Cruise virgin, advice please.

Beana

Hi there,

I am a New Yorker, who after living in England for almost 10 yrs, is moving back!!! My British husband, our 2 young daughters, and myself will be making a Transatlantic voyage. We decided to just go for it!!!

We are world travellers, even the 2 yr old, but have never cruised, and have never wanted to. But, this voyage has always drawn us. It's booked now and we leave in 32 days...

I am curious to hear from families who have done the crossing and what to expect. My 8 yr old is over the moon to be doing this and I want her to have the most wonderful experience ever. I do worry about the almost 3 yr old and how other passengers will react to a toddler at supper.

Will there be 'younger' familes on the ship? I hear the voyage is mostly for the older set. Am I wrong?

As I said, we have never cruised so I do not know about gratuities and such, is it like a hotel??Is it a tab or do you carry cash all the time. I know ther is a daily charge added, BUT is that really it?

Also, I have many evening gowns and funky dresses. My Husband has a tux and some dark jackets and a lighter linen suit. He is a very casual person, who does his own thing. I have read a great deal on here about dress codes. It seems to really differ.

Answers on a postcard please,

Thanks,

Beana

I do worry about the almost 3 yr old and how other passengers will react to a toddler at supper.

Well, reading some of the posts on this board it seems, some people prefer not to be seated close to toddlers or children. Other will not care as long as they are well behaved. Others again, me including, will explicitely appreciate you are giving your children the chance to get to know this world from early on. Do not worry, there will be enough friendly and welcoming people.

Will there be 'younger' familes on the ship? I hear the voyage is mostly for the older set. Am I wrong?

Most probably there will be a number of younger families. There are people of all ages and the children facilities are quite famous.

As I said, we have never cruised so I do not know about gratuities and such, is it like a hotel??Is it a tab or do you carry cash all the time. I know ther is a daily charge added, BUT is that really it?

You do not need any cash. You show your card and sign. For drinks 15% gratuity is automatically added. Restaurant and cabin stewards are covered by the daily amout.

The general question of tips is handled differently by different people. I think the automatic tip is absolutely right.

Also, I have many evening gowns and funky dresses. My Husband has a tux and some dark jackets and a lighter linen suit. He is a very casual person, who does his own thing. I have read a great deal on here about dress codes.

A transatlantic voyage onboard the QM2 is certainly the place and time to dress up. Probably you will have three formal night (tux and gowns) and one informal night (jacket and tie and cocktail dresses).

Congratulations on your choice for your first ocean voyage.

I do worry about the almost 3 yr old and how other passengers will react to a toddler at supper.
On our recent cruise we decided that our daughter (17 Months) would not be eating dinner with us.

She either had room service or we took her down to the childrens meal in the chiefs galley at around 5pm. From 6pm we took her to the Play Zone, where she played for a while then the staff put her down in one of the Cots that they have. I am sure that she enjoyed the Play Zone heaps more than she would have enjoyed an adult meal.

We then picked her up asleep before midnight. It was great for us, as at home we rarely have meals out by ourselves.

We took her down to breakfast and lunch, there were a few looks from other guests, but the majority were OK with her being there. (we were in queens grill).

If you do decide to take your daughter to dinner, then go for it. If you are at a table with just your family then no one has any right to get upset.

Many thanks to Carl and Samantha's Dad,

I am so glad I found this site and forum.

To Samantha's Dad,

I knew there was 'child sitting' in the evenings, but I had no idea that the children could sleep til we collected them, We have requested a table for 4, so we would not bother any other diners. We have 2 daughters, 8 and 2.5. I know the 8 year old will want to take part in some of the evening events, but our little one needs other options. I just worry if she does not settle for the nannies. Do they give you a pager?

For anyone:

On a different topic. If you are travelling with a great deal of luggage, must it be kept in your cabin? Can we leave the cases we do not need for the voyage in the hold? We are moving, so we will have the maxinmum amount each passenger can bring aboard, but it is not needed for the 6 nights.

many thanks and I am sure I'll be looking for a load of advice!!!

Beana:)

I just worry if she does not settle for the nannies. Do they give you a pager?
They gave us a pager that we kept thoughout the cruise.

One evening she did not settle till 11:30pm We did not get paged. It worked out quite well as she (eg all three of us) slept in late the next morning.

