Queen Mary 2 - October 12 & 24 - Red Hook, Brooklyn

Terrence Richards

Having read all the threads posted for this cruise, I'm more than confused. I too received the Cunard informational booklet and we were prepared to go to the B'klyn terminal. Now we'll just wait and see what info. we get along the way. By the way, are there any other Californians scheduled for this cruise?

Hmm, Tabasco (Louisiana Hot Sauce) Key West, Long Island Sound (Well, the Hamptons) Sail racing- Sounds very Buffettian. (A friend gave me a pic of Jimmy racing on the Sound a few years back) My cousin HAD a boat- Don't know the kind- damaged in Ivan-along the LA coast (Lower Alabama, for the unitiated) was taking it to Key West to sail. Now busy repairing scads of FLA Panhandle boats damaged by the last two year's hurricanes.

I will be in Key West Oct/Nov, if the winds prevail- and are nice. With my Aunt tonight who has a condo on Gulf Coast. Orange Beach area. Just repaired from the second bout of Hurricane damage.

And discussed Lulu's, and Florabama at dinner (Taylor Hicks of American Idol fame has sung many times at Lulu's, Lucy Buffet's place in Fairhope-) My cousin, mother of the sailor, lives in Daphne.

Bayonne, Red Hook. I am not that knowledgeable about the area, but aren't they a short distance apart by water? (For the ship, not the passengers) Therefore, wouldn't it be a fairly simple matter to navigate her from one pier to the other after disembarkation?

Againl I am not too good with that area's geography, so if my post is naive and dumb, just ignore.

Karie,

who is NOT on either of these two cruises, and believes her 02 Sept is still entering and exiting from the same egress/access point!

:cool: :cool:

Terrence,

Lets have a little fun with this small yacht charter.

Our son has a 43 ft. sailboat that sleeps 6. Do you think I should have him keep Oct. 12 open just in case?

Wow Dale & Terrence...what a great idea! :cool: You all arrive by yacht on the 12th...we have a 'change of command' ceremony and Champage toast after we disembark the Queen...and Beatrice and I can deliver Tabasco back to your son, in that fresh October breeze. Since we are staying an extra week in NYC for the Cabaret Festival, at Lincoln Center, maybe we could live-aboard at the 79th St. Boat Basin. ;)

We could all be 'yachties' as well as 'cruisers'. Brilliant!

Wow Dale & Terrence...what a great idea! :cool: You all arrive by yacht on the 12th...we have a 'change of command' ceremony and Champage toast after we disembark the Queen...and Beatrice and I can deliver Tabasco back to your son, in that fresh October breeze. Since we are staying an extra week in NYC for the Cabaret Festival, at Lincoln Center, maybe we could live-aboard at the 79th St. Boat Basin. ;)

We could all be 'yachties' as well as 'cruisers'. Brilliant!

Bobby,

I notice you were a carrier sailor, USS INDEPENDENCE (CVA-62) '66-'67.

I was a carrier sailor also, a few years before your time. I was onboard the USS BAIROKO (CVE-115) 52-54.

Wouldn’t it be great to sail back to Key West on the Tabasco. It never hurts to dream a little. Two years ago when our son bought the boat in Cleveland he sailed it back thru the Erie Canal, down the Hudson and then down to Miami. It took him a month.

Navyvet, we have one couple from California. Here’s the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=363469

Bobby,

I notice you were a carrier sailor, USS INDEPENDENCE (CVA-62) '66-'67.

I was a carrier sailor also, a few years before your time. I was onboard the USS BAIROKO (CVE-115) 52-54.

Hi Dale...Have you ever Googled your old ship? I just did...great stuff. Were you at Operation Castle? Check out http://www.koreanwar.org/htm/units/navy/uss_bairoko.htm I bet you'll find people you knew.

I was a Navy Journalist, and ran the ship's radio & TV station for a 8-month Mediterranean cruise...then edited the newspaper for a year. Your ship became razor blades in 1960...mine is about to become a reef!

Sorry to go off topic folks.

Bobby

ex JO2 USNR :cool:

eeks!!! :eek: and I'm just trying to get my 87 y/o father and his wife to New York for this wonderful cruise. I'm hoping to make it an easy and memorable experience for two "newlyweds".

I haven't booked air as yet but did call Cunard directly and was told the Oct 12 -24 cruise would embark from Red Hook and disembark there too.

They're coming from So. Cal and Cunard air is a red-eye and very $$$ too!

Thinking of flying them in day prior and overnighting in a hotel. Any recommendations?

Also wondering if anyone has used the luggage service to ship a suitcase directly to the ship? Sure would make things lot's easier for my dad and his wife.

karalun, I think we now have determined from all sources that the October 12 QM2 cruise will embark and disembark in Red Hook.

I would definitely have your father and his wife fly in a day early. That takes care of concerns about problems with the plane, weather, etc. on the day the ship sails. It also allows them time to rest after their flight. From what I have read the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott seems to be the most convenient hotel to Red Hook. That hotel gets good reviews.

I cannot help you with the early shipment of luggage but there are others on this board who have used the service. You might start a new thread using your question about the luggage service as the title or you might use the search feature.

Maria, who is a regular poster on the Cunard forum, has given a reference for a limo service in the Brooklyn area. You might search for that also. It might be good if you could have them picked up at the airport and then taken to the ship the next day by a reliable limo service. If you have a limo driver meeting them at baggage claim, that might solve the luggage problem.

I also have an elderly father and I would want to make traveling as easy as possible for him. You are a good daughter!

Beth

Archived