Pride of Aloha 6-16

I just booked the Pride of Aloha today for the July 14 sailing from Maui, but am just now reading the reviews.

What has got me worried is the virus (norovirus) you all are talking about. My wife has cancer and is currently on her sixth round of chemo. As you are probably aware, a person's immune system is comrpomised while on chemo. I hadn't heard about any of the outbreaks until I read your posts.

If anyone else is going before we leave, please keep us posted on the health issues an how NCL is addressing them.

Reason we booked so late is that I wasn't sure if my wife was going to be able to go on the trip to Hawaii. We have had our air for a long time, but had waited too late to make hotel reservations as most of the hotels are fully booked or way out of our price range. So when I was browsing the internet today, I saw what I thought was a great deal so I jumped at it. Now I have major apprehensions.

By the way, does anyone know what antibiotic is prescribed for the virus?

Or is it useless since it is a virus and would just have to pass it's course.

Jerry

Oklahoma

Please talk to your wife's oncologist and ask him, do not accept the opinion of people on this board. Your wife's doctor knows what is best for her. My husband has cancer and his doctor has told us what we need if he gets sick on the cruises we take.

This is correct. It's a matter of Imodium, liquids, and bed rest.

Are you an oncologist? Please do not advice people who have cancer what they can take for illness on cruise ships.:mad:

This is one area that I am the expert since my husband has cancer. People See your Oncologist for medical advice.

Please talk to your wife's oncologist and ask him, do not accept the opinion of people on this board. Your wife's doctor knows what is best for her. My husband has cancer and his doctor has told us what we need if he gets sick on the cruises we take.

I agree with this 100% - I have a compromised immune system and consult my doctor as well before my trips.

Crew spreads it, too. And from what I saw, no, they were not doing enough. If they had been doing enough, then the spread would have been arrested. If they had been doing enough, they would not have enacted the procedures I saw enacted over the course of our cruise; those procedures would have already been in place.

No offense, Cecilia, but breakfast trays from sick rooms left in the hallway for hours; vomit and fecal stains not removed; cleaning gloves and surgical masks left on top of trash; allowing people to reach beneath the sneeze guard at the buffet for the entire trip; leaving dirty dishes at tables; people without gloves handling food and drinks. These were things we witnessed, not concocted. And that's not the complete list.

Crew reported that their quarters were filthy, too. Crew were quitting.

Did they do something? Yes. Did they do it soon enough? Not in my opinion. Was it enough? Apparently not as the cruise before mine was ill, my cruise was ill, and the two after mine were ill. And we're to think that it's all because people boarded the boat with the illness and then spread it? Or is it more logical that the illness was on the ship and persisted?

How about hand sanitizers that were empty? Or hand sanitizers that didn't work? Or the lack of sanitizers at places like the library and Internet cafe, two very pubilc places where people all touch the same things as a matter of usage? Those are things we witnessed. We also witnessed people being taken off the boat in stretchers.

I've been on two cruises. I got sick on the first. Same thing. I was told by crew not to drink the ship's water and to only use bottled water. I ignored them, I got sick. Did I raise Cain like I am now? No. I didn't know of anyone else sick. The ship was clean. Was it definitively the water? I don't know. But that ship was well run and clean and staffed with helpful service. I chalked it up to bad luck.

This second cruise was totally different and sub-par by any standards.

Norovirus is primarily spread by contaminated food and water. That means food handlers or how passengers are allowed access to food. Secondary contamination from person-to-person is much less common but has been documented. So chances are that it came from the food, especially salad prepared by ill food handlers. And are we to fault passengers for that? Or again, assume that they all brought it onboard? If they all brought it onboard, then other ships in the same harbors as the Aloha should also have had outbreaks as passengers frequent the same restaurants and stores. But that didn't happen. The Aloha was ill and ill for four months. We haven't heard of outbreaks at hotels or resorts. Just the Aloha. No outbreaks on the islands. Just the Aloha.

Sorry for the rant, but what you're claiming just doesn't add up with the facts. Not trying to insult anyone, but this is a conclusion I reach not based on being upset about the experience, but based on a large number of factual observations made over the course of seven days, corroborated by the statements of many other people onboard the ship.

