Live update from the Diamond Princess July 1-8

fti

While I am in Ketchikan waiting for my Email to download, I thought I would give a quick trip report. Our trip has been EXCELLENT. Pre-cruise we went to Denali NP for 3 nights. Stayed at Wonder Lake because we really wanted to see the mountain and the best chances are later in the evening and early in the morning, when busses aren’t there. We had mosquitos but nothing a mosquito net, DEET and OFF candle/lantern couldn’t control (the candle/lantern was AMAZING. We didn’t even need mosquito nets when we lit that. I don't recall the exact name of it, but let me know if you want to know).

Tuesday our trip to WL was cloudy and rainy, even hail/snow at one point. Stopped raining by the time we arrived at WL about noon. By 7pm the mountain started coming out and stayed out until 1pm Wednesday afternoon. Then it came out again on Thursday for most of the day. I was able to take lots of pictures, even from reflection pond at sunrise and sunset.

Hiked Thursday near Stony Hill and Fish Creek. Within the first 10 minutes of our hike we saw a bear about 50 yards from us. Fortunately he didn’t see us and we moved away quickly!

Thursday evening my sister was up late and saw a wolf walk by on a trail close to our campground with a squirrel in his mouth. Very unusual to see a wolf near Wonder Lake campground.

Friday no mountain and our ride back was cloudy but we still saw wildlife on the way out.

Boarded the ship Saturday in Whittier. Great weather – again. Sunday morning at College Fjord, excellent weather, rest of day at sea.

The ship already had a cruise critic meeting planned for Sunday morning even though we on the roll call had informally planned a meeting that afternoon. They gave us a bottle of champagne to enjoy and Nick, the assistant social staff person, came by to say hello. Nick said Dan Gibbons (cruise director) often comes by but couldn’t make it this time.

Monday we entered Glacier Bay. I know this sounds like a broken record, but great weather again. All this great weather after hearing about June being terribly cold, cloudy and rainy. Our boat sat at Merjerie Glacier for about 1-1/2 hours. I had my camera with telephoto lens up to my eye almost the entire time. It finally paid off when we saw a huge calving and I took about 20 pictures of it with the huge splash in the water.

Tuesday we were in Skagway. Excellent weather..... again. Rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake. Beautiful drive. Stopped in Carcross which was a fun place to stop.

Wednesday we were in Juneau. There my family and friends took Capt. Larry’s whalewatching tour. They loved it and even saw two eagles that Capt. Larry fed to get them close to the boat. Since I took a whalewatching tour two months ago in Iceland (different I know but so much to do in Juneau), I decided to head to Mendenhall Glacier. I took the 2 hour hike around East Glacier Trail. Excellent views of the glacier and waterfall.

Today is Thursday and we are in Ketchikan. First day we have had that is almost totally overcast. But NO RAIN so we can’t complain! We have a 2.30pm flightseeing excursion booked with Southeast Aviation. We are only in Ketchikan for 8 hours so I need to use my time wisely. I also want to see eagles after typing this and doing 1 hour of work.

Tomorrow we are off for the day at sea and arrive in Vancouver 7.30am Saturday.

Food has been great as have been the shows we have seen. My sister and niece have enjoyed the Lotus Spa.

If you have any questions, I won’t be able to answer until later in the weekend when I am back home.

I would definitely sail the Diamond Princess again.

John

Archived