Queens Grill Butlers

Keith1010

After reading the boards I am still a little confused about the Queens Grill buters.

Normally, when we have had butler service on other cruise lines (Crystal and Celebrity) we had a houskeeper assigned to our suite and an assistant housekeeper and a butler. They served several adjacent suites as well.

Does this work the same way on the Cunard? Some of the posts lead me to believe that the butler also performs the functions that a housekeeper would perform but I may be wrong.

If someone can clarify this I would appreciate it.

Also, does the butler serve afternoon tea to the suites on a regular basis or do you have to contact them? Is it a few hours before they bring around canapes?

Thanks,

Keith

There is a Butler and a Steward (housekeeper) in the basic Queens Grill Suites. Supposedly as you increase your Q# (well decrease from a Q5 to Q4 to Q3.. all the way up to Duplex) you get two Butlers.

My Butler was fabulous. I never saw the Steward tho know he managed everything perfectly.

Canapes are brought around each evening... you 'ring' your Butler for most what ever else you want .. tea or towels or ... When I would 'ring' him (like a pager system you dial a number and it beeps him) he sometimes would call (if not near the suite) but most times withint like 3 minutes there was a door-bell ring and he was there!

Its the little perks in Queens Grill that I loved. The Concierge staff and lounge were wonderful. The Queen Grill Deck 11 space (always with towels and many times with fresh fruit) was a welcome place to go on a Crossing.

And of course the Queens Grill itself. Be certain to have some of the 'order ahead for two' choices ... the Duck A'la Orange was incredible. Also ASK if there is something you would like as a special order. I asked about and Indian dish (suggested Shrimp Korma) and the next night they made it enough to share with the whole table (and some for the Asst Waiter who was Indian).

We were in a Q3. We had 1 Butler and 1 assistant butler. I believe that they work as a team because when we changed butlers after complaining, the assistant/steward changed as well.

The butler did alot of the room housekeeping as well as the assistant.

Q2 grade suites, from what I could see, had the same number of staff.

We sailed in a Q5 cabin. Our butler, Ibrahim, was arrogant and sullen, and indeed, the only negative on the entire crossing. He immediately made it exceedingly clear that he had 10 other cabins to "butler." By making us feel stupid for asking, he in essence refused to provide the pillow conceirge service that was promoted right there in the cabin, and that my wife had anticipated for weeks before the voyage. I am embarrassed and ashamed that I did not immediately request (demand) a change.

His assistant, Myra--not sure of her exact title--was charming and attentive.

My wife's sister and mother, by contrasrt, enjoyed Sheena, who made it her goal of the week to deliver impeccable service.

We sailed in a Q5 cabin. Our butler, Ibrahim, was arrogant and sullen, and indeed, the only negative on the entire crossing. He immediately made it exceedingly clear that he had 10 other cabins to "butler."
Have you had "butler" service before. The only reason we complained is that we had previously been on the Oriana and had a butler who was absolutly brilliant. Otherwise we might have thought that the service that we were recieving was standard.

pillow conceirge service that was promoted right there in the cabin

What is the "pillow conceirge service"? I didn't see any mention of this in our suite.

We never had butler service before, and weren't really looking for it either, as we had booked Princess Grill (as had my wife's mother and sister), and then all of us were upgraded. As soon as we found out about the upgrade, we began researching the amenities that come along with QG, and so we had a certain expectation of what a good butler should be doing (or offering to do). And then every day, my wife and I watched Sheena in action and realized what a dud Ibrahim was (and still is, no doubt).

I really detest beginning a vacation by lodging a complaint, and I'm not one to shout and fuss about minor lapses. Part of me also thought that maybe Ibrahim would improve. But now, having had time to reflect on it, I realize that it is that very inclination of mine that Ibrahim was exploiting. I will never countenance this sort of behavior again.

As for the pillow concierge, the service is promoted in the Cunard literature and Web site, and there was a little stand-up placard on the bedside table that also talked about it (the placard was gone on day 2 of the crossing). On a Caribbean cruise last year in Princess Grill, our steward delivered the most entertaining pillow-concierge presentation you can imagine, and every night after that, arranged our pillows artfully on the bed. My wife especially, an aficionado of all things associated with linens, was anticipating the QG's take on the service, and had raised her mother's and sister's expectations as well (Sheena did a bang-up job, of course). Here again, I allowed Ibrahim's attitude to prevail, and it still bothers me.

Castelwood, what a shame your trip was not 100% what is should have been. This is exactly the time when a letter should be written to Cunard, one to praise Sheena and one to point our Ibrahaim's short comings. For the amount of money spent on a Queen cabin, this should absolutely not be allowed. Everyone has a bad day, but I think Ibrahiam just has a bad disposition, and I would think to be lucky enough to serve as a butler on Queen Mary 2 should be something to be proud of. I doubt he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and this is beneath him. By keeping quiet, he continues to ruin other people's vacations and expectations. Yes, sometimes it's hard to speak up, I am the same way too, but again, this was not an $900 inside cabin.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Keith:

I have traveled on the QM2 in the Q5 catagory then moved on to Q2 and Q1, on QE2 I have traveled in the Q1 and Q2 suites. Concerning the QM2 the service does not always increase in quality with your cabin grade, in QE2 it has always been constant and wonderful. In all three catagories on QM2 and two catagories on QE2 there was one steward responsible for the cleaning of the suite and a butler, there were never two butlers in the Q1 or Q2. The finest service I experienced from my butler was on my first trip on the QM2 and I was in a Q5. I had traveled with Sheena on the QE2 and on the QM2 and she is very nice and a pleasure to talk to, she would enter the suite without knocking or ringing the bell from time to time (rather startling when half dressed for dinner and to see your butler bounding up the staircase). Apart from this Sheena always knew what you desired or needed without needing to ask. Sheena and the other butlers who are serving or who have served aboard the QE2 seem to have the edge, due to experience, smaller service area, or better training I am not sure. Regardless of the ship though, the Cunard butlers that I have had the pleasure to meet have all gone out of their way for myself. From helping me unpack and pack, and I do not travel light, to arranging large cocktail parties in my suite through which they have stayed to serve, and made the evenings very special. I due hope that through Cunard's ups and downs the line's owners realize that the high standard of the QG staff is the basis for the worth of paying and traveling in this catagory, not simply a larger suite. It is also such a comfort to see a familiar face when you are settling into your room for a voyage, and you find yourself looking forward to catching up with each other. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer.

Best Wishes,

TAH

Archived