And for the record, yes, everyone to whom I spoke about the service and illness on the ship was extraordinarily upset. I overheard it again and again and I engaged in conversations sometimes with those people. It is relevant because it lends support to what many have said on these boards, and this is not a court of law in which heresay could be stricken.

I know I am wasting my breath as you will never admit to posibly being even a little wrong about this. Where did you get the information the ship has had sickness for 4 months? Have you checked the CDC reports? NMNIta

I know I am wasting my breath as you will never admit to posibly being even a little wrong about this. Where did you get the information the ship has had sickness for 4 months? Have you checked the CDC reports? NMNIta

You don't need to be snide. I meant to type four weeks. It's a typo.

And hey, maybe, just maybe, you could be wrong, too?

And CDC doesn't report NCLA cruises, just NCL. They are exclusively over international. Before you question that, I emailed them and found out. Plus, you can see that from looking at what cruises they do report. It's FDA.

Try here. The alphabetized index has an error. You'll see that "N" and "O" are reversed in order. You click "N" to get to "O" cruise lines and vice versa.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/vsp/InspectionQueryTool/Forms/CruiseLineDirectoryList.aspx

It shows you that NCL, not NCLA, is under the governance of the CDC.

My statements about the Norwalk virus are based on this information from the FDA.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap34.html

My friend also has had chemo & radiation. I contacted NCL before we sailed and explained her situation and stressed her immunity problems. I was assured it was fine, but after she got VERY ill (day 2 of 7) we found out they had problems on the last 2 cruises. They did not give any antibiotics-just and anti nausea pill and immodiom. They did give her 2 IV bags of fluids in the infirmery By day 4 I was ill too so we spent 5 days out 7 confined to our cabin. She has had 4 office vists and 2 different prescriptions since we disenbarked 6/9 and is finally feeling a little better. We wanted to get off early but they claimed they could not get us a flight back to CA sooner. I had a real problem even getting ice from Room service. She thought she would like some broth after a few days- they finally brought Ramen noodles!!! She did not need the salt content. We are both in our late 60's and I had to get her back to NY State to get decent treatment.

My friend also has had chemo & radiation. I contacted NCL before we sailed and explained her situation and stressed her immunity problems. I was assured it was fine, but after she got VERY ill (day 2 of 7) we found out they had problems on the last 2 cruises. They did not give any antibiotics-just and anti nausea pill and immodiom. They did give her 2 IV bags of fluids in the infirmery By day 4 I was ill too so we spent 5 days out 7 confined to our cabin. She has had 4 office vists and 2 different prescriptions since we disenbarked 6/9 and is finally feeling a little better. We wanted to get off early but they claimed they could not get us a flight back to CA sooner. I had a real problem even getting ice from Room service. She thought she would like some broth after a few days- they finally brought Ramen noodles!!! She did not need the salt content. We are both in our late 60's and I had to get her back to NY State to get decent treatment.

I am very sorry about your friend and hope everything will turn out ok for finally. I would hope you contacted her Ongologist prior to sailing and were assured everything would be ok. I am certainly not a doctor nor has any come forward on this subject but I do not think antibioitics would help in any way. Apparently not being able to get a flight back was true. We have flown to Hawaii about 5 or 6 times: this time of the year the flights are always filled to capacity. At least she is feeling better. NMNita

I too was on that cruise and can concur that there was alot of guest complaining on this cruise.

We did in fact receive the letter and the lifeboat drill was done on sun @ 5p in Honolulu, I felt that the guest that boarded in Maui technically were not important as everything was to the Honolulu arrivals and departures.

I too am calling ncl to complain about this cruise my 8 y.o was disappointed and think about it how can an 8 y.o complain w/ buffets/pizza/ games but they were always out of apple juice everywhere we went/OJ most mornings and took us til the 4th night to actually receive a cheese pizza instead of always being told can you just pick off the pepperonis.

crew members arguing on the buffet line, complaining about not being staffed and just not very friendly. not all crew members were bad but there were those choice few that can really make or break your cruise. the people @ reception were no help. we did not receive half of the things promised on our romance package or bon voyage package. areas @ the pool not cleaned for hours literally.