We weren't too worried about upsetting her routine as we were on holiday. Since we got back she has settled back into her normal routine without any problems.

The childcare is the main reason that we picked the QM2. I can not recommend the staff highly enough.

Beana.... I hope your 8 year old will retain the wonderful memories she will get from your crossing as I did. As a child we crossed at various times to see my grandparents in Norway. The first of them I was 2 1/2....don't remember a thing from that one!!! But today, many years later (I have just retired early if that tells you anything), I have grand and vivid memories of one of the trips at the age of 9...exploring the ship everyday from top to bottom (a MUCH smaller ship in those days!) the fantastic food and daily smorgasbords in the dining room where the waiters treated me like an adult and indulged my every request as tho I were a princess. I remember the sound of the foghorn thru the night, the sound of big waves hitting the side of the ship, the excitment of sailing in and out of NY and the wonderful sound of the ship's horn which I can hear to this day. I remember throwing 'streamers' to my family at both ends of the trip (sadly no longer done), reading on deck with a big blanket wrapped around me and so many other wonderful things. There were no children's programs or nannies...I didn't need them, the ship was enough I guess. I wish your daughter the same memories on a fabulous ship that is light years removed from the elderly ship I traveled on that year and have loved all my life. Enjoy!

Cheers, Penny

If you are travelling with a great deal of luggage, must it be kept in your cabin? Can we leave the cases we do not need for the voyage in the hold? We are moving, so we will have the maximum amount each passenger can bring aboard, but it is not needed for the 6 nights.

An interesting question - I didn't think that Cunard made any restrictions on how much baggage you were allowed to take, although whether they would allow you to take the entire contents of your house I doubted. I know that you didn't say that was what you were thinking, I'm just taking your question to its extreme.

On page 170 the brochure says "There are no restrictions on how much luggage you can take aboard ship". Unfortunately, on page 183, it says "There is no restriction for reasonable amounts of luggage on board ship". I would ring Cunard and find out what they consider to be reasonable (In fact I'd ring them at least twice, email then and write - that way you stand more chance of a correct answer!)

My wife cruised to England on the QM[1] when she was a child, and her memories were the motive force behind our first (and only other) cruise in 2002, on the QE2. At that time our boys were 10 and 8 and they just loved it.

We didn't make any use of the nannies, but we did check the kids into the afternoon play area once or twice. They were older than most of the kids there and not all that excited, but they didn't mind. I imagine that the supervised child care for your 2-y.o. will be excellent. Give yourself a nice crossing, she will be fine without you. Your 8-y.o. will be flooded with things to do.

As far as the 2-y.o., why don't you leave her to her own dinner and promise she can come up to the dining room for dessert? Or vice versa, she can come up and stay as long as she likes, and when bored she can be taken to babysitting somewhere else. Of course, it depends on the child: a fancy restaurant was the most likely place I could count on my kids to behave when they were 2.

Incidentally, we are on the same crossing this year.

The only comments directed to the young mother of a toddler in the Princess Grill during our recent crossing were "What a beautiful child!" By all means enjoy your children's company at meals; the only thing you have to remind them to say is "Thank you" to whatever gooey compliment a neighboring adult expessses. This may be your husband's last chance to be really British, he must wear his tux (which I bet he calls a dinner jacket). In any case, your elegant attire will require him to dress appropriately. I'm sure he doesn't want any "What a beautiful child!" comments directed to him.

Thank you for all the wonderful replies.

This is a brilliant place. I am glad I was told about it!!!

I am going to ring and email Cunard today to discuss the luggage allowance. Our travel agent told me.." It is just like an aireoplane, 2 pieces per passenger." I thought that was odd. But everything is so different now, isn't it? I also thought, theis is not a cruise, it's a voyage, a real journey. Years ago people would have had trunks, etc. I do not intend to bring the 'kitchen sink', but it would be grand if we could bring more than 8 cases, as long as they do not need to be stored in our cabin. I cannot imagine that would be comfortable.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories, Penny. I am sure Georgia, our eldest, will be in heaven. My only sadness is that Delilah will not have these to share with her. But, photos and keepsakes will help.

Once again, many thanks to all,

Please do give me more advice on what I need to do, see, and experience to make this the voyage of a lifetime. We are so excited. It is very hard to be leaving England...this wonderful treat will ease the pain.

