Where to leave hire car during 3 night stay at Camp Denali

Silverwing

We live in the south of England and are off to Alaska for a month next year. Following short stays with friends in Vancouver and Nanaimo and a HAL northbound cruise we are spending the rest of the time driving around. After much planning our schedule is ready and we have started booking already! After a night in Talkeetna we are going to stay in a cabin at Camp Denali (huge expense but we're all very excited about it!) for three nights. After the Camp Denali bus returns us to the park entrance railway station we are going to Healy. I'm hoping someone will be able to suggest where would be the best place to safely leave our hire car while we're at Camp Denali (ie Thursday lunch time until Sunday afternoon).

Many thanks, Cheryl

Thank you for your reply - it probably sounded like a silly question, but so many parking lots here in England do not allow overnight parking. I just thought I would check while I was thinking about it.

Cheryl

There is a place called Riley Creek Overflow parking where people park when taking the camper busses into the park. I have done it twice and it seems quite safe. You MUST park at Riley Creek Overflow if you are going to be gone overnight. The Park Service does not want people parking at the Wilderness Access Center overnight.

That information is really helpful - thank you. Would you know how far that parking is away from the railway station where we have to meet the bus for Camp Denali? Hopefully it's not too far as we will have all our luggage with us!

Cheryl

The parking lot is a good 1/2 mile from the railway station. But you can do this - drop the luggage and one person off at the railway station (which is next to the visitors center). Then the other person park the car and walk from the parking lot to the visitors center or take the entrance-area shuttle (free).

Another option is to park at Riley Creek overflow lot and both take the free shuttle with your luggage. But I would not recommend that since it is a pain to load your luggage onto the shuttle busses. Camper busses are different since they have room in the back for luggage (seats are removed).

If you end up walking, there is a path very close to the road. I saw some people walking on the road. Funny since the path is quieter and prettier.

John

Many thanks, John. I have noted all your suggestions. It's helpful information this this which makes things run smoothly and saves lots of time on an independently organised trip so I'm most grateful to you.

Cheryl

When you are at Camp Denali be sure to get out and do some hiking. I am not sure if you are on a private bus going out there (i.e. if you will be able to use the shuttle busses). But they can probably drop you off on the east side of Wonder Lake and you walk back, etc. McKinley Bar Trail starts near the "Y" where the road splits to go to Wonder Lake campground. Very easy but pretty hike. Also, if you get a chance, get to reflection pond for a sunrise or sunset. Might be tough without a bicycle. I did that twice last month and got fantastic photos of the Mountain with the reflection.

If you have to meet the bus at the RR station, park your car there. I would send an email to make sure this is OK, but we left a car there overnight a few years ago and no one said anything. Or contact Camp Denali for their suggestion. They should be able to make arrangements for your car. I'm sure this is not the first time they have had the request. Enjoy!!!

We are sure that our stay at Camp Denali will be one of the highlights of our trip to Alaska. They have their own bus which will take us through the park, leaving at 1.30pm and arriving at Camp Denali sometime after 8pm. From what I have read we will be able to choose from several different guided hikes on the two days we'll be there. It seems that guest preferences and abilities are taken into account. We're also hoping to canoe on Wonder Lake, as I've read that only Camp Denali canoes are allowed there. Our children who will be 16 and 21 have been fully involved with the planning. We have visited many of the wonderful US National Parks, but all feel that Denali promises to be the best so far!

Cheryl

Archived