Bartender got upset when we asked for a banana colada and my husband just verified she understood that it was banana not pina and stated back to him that she knew how to make it, of course was made wrong so we went back and she still insisted that it was which I in turn told her first it was not a virgin banana colada and secondly it was pina she told me that she knew how to make it and that I must be mistaken since she was the bartender which in turn I told her so was I @ one time and that this was not the right drink.

Next the staff would wear their gloves cleaning tables,touching own clothing then go behind the line and serve us.

No protocol for even standard precautions.

we brought our children on this cruise after going on the wind last year where we had a wonderful time, we also met 2 couples where one did the wind last year also and convinced their friends to come and they were all complaining about the service also.

in turn will I sail NCL yes will I sail NCLA not in any near future til things really look like the are changing

I am the guy that said my wife has cancer and that we were scheduled to sail on the Pride of Aloha On July 14. I posted a comment about our situation.

I have since cancelled the cruise and got a full refund, mainly because we cancelled within 24 hours and Norwegian had not yet received payment. We have rebooked on the Pride of America, hopefully it will be a better choice. The Pride of Hawaii is NOT taking three people or more in any booking

until Sept...reason???? because the crew is new???

Jerry

Oklahoma

The Pride of Hawaii is NOT taking three people or more in any booking

until Sept...reason???? because the crew is new???

Interesting! Maybe it's due to staffing being low and they are working on bulking it up? Purely speculation.

The Pride of Hawaii is NOT taking three people or more in any booking until Sept...reason???? because the crew is new???
Probably not. Capacity is more likely. Summer is high season. If they book three to as many rooms that will accommodate three then there will be cabins sailing empty because they can't go over capacity. I wonder why things like this are automatically attributed to something negative??? :confused:

Howdy All,

I went on my very first cruise with my wife on June 9th aboard the Pride of Aloha. I have been visiting this website for about a month before our cruise and have followed this dicussion every since I returned. I would just like to add my $0.02 to all of this.

Being my first cruise I didn't know what to expect but a friend turned me on to this website so I did my best to check it out. I knew this cruise would be different than most because it was a port intensive cruise versus one that spends a couple or more days at sea. I also knew it was different because it was an American crew and I learned from this board that that would probably make a difference in the service aboard as compared to other ships.

I can say that in my view the service aboard was about 50/50 in employees that were trying to really be helpful and those that could give a flying flip about the "service" the were providing. I was expecting 4-star quality (out of 5) and got probably 2-star. I won't go into too many details because muchof what has already been chronicled here is what I witnessed and was treated to as well in terms of the service (e.g. poor room cleaning, no towels, long lines, running out of food, etc.). I can say that nearly everything that has been stated before is true and accurate with my experience as well.

My cruise was plagued with the virus although no one in my group of 6 (inlaws, and another couple also travelled with us) was infected. We received a letter of a 10% infection rate just like many others as we were walking onto the ship (which I thought was a little late to be offering folks a refund since we travelled 8.5 hours on a jet to get there and didn't really have any other options). I thought that the efforts the crew were taking to minimize the spread of the virus were adequate at least what I saw in regard to passenger to passenger contamination, with the only way to be more aggressive would have been to cancel the cruise. Everytime we boarded the ship they would spray our hands with dissinfectant and then ask us to use the sanitizing solution in the globes. What they were doing behind the scenes I can't speak too since I didn't see or have any knowledge of their efforts.

Overall our cruise experience was mediocre with the vacation being wonderful. Had we been on the ship longer, I think our experience would have been worse. However since it was a port intensive cruise, we got off the ship early and didn't return until the last minute at each location. The time on the ship was definitely not a highlight.

And to the fella that needed more voices to convince him the attitude on the ship was not favorable, well add mine to that growing list. Like the guy david mentioned, I encountered a very large number of opinionated people aboard the ship complaining about service in the elevators, lines, and other public places on the ship. You didn't have to ask, as many people volunteered their experience or discussed their dissatifaction loud enough that you could not help but over-hear them. It was quite obvious to anyone that had ears that this feeling of dissatisfaction permeated throughout the ship. It did get to the point where it seemed everyone was resigned to the quality of the service and it became somewhat of a joke. And futhermore, I have yet to see anyone reply with an overwhelmingly positive review or even a overall positive review during this same time frame.