Best,

Beana

Call Cunard now. I am fairly certain your TA is wrong. Two years ago we (Americans) were considering a temporary relocation to Europe for job reasons that didn't happen. The free luggage allowance was 3 pieces per person, which actually made cruising a better deal than excess baggage charges by air.

Thank you for all the wonderful replies.

This is a brilliant place. I am glad I was told about it!!!

I am going to ring and email Cunard today to discuss the luggage allowance. Our travel agent told me.." It is just like an aireoplane, 2 pieces per passenger." I thought that was odd. But everything is so different now, isn't it? I also thought, theis is not a cruise, it's a voyage, a real journey. Years ago people would have had trunks, etc. I do not intend to bring the 'kitchen sink', but it would be grand if we could bring more than 8 cases, as long as they do not need to be stored in our cabin. I cannot imagine that would be comfortable.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories, Penny. I am sure Georgia, our eldest, will be in heaven. My only sadness is that Delilah will not have these to share with her. But, photos and keepsakes will help.

Once again, many thanks to all,

Please do give me more advice on what I need to do, see, and experience to make this the voyage of a lifetime. We are so excited. It is very hard to be leaving England...this wonderful treat will ease the pain.

Best,

Beana

on our last cruise my wife had 18 pieces of luggage for an 18 day cruise nyc to nyc!!Airlines limit 2 pieces plus carry on in coach and 3 pieces plus carry on on first or business class!! bon voyage

Thank you everyone,

I spoke to Cunard this morning. There is no limit to what you may bring, as long as it fits in your stateroom. Usually your steward will take away some of the empty cases once you have unpacked, but there is no guarantee.

I am a bit miffed, as I am sure our travel agent KNEW we were not returning. I told him when he asked about return fares, etc. I also had heard that some ships do lovely things for people who have a special event or are marking an important day. Is that so?

All the best,

Beana

I am a bit miffed, as I am sure our travel agent KNEW we were not returning.

Travel Agents are not my favourite people! (Of course there are exceptions, a lot of whom post on these boards). I think that he did know that you were only going one way, he just couldn't be bothered to find out how much luggage you were allowed.

I also had heard that some ships do lovely things for people who have a special event or are marking an important day. Is that so?

See page 15 of the October '06 to April '08 brochure - there's information there about the packages they offer.

Thank you everyone,

I spoke to Cunard this morning. There is no limit to what you may bring, as long as it fits in your stateroom. Usually your steward will take away some of the empty cases once you have unpacked, but there is no guarantee.

I am a bit miffed, as I am sure our travel agent KNEW we were not returning. I told him when he asked about return fares, etc. I also had heard that some ships do lovely things for people who have a special event or are marking an important day. Is that so?

All the best,

Beana

It is difficult to make a living at being a travel agent these days. Lots of agencies have gone out of business. Therefore, a lot of folks who are left are part-timers at best. I can't say this is true of yours, but maybe he didn't know, was afraid to appear unknowledgeable and guessed, or gave an answer based on some other line. (Some say they limit) I actually am an agent, but I only do a little, mostly for my friends or family, and even not much of that. I certainly don't consider myself "a professional" (unlike someone on this board who is VERY knowledgeable!) There are so many who know so much more than me and I would be horrified to make a mistake. It may not have been intentional. Chalk it up, and forget about it. Life's too short to hold hurt and anger. Now you know. Here's a tip: Make sure your suitcases nest. (Fit one inside the other.) That way, you can put three suitcases under the bed in the space of one! (after emptying, of course, all but the inner one!) And they will usually store some pieces for you.

Karie,

Who could take 8 suitcases all by herself.... For a four day cruise!

On our recent cruise we decided that our daughter (17 Months) would not be eating dinner with us.

If you do decide to take your daughter to dinner, then go for it. If you are at a table with just your family then no one has any right to get upset.

I must put the opposite point from many who have posted. I do not find it acceptable for small children to be in a good restaurant unless their behaviour is acceptable.

There is much to be said for the Victorian maxim "children should be seen and not heard."

I have, I would suggest, a right to feel aggrieved if my comfort is affected by a child. And, needless to say, vice versa.

I have, I would suggest, a right to feel aggrieved if my comfort is affected by a child. And, needless to say, vice versa.
I agree that when a child is misbehaving, crying or just enjoying themselves loudly, then it is up to the parents to quiten them or take them out of the restaurant. A couple of times during lunch Samantha decided that she didn't want to be sitting at the table, so I would take her out side and let her have a run around while my wife finished her lunch.

