Travelling with teens

kerry.johnson

We'll be on the Sun Princess departing Seattle on the 16th. Travelling with our three teenagers.

What excursions do you recommend for Juneau that they would enjoy. Anything that will peak their interests without breaking the bank? Will there be other teenagers on board? We've done a couple of caribbean cruises with them and they have loved it, but Alaska is a first for all of us.

Are they active teenagers who enjoy a bit of adrenaline? The Ketchikan zip lines might be interesting. In Juneau, perhaps the glacier view sea kayaking would be of interest. Some teenagers who like nature might also be interested in the Guide's Choice Adventure Hike. For cool factor, one of the excursions involving a trip to the Alaskan Brewing Company would probably give them something to boast about in their peer group. Not sure if they get to taste the beer but seeing beer being made can be a neat process.

My teens did the ziplineing in Ketchikan and that was there favorite excursion. (I think of all time) We did the Alaskan Brewery on our own (kids hung out with their Aunt) and it was awsome. They do have rootbeer for the kids. Don't think mine would have been that impressed. Skagway we took the White Pass Railroad. I think that sort of board them. Too much sitting and looking at scenery. I think they would rather have hiked (seemed like there were lots of trails to be explored) or rented bikes. Hope it helps. There were lots of kids on the Sapphire, hopefully the Sun will be the same:) Have Fun.

In Juneau, do the Coastal Helicopter Icefield Tour (take a helicopter and land on a glacier) http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/tours.htm It was one of the highlights of our trip for all of us -- especially the teens. Also hear great things about the Northstar Glacier trekking.

The Island Princess had about 40 teens on our trip and 20 signed up for the teen club. There was a core group of 12-15 that became good friends. My 2 spent a lot of time there -- both during sea days and every night after dinner. They didn't do a lot of the advertised activities because there weren't enough kids, but they got to pick what they did do -- lots of card games, some scavenger hunts and movies. They all ended up at the Horizon Court for a snack before coming back to the cabin. They had a great time .

We just returned from Mercury last week. My boys said the highlight of their trip was the Adventure Kart Expedition in Ketchikan. They got to drive and they had a ball! We did helicopter/glacier walking, but the Karts were the best thing they thought. Also, my nephew told them that Alaska cruises were all OLD people, but they were pleasantly surprised that wasn't true. We had planned to go kayaking also, but a medical evacuation on our ship changed and cancelled alot of our plans. The boys had been looking forward to kayaking as well. Hope your teens enjoy whatever you decided to do.

Cathy

Archived