I'd also like to add is that I am amazed by the number of folks on this board who are "Doubting Thomases." These people who had negative experiences were on-board and most if not all of the defenders were not. Where I live, I tend to believe the people who were actually there and in this case, I was one of them. My experience doesn't sound as bad as some but it certainly can't be described as positive. The destinations saved this cruise for me because the service on the ship was poor.

And finally to the lady who said little things don't bother her, I'd just say that the devil is always in the detail. In this sense, one or two little things is excusable, but a bunch of little things can leave one dissatisfied. Now couple that with one or two larger issues and now you have someone who is really angry if not irate and those little things are just more fuel for the fire. We received mints on 2 nights out of the 7 and my wife was definitely excited to have gotten them those 2 times. It sounds stupid I know but little things do make a difference, heck most of the arguements I get into are over little things. The big things usually get worked out because the are Big.

I don't think I have been scared away from cruising but I certainly think my next experience has no way to go but up from this one.

Well that's my $0.02 and I appreciate the opportunity to give it and I thank anybody who takes time to read it. And thanks to everybody who contributes to this board; I think there are probably a lot of folks like me who never write anything (until now) but do gather valuable information from y'all. I know y'all helped me out regardless of my experience on board the POAl.

Welcome to the board! Thanks for joining and for using us before the cruise and for giving your comments after your cruise. I always enjoy reading the comments from first time cruisers. I have just a few comments.

Being my first cruise I didn't know what to expect but a friend turned me on to this website so I did my best to check it out. I knew this cruise would be different than most because it was a port intensive cruise versus one that spends a couple or more days at sea. I also knew it was different because it was an American crew and I learned from this board that that would probably make a difference in the service aboard as compared to other ships.

I was expecting 4-star quality (out of 5) and got probably 2-star.

You read the board and felt that you knew what to expect in terms of service, etc. from an all American crew and you expected 4 star service? That's interesting to me. As a first time cruiser you had no preconceived notions of how it should be. Your only opinion was from reviews here. That tells me that the POAL is a pretty good ship based on reviews you read (4 star) and that the virus is the factor that changed things. Not the crew, etc. Thanks for that observation.
My cruise was plagued with the virus although no one in my group of 6 (inlaws, and another couple also travelled with us) was infected. We received a letter of a 10% infection rate just like many others as we were walking onto the ship (which I thought was a little late to be offering folks a refund since we travelled 8.5 hours on a jet to get there and didn't really have any other options).
I'm glad no one in your party was sick. That would have definitely been a terrible way to spend your first cruise. That tells me that the crew was trying to contain the virus because not everyone got it. Great. Just curious...if the location would have been different, would you have canceled?
I'd also like to add is that I am amazed by the number of folks on this board who are "Doubting Thomases." These people who had negative experiences were on-board and most if not all of the defenders were not. Where I live, I tend to believe the people who were actually there and in this case, I was one of them. My experience doesn't sound as bad as some but it certainly can't be described as positive. The destinations saved this cruise for me because the service on the ship was poor.
This is the nature of message boards. When you open up your experience to the internet you open it up to be debated and challenged. From what I've read no one has said anyone is lying or making things up. People have asked questions to clarify and given counter opinions but no one has said anyone that was on the cruise is wrong. I find it hard to believe that NCL didn't do everything they could to stop this virus. Someone on this thread said NCL didn't do enough. I'm doubtful of that statement and the fact that no one in your party got sick makes me think that the best efforts were made. But if that member doesn't think NCL did enough, then he thinks that. I'm not saying he's wrong. Doubting Thomases are the backbone of every message board.

Thanks so much again for giving your account. Every experience added gives an ever better overall picture of the events. I hope your next cruise is better. I don't know if you'll try NCL again but some of the other ships have stellar reputations.

Howdy All,

I went on my very first cruise with my wife on June 9th aboard the Pride of Aloha. I have been visiting this website for about a month before our cruise and have followed this dicussion every since I returned. I would just like to add my $0.02 to all of this.

I can say that in my view the service aboard was about 50/50 in employees that were trying to really be helpful and those that could give a flying flip about the "service" the were providing. I was expecting 4-star quality (out of 5) and got probably 2-star. I won't go into too many details because muchof what has already been chronicled here is what I witnessed and was treated to as well in terms of the service (e.g. poor room cleaning, no towels, long lines, running out of food, etc.). I can say that nearly everything that has been stated before is true and accurate with my experience as well.

