What medication do you take to relieve flight anxiety?

Ocruise

Hi all. As you know, i'm flying tomorrow. My ear still hurts & i'm anxious about flying with that, but I get very panicy when I fly even in general. Just thinking about being so high up there frightens me.

Last year when we flew home from our Paradise Miami cruise to NY, I took 1 pill called "aloprazam" (my doctor prescribed it for me when I told him I need something when I fly. I know the name sounds wierd, it was the generic version on something.) Well, 1 pill did nothing, I was tight as a drum with nervousness my whole flight. The directions said to take 1 to 3, but I only took one since I had never taken a tranquilizer before.

This year, I got 2 different prescriptions for my flying anxiety and I was wondering if anyone takes them and how much. I don't want the same thing to happen last year when 1 pill did nothing to calm my nerves.

The 1st one is "Diazepam 5mg" (it says substituted for valium), it says take 1 tablet every day as needed.

The other is "Lorazepam" 1 mg. It says take 1 tablet every 6 hours needed for anxiety panic attack / no more than 5 tabs daily.

If anyone has tried either of these, let me know what you think. I feel so silly to be posting this, my rational mind knows that flying is much, much safer than driving. It's just that for no reason, when I was in my 20's I got terrified of flying. I love to travel, so it's something I need to get past.

Thanks for any advice,

Marina

Well I'll take a stab at this but I'm no doctor ;)

First, it might have been a good idea to take one of either prior to the trip to test the reaction. So here's what I would do....pick one and take is as soon as you wake up tomorrow morning. Hopefully, by the time you board the plane it will be working...if not try drinking a cocktail during the flight (only if you are not renting a car to get to the port).

I haven't read any of your other posts but you mention that your ear is bothering you......for that I would suggest gum.

Would you like to pay your co-pay by check or charge?.............lol

Good luck with the flight....and the med's :D

edited to add ~ oops! I just reread your post and realized I am not sure if you were asking for my "non" medical advice...anyway, I have taken both medications (seperately) for different reasons....geez, now I sound like a druggy!! :eek:

Hi - Alprazolam is generic for Xanax - its an anti-anxiety drug. I used to be terrified to fly - having panic attacks and hyperventilating. It was not a pretty sight. Now - I take one pill two hours prior to my flight and although I am still a bit nervous, I no longer have heart palpitations, sweaty palms and panic attacks. Its a miracle as far as I'm concerned. I used to fly a lot for my job. If a flight lasts longer than 4 or 5 hours my doctor said I could take another, but I found after 6 hours or so, a half a pill did the trick. They got me through a long business trip last year that included Hong Kong, Tokyo, New Zealand and Australia all within two weeks time. I wouldn't fly without them ever again.

Barb

my doctor perscribes xanax for me to take when i'm feeling anxious. I had to fly alone last year (my first time flying alone) and i was really really nervous. After finally getting on the plane (of course i was 'randomly' picked for a bag xray and they gave me a hard time about my carry on of nappa wine) i poped one fill and thats all it took for me to fall asleep!

I take 1/2 a pill when i'm anxious but dont want to sleep.

lorazepam (Ativan) works fine for me and the periodic unfounded anxiety attacks I get. I prefer it to Valium as it does not make me sleepy...never needed it for flying though (actually love taking off and landing) but it is those pesky little things like having friends for dinner or making calls to some of my in-laws!

The cigar is a great resource. It is necessary to have traveled for a long time on a ship to understand that at least the cigar affords you the pleasure of smoking. It raises your spirits. Are you troubled by something? The cigar dissolves it. Are you subject to aches and pains (or bad temper)? The cigar will change your disposition. Are you harassed by unpleasant thoughts? Smoking a cigar puts one in a frame of mind to dispense with these. Do you ever feel a little faint from hunger? A cigar satisfies the yearning. If you are obsessed by sad thoughts, a cigar will take your mind off of them. Finally, don't you sometimes have some unpleasant remembrance or consoling thought? A cigar will reinforce this. Sometimes they die out, and happy are those who do not need to relight too quickly. I hardly need to say anything more about the cigar, to which I dedicate this little eulogy for past services rendered."

-- The Duc de la Rochefoucauld-Liancourt, 1794

Archived