June22-Halifax 4 day on Victory with toddlers

Moocat

Hi everyone,

I've already read some other posts and have many similar opinions on this cruise. This was my 4th cruise, 1st on Carnival and also 1st to somewhere not caribbean.

It was my sister and I, and we each have a 3 year old.

We live in NJ and embarkation was a snap, we arrived about noon and were on the boat by 12:30 and eating lunch. Our room was ready shortly after as well. We were in cabin 8392 a balcony room. We thought there was a pull out couch in our room, but it was a couch and a ceiling bunk and no one wanted to sleep on either so we all slept on the bed (and actually fit comfortably). There was no fridge in this room which was kinda a downer with the kids, but we were located one deck below the Med dining area and next to the stairs which lead to it so we were able to run up for a milk or juice very conveniently. The room was okay in size, there was about a 5 x 5 play area beside the bed when you moved the little table to the side. The balcony was always wet because of the fog and weather.

After we left NY it was foggy the entire trip pretty much. At times the visibilty was maybe 20 feet. On the second day there was a hazy sun breaking thru, and there were some people in bathing attire, but for us too cold. We were in jeans almost every day of the trip. The pools were always 70 degrees. We opted for the jacuzzi one night which was nice. You do need to bring sweaters and long pants for this trip, at least at this time of year.

The kids camp was a good thing. If not for that our children would have been bored to death. There is nothing for you to do with them at this age on the boat. It would have been nice to have a play area that you could bring them to. They had a small pool you could use, but the weather did not permit. The camp does not let you in at all after their tour to partake in activities with your child. You walk up to a door to sign them in and out. They did many fun activities with them thank goodness and they seemed to like it. The babysitting started at 10 pm till 3am, and it was $6 an hour.

Some of the food was better then I thought it would be. Like others have said the pizza, deli and steak ums were quite good. I like that they had a buffet by the pool each day that offered food from around the world because I got to taste things I would not have. It was indian, greek and mexican for this trip. We were were in the pacific dining room and had a booth for the 4 of us. The waiter was not very friendly or accomadating. He never offered us grated cheese, sour cream or any toppings for the meal. No small talk either. The waitress in the next station however was so friendly and visited us and our children every night. So I guess it's luck of the draw. No midnight buffet or chocolate thing. The meals in the dining room in my opinion were just ok. The steak was dry, and the lobster was chewy and tasteless. We often wound up eating again at the buffet. The pasta dishes were descent and some of the appetizers were good. Oh and the ceaser salad was good too.

The only thing I can comment on as far as Halifax was the weather... and that was cold and rainy for us. We got off the boat and did some shopping right at the pier you stop at but we could not venture beyond in the rain, with the strollers and all. It was kinda a bummer due to the weather for us.

Overall , I would not go back to Cananda. Just did not compare to me. Maybe when the weather is nice they have more to do. The boat was clean and had some nice areas but as another reviewer said the layout is quite annoying, lots of dead ends. I would cruise carnival again, just try a different boat.

Oh and helicopter rescue was quite interesting. We were able to watch the entire thing from our balcony, which took about a half hour. The copter was hovering in the fog right outside the room and it was really exciting for the kids. I hope the young woman is made out okay.

Sorry for the jumbled review, I just kinda blurted out whatever came to mind. Thanks for listenting! Hope ot helped.

Do you think your review would be different if the weather was nicer?

I am in SE Mass and leave Saturday for the 5 day. The weather has been miserable pretty much for the last 2 months here. Next week, weather is supposed to clear up. I have been prepping my kids that sldie and pool may not happen. However they are 13 and 7 so different.

Thank you for the review. We are also traveling on July 1st and look forward to great weather, no rain or fog, 80 degree days, 60 degree nights... okay so dreaming is ok isn't it.

Lulu- the advance weather reports are looking promising and I hope to find the pool area full on Sunday and our kids the first inline for the slide.

Alan

I absolutely think that if the weather was nice it would have been better as far as the cruise goes. We could have been outside more and spent some time swimming or on the slide at least. The Slide was open one day for the kids, and it seemed like they all were having a blast regardless of it being slightly cold. If the weather is lame at least your kids are older, so they can goto the arcade and there is a disco for your older one that seemed to be packed with kids. The karaoke was lots of kids too.

As far as Canada, even though I did not venture anywhere, I could just tell it was not my cup of tea. It seemed great for history buffs or people who like bar hopping, pubs and beer! I am just partial to the clear blue waters of the carribean. :cool:

I absolutely think that if the weather was nice it would have been better as far as the cruise goes. We could have been outside more and spent some time swimming or on the slide at least. The Slide was open one day for the kids, and it seemed like they all were having a blast regardless of it being slightly cold. If the weather is lame at least your kids are older, so they can goto the arcade and there is a disco for your older one that seemed to be packed with kids. The karaoke was lots of kids too.

As far as Canada, even though I did not venture anywhere, I could just tell it was not my cup of tea. It seemed great for history buffs or people who like bar hopping, pubs and beer! I am just partial to the clear blue waters of the carribean. :cool:

Thanks for your review. I too liek the Caribbean but not in summer. This is my dh's only week off except for Christmas. We were limited in where to go. I originally wanted to do Bermuda(my fave island) but way too pricey for a short notice cruise. :( I wish Carnival would serioulsy consider sending a ship there out of NYC.

I agree. I would love to see cruises to Bermuda out of NY. The options of the 8 night to the Eastern Carib. or Canada just aren't varied enough! We went to Canada late last August. While a bit cool and foggy on the port days, the sea days up and back were warm and sunny and it felt like the Caribbean. It's just a matter of catching the right weather pattern...:D , or not....:(

Archived