How cold at Hubbard Glacier?

bonbon663

I'm going in less than 2 weeks, and thinking of a million quesstions. What would you estimate is the temperature on deck while viewing the Hubbard Glacier? From the pictures posted, it's hard to tell, some people are in down filled coats and touques, and others are in shorts. Bottom line....do I need to bring a winter coat, or will a fleece jacket be sufficient.

Thank you!!!

event.png

Temps can really vary at Hubbard Glacier. When I sailed early June it was quite chilly and I had on thermal underwear with a sweatshirt and fleece over top and was fine. Face, ears and head were cold, but acceptable. (I am from VA if that helps define what I am used to.) Sailing in was windy and chilly. Once the shipped stopped moving it wasn't quite as cold. However we were very fortunate and the sun came out quite a bit which really heated things up. Before I knew it, I was removing several layers and would have been fine in just jeans and a long sleeve shirt.

I know it is a very cliche and overused expression on this board, but it work - LAYER. Then you will be comfortable no matter what!!!

I agree that Hubbard Glacier is a little chilly. Being from Florida I took layering very serious! A short sleeve shirt, long sleeve over top and a windbreaker zipped up was fine with a pair of jeans. Gloves would have been good as we headed toward the glacier, but once everyone came out on deck the wind was blocked; weather was great and layers began coming off. Hot chocolate is available for purchase on the deck too!

It was warm and sunny there last week, maybe upper 50s- low 60s. We had gloves and ear clips and were glad we did. Even though the temp wasn't actually that cold, the wind was chilly. Even if it had been really cold, I wouldn't have wanted a heavy coat on. You can always wrap up in blankets.

We wereon the Serenade Juen 18 sailing...it was COLD, but we are from So. Florida so I think maybe we felt colder than anyone from a cold climate. It was very windy and we wore lots of layers. The sun was not out so it felt even colder, but once we got near the glacier, the sun came out and some layers were taken off. We had an aft balcony, so we went up after a while and it was much warmer from our balcony. Whatever the weather, have a great time, Hubbard Glacier is absolutely beautiful.

Nancy

Archived