a week ago, probably closer to two. So it sounds like it's ebbed.

And for the record, as I've stated multiple times, 10% is the number that NCLA reported on a letter of which I have a copy. I think that counts as official.

Certainly, getting data from an FDA official is "official" isn't it?:p

It seems some posters are selectively sorted out if you will for their credibility, while other posters messages are taken bible truth without question. I think this is why David and I provide our credible sources of information - rather than rely on anecdotal hearsay. If board policy permitted - we are happy to forward the e-mail from my TA (sent by NCLA) on the nite before our cruise - pity we were already in HI by then (LOL):rolleyes:

"people listening without hearing...", Simon & Garfunkel

Thank you all for your replies. It would be very helpful to me if I could get some official information as my daughter just had surgery and we are concerned with her compremised immune system being able to handle this virus.

FYI the last "news" report that I read out of Hawaii was the 4th & 5th of June, and they indicated that the CDC was informed and investigating. Obviously they didnt do their research before reporting the news. That was on KHON2.

Thanks again for the help.:confused:

Thank you all for your replies. It would be very helpful to me if I could get some official information as my daughter just had surgery and we are concerned with her compremised immune system being able to handle this virus.

FYI the last "news" report that I read out of Hawaii was the 4th & 5th of June, and they indicated that the CDC was informed and investigating. Obviously they didnt do their research before reporting the news. That was on KHON2.

Thanks again for the help.:confused:

I don't know where you can turn to get an official report: hopefully someone coming back this weekend will jump in here. I honestly believe if there was much of a breakout in the past 2 sailings we would have heard something; this is just my opinion. Of course you are concerned for good reason, what did your daughter's doctor say about this? I would think he/she would be the first person to talk with. I guess you could try calling or emailing FDA to see what they know. NMNIta

I was on the Pride of Aloha from July 2-9th and I heard nothing about any outbreaks while on the cruise, although prior to my departure I was a bit worried from all the messages from the previous month concerning the norovirus. I found it a nice touch that there was a crew member spraying everyone's hands with a germicidal agent upon embarkation and disembarkation from the ship at all ports and also there were many areas set up around the ship that one could wash their hands at with the self-drying germicidal agent including at the entry to all dining areas. I personally saw no one sick in my week onboard, except for the occasional person that needed to take Bonine for seasickness.

I did ask one crewmember about the "norovirus" while onboard and she mentioned that it wasn't the norovirus, but instead something that began with the letter "g" (sorry I can't remember)...I'm unsure if the crew was briefed by their superiors as not to discuss this matter with the passengers though.

I hope this alleviates any of your worries.

Thanks for the replies

Our daughters Dr is advising us that it would be best to cancel, not worth her getting vilently ill. We are all dissappointed as we had to cancel vacation last year due to my husbands quadruple bypass. We are all in desperate need of a vacation. (My TA wont be happy either) Good thing I always buy insurance. I am still holding out for some difinitive answer from FDA or another valid source, but I am running out of time. It doesnt look too good at this point. Maybe we can rebook for the winter.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for the replies

Our daughters Dr is advising us that it would be best to cancel, not worth her getting vilently ill. We are all dissappointed as we had to cancel vacation last year due to my husbands quadruple bypass. We are all in desperate need of a vacation. (My TA wont be happy either) Good thing I always buy insurance. I am still holding out for some difinitive answer from FDA or another valid source, but I am running out of time. It doesnt look too good at this point. Maybe we can rebook for the winter.

Thanks for all your help.

myownboss - IMHO - I would put a lot weight on the DR's recommendation. I am so sorry to hear your vacations plans are going to be disrupted - but it is not worth the health risk, right? Sounds like its time for the "caregiver" to get some well deserved respite and nurturing, huh? Hope you can get some real soon in lieu of the cruise.

BTW - when is your Aloha cruise scheduled for ?

Take Care, Nurse Wratchet

We were scheduled to sail 7/28 out of Maui. I cancelled, better safe than sorry. Cant take the chance of my daughter or hubby getting ill. I read on another thread that someone on the 7/7-7/14 said that they did not see anyone spraying hands the first few days, and when in the infermery, mostly saw crew. one of their bar or wait staff said that there were still some problems, mostly due to passengers not following Drs orders and spreading germs, but not as bad as in June. (as a side note, said they were happy with the service).

I hope to get a rest soon, maybe a quick weekend in Las Vegas for my anniversary in Aug. I always wanted to renew my vows with Elvis.

We have been on 4 cruises and hope to do many more. Our first was on Premiere Crusies Ocean Breeze, great ship, easy to get around and find eachother. Only 1/2 full, talk about service, ok we were spoiled, but remain realistic in our expectations. Wish that line and crew were still around. Most interesting and friendly crew we have every had. We are going to try again in the fall.

Thanks again to all who replyed.:)

We were scheduled to sail 7/28 out of Maui. I cancelled, better safe than sorry. Cant take the chance of my daughter or hubby getting ill. I read on another thread that someone on the 7/7-7/14 said that they did not see anyone spraying hands the first few days, and when in the infermery, mostly saw crew. one of their bar or wait staff said that there were still some problems, mostly due to passengers not following Drs orders and spreading germs, but not as bad as in June. (as a side note, said they were happy with the service).

I hope to get a rest soon, maybe a quick weekend in Las Vegas for my anniversary in Aug. I always wanted to renew my vows with Elvis.

We have been on 4 cruises and hope to do many more. Our first was on Premiere Crusies Ocean Breeze, great ship, easy to get around and find eachother. Only 1/2 full, talk about service, ok we were spoiled, but remain realistic in our expectations. Wish that line and crew were still around. Most interesting and friendly crew we have every had. We are going to try again in the fall.

Thanks again to all who replyed.:)

myownboss, you made the right decision; there will always be another cruise. If you liked Primiere, you are the type that will love NCL. Give them another try when everyone is well. Love what you said about Primiere, I never had the chance to sail them, but when I was first a TA we used to book them alot. It was a great line for the young families that wanted the Disney type experience but couldn't or didn't want to pay the price to sail Disney cruises. if they were still around I would be booking them. Our favorite line, from the days gone by was Commodore, very similar to Priemiere.

Now as for Vegas, and renewing your vows with Elvis? Explain that: are you renewing your vows with your husband and having Elvis do the ceremony or are you marrying Elvis again? LOL

Ha Ha,

My hubby and I are renewing our vows with Elvis officiating. We were married in LV 16 years ago at the Candlelight Chapel, and our cruise last year that we had to cancel due to his health was to be our 15th anniversary celebration. So since our song is "Cant help falling in love" we thought ...Why Not have Elvis do it this time?

If I have learned anything in the past two years it is that at any moment in time your whole world could change, so there is no time like the present to enjoy your family and friends, laugh as much as you can and never miss an opportunity to tell someone that you love them.

So if you were a TA, do you know which Elvis chapel is the best in LV?

Thanks

Archived