My cruise was plagued with the virus although no one in my group of 6 (inlaws, and another couple also travelled with us) was infected. We received a letter of a 10% infection rate just like many others as we were walking onto the ship (which I thought was a little late to be offering folks a refund since we travelled 8.5 hours on a jet to get there and didn't really have any other options). I thought that the efforts the crew were taking to minimize the spread of the virus were adequate at least what I saw in regard to passenger to passenger contamination, with the only way to be more aggressive would have been to cancel the cruise. Everytime we boarded the ship they would spray our hands with dissinfectant and then ask us to use the sanitizing solution in the globes. What they were doing behind the scenes I can't speak too since I didn't see or have any knowledge of their efforts.

Overall our cruise experience was mediocre with the vacation being wonderful. Had we been on the ship longer, I think our experience would have been worse. However since it was a port intensive cruise, we got off the ship early and didn't return until the last minute at each location. The time on the ship was definitely not a highlight.

And to the fella that needed more voices to convince him the attitude on the ship was not favorable, well add mine to that growing list. Like the guy david mentioned, I encountered a very large number of opinionated people aboard the ship complaining about service in the elevators, lines, and other public places on the ship. You didn't have to ask, as many people volunteered their experience or discussed their dissatifaction loud enough that you could not help but over-hear them. It was quite obvious to anyone that had ears that this feeling of dissatisfaction permeated throughout the ship. It did get to the point where it seemed everyone was resigned to the quality of the service and it became somewhat of a joke. And futhermore, I have yet to see anyone reply with an overwhelmingly positive review or even a overall positive review during this same time frame.

And finally to the lady who said little things don't bother her, I'd just say that the devil is always in the detail. In this sense, one or two little things is excusable, but a bunch of little things can leave one dissatisfied. Now couple that with one or two larger issues and now you have someone who is really angry if not irate and those little things are just more fuel for the fire. We received mints on 2 nights out of the 7 and my wife was definitely excited to have gotten them those 2 times. It sounds stupid I know but little things do make a difference, heck most of the arguements I get into are over little things. The big things usually get worked out because the are Big.

I don't think I have been scared away from cruising but I certainly think my next experience has no way to go but up from this one.

Well that's my $0.02 and I appreciate the opportunity to give it and I thank anybody who takes time to read it. And thanks to everybody who contributes to this board; I think there are probably a lot of folks like me who never write anything (until now) but do gather valuable information from y'all. I know y'all helped me out regardless of my experience on board the POAl.

Since I am the lady that said the little things are indeed little, I will respond. Little things that you allow to break your spirit is not worth the paper they are written on. Even when they keep piling up, they are still individual little things. The big scheme of life consists of living to the fullest the life that God has allowed you to live. When we allow little things to make our lives miserable, we have lost sight of that goal. Why consistently look on things that happen as negative experiences? What happen to being happy to be on vacation with those you love and cherish? Why allow "no mints" to ruin you cruise? Accept things as they happen and your outlook would be much better and maybe you could improve the outlook others have at the same time.

We look at the positive side of things.We understand it is not a perfect world we live in. SO we choose to ignore the negative and focus on the positive.

Sickness on the ship is one thing, but to say it is the fault of NCL is ridiculous. NCL did not bring the virus on the ship to make people sick. People brought the virus on ship and NCL did do things to try to stop the spread.

To the people that say the crew and servers are rude, nasty and etc, crew and servers in land based companies are rude and nasty and etc. It is not unique to NCL, it is the fault of all of us for allowing society to degrade to the point it is today, the "give me, me first, only me important" attitude of the people that prevails in today's times.

Can we not agree to disagree and let this die? There are much better things to do with our time than keeping this debate going.

Now I am truly finished with this thread and I hope you all have a blast finger pointing at each other as being wrong.

Damm the torpedoes and full speed ahead.:rolleyes:

Sickness on the ship is one thing, but to say it is the fault of NCL is ridiculous. NCL did not bring the virus on the ship to make people sick. People brought the virus on ship and NCL did do things to try to stop the spread.

Oh? You can proove this? A passenger brought onboard? Not a crew member? Isn't that a possibility?