But it is not only children who can affect the comfort of other diners. During our cruise there were a few other diners who seemed to think that everyone within 20 meters deserved to hear what they were saying, especially when it came to how much money they had or who they knew.

It might just be a british thing, but we find that we only need enough volume for the people at our own table to hear us.

I agree that when a child is misbehaving, crying or just enjoying themselves loudly, then it is up to the parents to quiten them or take them out of the restaurant. A couple of times during lunch Samantha decided that she didn't want to be sitting at the table, so I would take her out side and let her have a run around while my wife finished her lunch.

But it is not only children who can affect the comfort of other diners. During our cruise there were a few other diners who seemed to think that everyone within 20 meters deserved to hear what they were saying, especially when it came to how much money they had or who they knew.

It might just be a british thing, but we find that we only need enough volume for the people at our own table to hear us.

Quite so.

We were just on the July 4th Whatever cruise (sorry, but I am still not happy about it and trying not to complain and seem ungrateful) and we have a 3 and a 5 year old.

No complaints WHATSOEVER about the staff in the PlayZone. My kids absolutely LOVED it! We utilized them a lot because frankly, my kids enjoyed that space more than any other on the ship besides the Minnows pool.

We were in cabins 10012 and 10018 and in the Princess Grill. Those staterooms are at the front of the ship and the Playzone and Grills are at the back of the ship. No one likes to wake a sleeping baby and I have to say that my arms ached after carrying 45 lbs of dead weight the equivalent of the Eiffel Tower at night. So if you want to be close to the Playzone, get towards the middle to the back of the ship if possible. The Playzone is located at the back of Deck 6.

When the ship is at sea, the Playzone is open from 9-12, 2-5 and 6-midnight. It is usually closed the last night of the voyage for cleaning. The Minnows pool is right outside of the Playzone but your kids must be fully potty trained to swim there. There is a smaller pool (wading) that is ok but it was never filled during our voyage. There is also a sprinkler area behind the Minnows pool and my kids LOVED that.

We never took our kids into the PGrill for dinner but we did enjoy breakfast there most mornings and a couple of lunches. My kids are rowdy boys and they can get rather loud at times so out of respect for other passengers, we did not bring them at dinner so everyone could enjoy the Grill.

They also loved riding on the 'scenic' elevators and doing 'laps' with Daddy on Deck 7.

Overall, I'm sure you will have a delightful experience. Crossings truly are my favorite type of voyage.

Best of luck!

Morrie

Thank you for your input, Morrie.

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your experience. May I ask why?

Our stateroom is on deck 6, so i am hoping that will be good for The Playzone.

We have girls, that can act like boys. Very spirited and active.

Delilah will not dine with us at night, but Georgia (8) will have at least one grown-up night with us, if we see that it will work.

I'd like her to have a special time, but her sister is just too little.

Please let me know of anyother things you think a family on a voyage should be clued into.

Best,

Beanaxxx

Hello all,

We are really getting excited about our journey/voyage back to NY. Less than a month now. I am now wondering when I may get my Cunard paper work and credentials, etc.

When should we expect to check in, in Southampton?

Can people wave us off?

Many thanks,

Beana:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

This forum has been a brilliant place and I thank all who have gifted me with info and advice.

We leave our beloved Blighty in 11 days time. I am beyond excited to be a native New Yorker, going home in such style, after 10 years in England.

I am probably too keen to want this Voyage to be perfect....but we all want 'the best' don't we???

I am sure my 2 tiny girls will be well taken care of and I relish the chance to take my beautiful 8 year old, in all her glory to a formal evening or ball.

We have been shopping for ages!!

I now ask for any and all advice about being a family on board and also for my English gentleman husband and I, when we steal a few moments alone.... What MUST we do, experience, indulge ourselves in???

I think we are so lucky to have this experience be our First time at sea.

Please advise!!!

Many thanks,

Beanaxxx

Don't be so eager to go that you leave before your ship! The QM2 next departs Southampton on August 11, which is twelve (plus the rest today) days from now.

For something different to do with your girls on board, first ask at the Purser's desk if there are any animals making the crossing, and if there are, go visit the kennels some afternoon between 3 and 6. It's aft on Deck 12, starboard side.

Archived