Aquarium/Crystal Caves - on our own or with a tour?

Figsgrandma

We will be docked at Kings Wharf from Tuesday morning (July 25th) through Wednesday afternoon (July 26th). One possible excursion we are considering is a 4 hour bus tour to the Aquarium, Museum & Zoo, and the caves.

My question is whether it is necessary/preferable to take an excursion to these places, or if it makes more sense to do this on our own. I think we should do it on our own because (1) the tour leaves from Hamilton and we have to get to Hamilton on our own to meet the tour; and (2) by going on our own we can spend as much or as little time as we want at each of the locations.

We are not concerned about getting around on our own, as long as we have clear instructions.

Any advice, including the best way to get to these attractions if we do it on our own, would be appreciated. As background, my husband and I are in our 50s, physically able to get around, and will have no children with us.

Laurel

Hi,

You can purchase a two day bus\sea pass on the ship - I guess you are going on Explorer - for $20 p/p. This pass gives you unlimited access to either the seajet or buses all day long. You can take the seajet to Hamilton & the bus to the caves, etc. as this will allow you more time to explore on your own. Or you can take a bus directly from Kings Wharf to wherever you want to go in Bermuda. We went in May and just loved Bermuda so we are going back in September on Explorer. If you are planning on going to the beach - plan on Jobsons Cove or Horseshoe Bay they are both absolutely beautiful! Have a wonderful cruise....

is the seajet like a water taxi? and can you go anywhere in Bermuda with the bus/seajet pass?

It is not called the seajet, it is the Sea Express. It is not as fast as the name sea jet implies as it is a ferry. Nevertheless, it is an excellent way to see Bermuda from the water. The transportation pass allows you to use all the buses and ferries with unlimited use. Just a fantastic deal for $20 per person for 2 days. The buses go from one end of the Island at the Dockyards through Hamilton all the way to the other end of the Island to St George. The main ferries go back and forth from the dockyard to Hamilton and to St George. There are also local ferries from Hamilton to smaller stops.

We did just what you are thinking last July. We purchased the two day passes on the ship ahead of arrival. We were off the ship as early as possible, took the Ferry to Hamilton, then walked from the Ferry dock to the bus station (only a few small blocks). The bus system was very clear, and if you had any questions, the bus driver would help out. At Crystal caves, the only drawback was the bus stop was a little bit of a walk from where the tours start, but not too bad. We then saw the zoo, and we ended our day at Horseshoe Beach to let the kids go for a swim. From Horseshoe beach we took a taxi (minivan) back to the ship, and it was worth the $25 cab fare I think it was. The taxi driver was extremely friendly and gave us a good tour the whole way back.

My family still calls it the 'Power Tour' of Bermuda, but we did more in one day than many did in several trips. If all in your party are in good shape and don't mind a little walking, it is a fun thing to do, and be able to say you did it! We didn't rush through anything, and we had a great day. The key is to start early, then you can take your time and go as fast/slow as you want.

One other suggestion -- I see you're going in July, and we were there last year in July. Take a backpack or something, and bottled water. It will be hot, and you'll appreciate the water.

There is a small refreshment/counter service restaruant at the caves that was good for us, and also at the bus stop near the caves is a small ice cream shop (across the street from the Swizzle Inn). We had a light lunch (split some Fries and hot dogs) at the Caves, and after the caves we had an ice cream before going to the zoo.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. We've pretty much decided that this is what we're going to do. We both like to do a lot of walking when on vacation, so we should be OK. We're prepared for it to be hot, and in addition to carrying water will be wearing hats and using sunscreen.

I'm not sure we'll go to the beach, but I'm sure we can find other things to do unless we're too tired, in which case we'll just go back to the ship. This will be the first cruise where we overnight in a port, and it seems nice to know that we don't have to worry about getting back at any particular time.

You should do the Zoo/Aquarium on your own rather than with a tour. Tours only give you around an hour to see the facility which is not enough time. You just start rushing around trying to see everything. One-and-a-half to two hours is the usual time it takes, or maybe longer if you like to take it slow or have an interest in botany (there is a wide range of plants growing around the zoo).

Here's a standard way to do the Aquarium/Caves, assuming you are at King's Wharf:

1) Take the ferry to Hamilton

2) Walk to the bus terminal: from the ferry stop go right, turn left at the next street (Irish Linen store is at the corner), walk to the end of the street (two blocks), turn right, the bus terminal is about a block down next to City Hall.

3) Take the number 10 or 11 bus, they go past the Aquarium. The Aquarium is about 15 minutes away just after a small bridge. Note: cash only for admission, they don't take credit cards.

4) After you tour the Aquarium/Zoo go back to the same bus stop, catch the next 10/11 to the Swizzle Inn (about 10 minutes)

5) Lunch at Swizzle or at the ice cream parlour across the street

6) The Caves are down the road that is next to the ice cream parlour, about 100-200 yards.

7) To get back to Hamilton either wait for the #1 or #3 bus, which go by the Caves, or walk back to the Swizzle and catch the number 10/11. All of the buses go back to Hamilton. You should be standing by a bus stop with a pink pole, not a blue one (pink pole - bus is going to Hamilton, blue pole - bus is going away from Hamilton), that way you know you are at the proper side of the street.

8) In Hamilton either take the ferry back or catch the #7 bus which goes back to King's Wharf but goes along the South Shore so you can see some of the island and the beaches. The #7 takes at least an hour to get to King's Wharf from Hamilton though.

These directions are just what I wanted, and we're definetly going to do this on our own, so we can go at our own pace and see what we want.

You mentioned that we need cash for admissions. Are US dollars accepted?

These directions are just what I wanted, and we're definetly going to do this on our own, so we can go at our own pace and see what we want.

You mentioned that we need cash for admissions. Are US dollars accepted?

They accept US dollars. I was just at the Aquarium/Zoo and the Crystal Caves a few weeks ago. I did not think much of the aquarium or zoo. Guess I am jaded from having visited US zoos and US aquariums. I would not have done them if I had known in advance what they were like. The caves I think are worth a visit.

Can anyone give the admission prices for the aquarium and the caves? Thanks!

I haven't been there yet - we leave in 2 weeks - but according to their web sites, admission to the Aquarium is $10 for adults, and $5 for senior citizens and children between ages 5 - 12. For Crystal Caves, it depends on whether you go to one of both caves. For Crystal Cave it's $12 adults and $7 children 5 - 12. For Crystal and Fantasy Caves it's $18 adults, $8 children 5 - 12.

I assume these are the current prices.

Laurel

Definately do it yourself, and get to the caves early!

BIG HINT: Fantasy Cave is the better cave, and it's right next door.

Here is a very detailed review of Zenith to Bermuda. We were there for a week. We stopped in Hamilton and St. George. Hints and tips about the ship, island transportation, beaches, caves, forts and sea glass. http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

Enjoy your trip.

With a three day bus/ferry pass there is NO need to take tours.. The only tour that we have taken in ten trips is a bus tour all around the island.. When you buy your passes there will be lots of brochures on sights to see.. opposite the Swizzle Inn (not to be missed) is the glass factory.. You Swizzle Inn and stagger out what with their rum punches, chicken wings, chowder, fish sandwiches.. and at night.. it's a blast with karaoke.. and it's right on the bus stop.. but be wary.. the buses only run to a certain hour.. I'll be there in less than two months.. having my rum swizzle on the balcony listenng to the Bermuda Symphony (ambulances)

Archived