Did they do things to try and stop it? Yes. Enough? Not in my opinion. And if you can conclude that they did their absolute best after reading all the deficiencies in cleanliness that different passengers aboard that ship have reported, then more power to you. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Now I am truly finished with this thread and I hope you all have a blast finger pointing at each other as being wrong.

It is my sincere hope, too, that you will at least admit the possibility that you could actually be incorrect to some lesser or greater degree. But I won't put a blast finger in the equation. I don't know what that is, and the sound of it frightens me a bit.

You read the board and felt that you knew what to expect in terms of service, etc. from an all American crew and you expected 4 star service? That's interesting to me. As a first time cruiser you had no preconceived notions of how it should be. Your only opinion was from reviews here. That tells me that the POAL is a pretty good ship based on reviews you read (4 star)...

Following your logic, wouldn't be just as safe to conclude that the PoAl was a pretty good ship that currently seems to be experiencing some pretty serious issues and how it fares in the future remains to be seen?

and that the virus is the factor that changed things. Not the crew, etc. Thanks for that observation.

Let's not be too selective in our quotes. Context matters. Consider this:

Service does seem to have been a consideration in addition to the illness.

I'm doubtful of that statement and the fact that no one in your party got sick makes me think that the best efforts were made.

One party stays well, and that leads to the conclusion that they made their best efforts? That assumes the premise that at least one person per party on that boat must have fallen ill to demonstrate that they didn't do enough? Is that really what you mean?

Folks, I'm sorry, but if you've read all these posts--service aside--and just looked at people's comments on sanitation, and you feel that NCLA isn't responsible to some degree, then I want to come and live in your world. I'll put on the rose-colored glasses and enjoy the water that tastes like lemonade.

There is absolutely no benefit to NCL or NCLA to not do everything in their power to stop the spread of this virus. And NCL and NCLA can do absolutely positively everything to clean their ship but if the passengers bring on the virus and spread it, NCL and NCLA can't do anything about that. You and others may not think NCL or NCLA did enough because you got sick. But if you'd been one of the ones to not get sick, you'd think they did a good job. I'm not saying you didn't have a bad time. I'm saying that if you think NCL and NCLA sat idly by and did nothing then you're wrong. They might have gone above and beyond and people could still have gotten sick.

Cecilia--of course there is no benefit to NCLA to run their ships in subpar condition, come on, we are not stupid. You seem to be ignoring (notice I did not say "missing") the point that NCLA sailed for consequetive weeks with a ship that continually had clients Norovirus attacks. Perhaps this is because it has two different embarkments, so sick cruisers continually infect the next batch. or it could be transmitted to each new group of cruiser by the crew (most likely). The point is the ship should have been either banned from sailing for a week so that the problem could be curtailed, instead of continuin on. By the way Celcilia, have you been on an NCLA ship in the last month--are you giving a first hand impression--what is your status on this?

You guys have fun! I'm with dwrist. I can't give my opinion without people telling me I'm wrong. I never said any of you were wrong but it must not go both ways. I'm not interested in debating every single word of everything I write. I'll leave you to dissect somebody else's posts. I have my opinion on this and it won't change. :D Happy Cruising Ya'll

If the cabin says it has a pullman, why was there a cot? Doesnt a pullman come down from the wall? We are in a quad on the POH that has the same description as the cabin the OP had. I was told a bunk will come down, so they should have been able to use that instead of a cot.

Just reading the postings here. I find the musings of interest. My wife and I were on the 5/28 to 6/4 POAh cruise. There was sickness on that one as well. The crew worked hard I thought, but were shorthanded. Seemingly they did the best they could. We enjoyed the cruise, the islands, and the excursions. Of our 6 cruises now this was the least favorite as far as the cruise itself, but hey, it was Hawaii. Fortunately we did not come down ill ourselves, but know others that did. Definitely improvements are in order for this ship.

Bidbit

We were on the same cruise (boarded HNL the 18th) and I would say I must disagree with the OP - things were not NEARLY as good as he painted them. In fact, we've taken to referring to the ship as the "Shame of Aloha". I was planning to write a review myself, but this thread seems to have it all covered. Yes, people got sick - 3 (at least) in our party alone. Would love to know how anyone got dinner in only 2 hours!:confused:

Archived