planning help for 2007

Ok, this site helped us considerably with our just completed cruise to Alaska, we are now starting to focus on our end of June 2007 cruise to the Baltic's. We are looking at cruising with Jewel of the Seas departing from London, spending 3 days prior in Paris and traveling on the chunnel to London. My first question , is the Jewel itinerary good or should I look at other cruise lines? Am i crazy to think we can do Paris prior to our trip and London post trip? What are the cant misses of the ports, and were other than cruise critic can I begin doing research? Thank you for your help.

While I can't comment on the Paris aspect of your agenda, exactly one year ago today, we were aboard the Jewel of the Sea/RRC for their Baltic Cruise. Being it was our first "big ship & European" cruise, we were awe-struck but we thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. We thought there was a perfect balance of at-sea time and port-of-calls. The ports were delightful. We have learned that we hit upon idea weather conditions throughout our trek ~ no rain. Our only disappointment came with unseasonable heat in St. Petersburg and the excursion buses ill-equiped to accommodate the situation (ironically, our only port/ship excursions, as we had planned/mapped out everyother city ourselves & had great success). Our review: Copenhagen was our most favorite overall city, St. Petersburg's opulence of treasures was the most awesome and Tallinn was the most friendly/happy. We had added on 1 day in London prior to our departure at Harwich and that worked out perfectly for our needs. The 4 of us hired a private driver ~ efficient and reasonable ~ for the drive from London to Harwich. Have a pleasant & safe journey.:)

We also took the JOTS last August and loved the trip. We did the 3-nights of London prior to the trip. I'm glad we did as it gave our bodies the opportunity to acclimate to the time change so when we got on the ship, we were well rested and ready for the adventure.

We did hit rain in Copenhagen and St. Petersburg, but nothing that altered our plans....it came and went.

We did all the cities independently, except for St. Petersburg, where we hooked up with another couple and hired Red October. We also used the ship's transfers to/from the ship, as we stayed in one of their contracted hotels in London...

All around it was a great trip!

Thank you for your answers, I have now narrowed my choices either to JOTS, or the Celebrity cruise Constellation. The differences are that the Constellation has Oslo and Gdansk but no Stockholm. Times at port are similar, and the ships are about the same size. I have sailed with both lines and have enjoyed both. MY question is again which itinerary seems better and which would you choose for a Baltic cruise?

Ok, this site helped us considerably with our just completed cruise to Alaska, we are now starting to focus on our end of June 2007 cruise to the Baltic's. We are looking at cruising with Jewel of the Seas departing from London, spending 3 days prior in Paris and traveling on the chunnel to London. My first question , is the Jewel itinerary good or should I look at other cruise lines? Am i crazy to think we can do Paris prior to our trip and London post trip? What are the cant misses of the ports, and were other than cruise critic can I begin doing research? Thank you for your help.

We are planning a Baltic cruise for June 22nd 2007. We thought about staying in Paris 2 days pre trip, taking the ferry from Calais to Dover. Cruise on the Norwegian Dream for 12 days, and upon our return to Dover we planned on staying 2 days in London, before flying home to Canada. Thing is I have just found out the the Tour de France is starting in London next year????(go figure!) I think it's July 6th 7th and 8th. If you are travelling at the end of June this may put you in London at this time. You might want to check your dates, as roads will be closed, crowds will be larger, and accomodation will be at a premium.

Guest LetMeGo
I have now narrowed my choices either to JOTS, or the Celebrity cruise Constellation. The differences are that the Constellation has Oslo and Gdansk but no Stockholm. Times at port are similar, and the ships are about the same size. I have sailed with both lines and have enjoyed both. MY question is again which itinerary seems better and which would you choose for a Baltic cruise?

In my opinion, Stockholm is a must for any Baltic cruise.

I know there's supposed to be a historical rivalry between our countries, but Stockholm is a wonderful city to visit for a day, especially in the summertime.

For starters you have the sail through the archipelago, which is pretty much a unique experience. Then there's the old town and the Wasa museum (if you're into old ships), and some damn fine views of the city centre from the hills of the southern city.

Another must-see is the City hall, as well as its tower with the post-card perfect views of especially the old town.

While I'm sure you will have a great time in either Oslo or Gdansk as well, you really should take a day to see Stockholm sooner rather than later.

Only-ncl, thank you for the heads up on the tour this shouldn't be a problem as the jewel sails on June 30Th although it would have been fun to have seen the start of the race! Tero, thank you for your comments as I tend to agree with you now that I have started to slowly research my options. I am sure I will have more questions to follow in the months to follow. Now that my reservation is made, the one question for now is how soon should I make the reservations with Red October or DEnrus for ST. Petersburg?

We have booked a cruise on the Constellation for Aug, 2007. We picked that ship over the Jewel because of the itinerary-2 days longer & a few extra ports. Any comments about the weather in early August??

NJ Gal

Rotterdam

Celebration '93

Vision of the Seas '99

Summit '01

Voyager'03

Veendam '04

Enchantment of the seas '05

Brilliance '06

Hi ! Since this is your home area, what are the can't miss tours and things to see and do on our limited time in each port. All help is appreciated. On past cruises, I have found these boards to be a wealth of information and help.

Thank,

NJ Gal

Thank you for your answers, I have now narrowed my choices either to JOTS, or the Celebrity cruise Constellation. The differences are that the Constellation has Oslo and Gdansk but no Stockholm. Times at port are similar, and the ships are about the same size. I have sailed with both lines and have enjoyed both. MY question is again which itinerary seems better and which would you choose for a Baltic cruise?

Hey PTDRULES....

I am just off the Baltic cruise on the Constellation.

Celebrity is doing it right. I will highly recommend the Constellation.

Also.... private or small group tours...all the way.

No ship tours !

Large groups & inflated prices !

I can only comment on Oslo and Copenhagen.

Oslo: Vigeland park, Holmenkollen ski jump, the Nobel venue (i don´t know were its take´s place) Akershus Fortress, the royal palace, kon tiki museum and Karl Johan Gatan.

Also the sailings in the Oslo fjord is beautiful and if ferrys/cruiseship is one of your hobbys, then maybe the worlds largest car/cruise ferry the Color Fantasy is in port on odd days.

Copenhagen: Tivoli gardens,

Strøget Shopping Street

The Castles of Christiansborg (the Parlament), Amalienborg (the Royal Residence), Rosenborg (the Crown Jewels and the kings garden), Kronborg (Hamlet) and Frederiksborg (probably the most beautiful)

Thorvaldsens museum (sculptures)

Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek (paintings and old egyptian things)

Statens museum for kunst (contemporary art)

The Karen Blixen Museum (from out of africa)

Louisiana museum of modern art.

And many many others.

is the Jewel itinerary good or should I look at other cruise lines?

You might want to check out Oceania. Their cruise is one way London to Stockholm or vice versa. Less time cruising and more time in ports. We plan on flying to London first and spending a week between London and Paris and then flying on to Stockholm for two days prior to our cruise. We end up in Dover and are going to rent a cottage or B&B on the coast for two days to unwind after the fairly port intensive cruise prior to flying home from Gatwick non-stop to Florida.

Depends what type of cruise ship you are looking for. Oceania is very relaxed and the dining experience truly is incredible. The shows are nothing to get excited about but then we aren't show people. If you think service was nice on Celebrity then you would love the service on this ship. At casual breakfast and lunch dining they never let you get your own water or coffee and are at your table before you even have time to sit down!! On our last (and final) cruise with Celebrity half the time there were no water glasses and if you could find one there was no ice not to mention it was impossible to find seats after lining up for fifteen to twenty minutes to get to the buffet.

Archived