Mercury vs. Oosterdam

bentpilot

Any thoughts? Mexican Riviera, 7 nights. Oosterdam leaves San Diego, Mercury leaves LA. Departure port is same distance for us. Itineraries are not a big deal for us, just a relaxing cruise. Balcony class cabin. We have never cruised with Celebrity or HAL. Thanks! :)

We have cruise both Celebrity and HAL - the onlky thing I see is that you're comparing an old ship of Celebrity's with the newer Oosterdam - if you're looking at the ships as opposed to the ports you should maybe keep this in mind. Both cruise lines are fantastic!

Any thoughts? Mexican Riviera, 7 nights. Oosterdam leaves San Diego, Mercury leaves LA. Departure port is same distance for us. Itineraries are not a big deal for us, just a relaxing cruise. Balcony class cabin. We have never cruised with Celebrity or HAL. Thanks! :)

Are you sure you looked at the right cruise, I believe Mercury also sails out of San Diego, Diamond Princess generally sails out of LA, Dawn Princess San Francisco.

What dates are looking at?

We cruised the Mexican Riviera on Oosterdam last January. It is a wonderful ship. My first time on HAL. For X, we have only cruised on the Millenium and will be on Infinity this summer. I can tell you what I loved about the Oosterdam was the warmth of the wood out on the decks. It has a more "traditional" feel I think and we met some wonderful people on board that we still keep in touch with. It's a tough choice - both are great cruise lines. I like X because it "feels" a little more glitzy and I like HAL because it feels a little more "traditional". When I walked the wooden decks on HAL, it made me think about my grandmother who travelled to Canada on a boat back in the 20's. The locals in the ports in Mexico always called the Oosterdam the Titanic (because of the dark hull of the ship). Good luck in your decision and enjoy your cruise.

Linda

We were on the Pride in November, docked in PV and the Oosterdam was anchored right off our balcony. I was lusting after that ship, it was so beautiful. Not that I didn't love the Pride, we did. I just know that we will try HAL when we aren't going with a teenager!

I just got off the Oosterdam to Alaska in an SS suite and have a red pin. I get no benefits from HAL and will not be back. I have sailed the Mercury twice and have elite status with Celebrity. I like the ship and benefits. Am booked on Feb, 08 Australia-NZ in a balcony cabin. The same cruise on HAL I would be lucky to get an outside for the same price on this cruise.

We were on the Pride in November, docked in PV and the Oosterdam was anchored right off our balcony. I was lusting after that ship, it was so beautiful. Not that I didn't love the Pride, we did. I just know that we will try HAL when we aren't going with a teenager!

That's so funny because on our cruise we saw the Pride and my DH and I thought it was beautiful. So we were on the Oosterdam wondering about the Pride and you were on the Pride wondering about the Oosteredam....:D

I just got off the Oosterdam to Alaska in an SS suite and have a red pin. I get no benefits from HAL and will not be back. I have sailed the Mercury twice and have elite status with Celebrity. I like the ship and benefits. Am booked on Feb, 08 Australia-NZ in a balcony cabin. The same cruise on HAL I would be lucky to get an outside for the same price on this cruise.

How many cruises have you done with HAL? Our tablemates had been on several and always seemed to be at "private" events and receiving many benefits. That was our first HAL cruise so we didn't receive any benefits.

Archived