Messina tour on our own ? Any advice?

Can anybody give us some advice- we're on NCL Jewel in August and would like to do our own tour to Taormina and Mt Etna. Has anyone done this and did you take the train or a cab ? We'll be traveling in a group of 6 . Any help is really appriciated :)

We just returned from the Jewel, and when we were in Messina we rented a car. We liked the freedom of going where we wanted, when we wanted, for as long as we wanted. It was inexpensive (about $50) and easy to do. We rented from Argus (www.argusrentals.com) who had an office across the street from where the ship docked. There is a large multi-level parking garage in Taormina. If you decide to do this, you would need to reserve the car before your cruise. We had 3 people which wasn't a problem, but I'm not sure about a group of 6. They may rent a larger car or van -- you could check the website.

I'm glad that Argus worked out for all of you. We are using them 8/2. I know that there are a few parking areas in Taormina. Which parking area would be more convenient? We plan on first going to the Greek theater, walking around and having lunch in Taormina, then taking the funcular down to the beach.

I asked the guy at the car rental for information about the parking in Taormina. He wrote the name we should look for on our map, but I don't remember what it is now. We parked in a large multi-level parking garage and then walked out the top level. Be sure to take your parking ticket with you. When you leave, you need to punch it in a machine on top or you can't get out. We didn't know that and drove to the exit and then someone had to get out and go all the way back up with our ticket. We LOVED Taormina. In fact, it was one of our favorite places on the cruise. It is a beautiful little Italian town with flowers everywhere. The view driving up there and from the town itself was just amazing.

Some notes on the car rental: Argus is a consolidator, not the actual company. I'm assuming that your car will come from the same location as ours. From where our ship (NCL Jewel) docked, we walked across the street and to the right. You will see a sign for Hertz, and the car rental office we used was right next to it. It was not clearly marked, and we walked past it the first time. It was very close to the ship and across from the Coast Guard station. The guy who worked there was very friendly and I told him his English was pretty good. Have him show you on the map the way to go to get on the highway to Taormina. It is a pleasant drive, but be aware that it is a toll road. We stopped at a store on the way and bought water, other drinks and snacks (much cheaper than on the ship!). As we got closer to Taormina, there were scenic overlooks where we pulled over and took beautiful pictures. We were also going to go to Mt Etna, but after spending so much time in Taormina we didn't figure we really had enough time to go there, so instead we went to this beautiful river gorge called Alcantara. We really enjoyed our day in Sicily very much!!

Make sure you get directions at the car rental for returning the car. There are several exits off the freeway for Messina, so you need to know the right one. Also be sure to let the guy know what time you will be returning the car so that he will be there. Have a great time in a beautiful place!

Could someone help me out. I was looking at Argus to rent a car in Messina. There are 2 Messina locations. One is called Messina in Sicily. The other one is called Messina Via Panoramatica. Which one is the one that is by the cruise ship terminal. Jewel August 6, cant wait!

One hint about Taormina. They have some nice shops and boutiques on the main street (there are only 2 streets) but the shops all close in the afternoon about 1:30 (they do not re-open for 3 hours). So, if you want to do any shopping get yourselves to Taormina before lunch, do your shopping and than have yourselves a nice relaxing lunch when the stores close.

Hank

Archived