European Cruise Port Reviews- pretty long

I haven't been on the Europe board for months. Came tonight to begin researching a Greece/Turkey cruise for June 2008. I'll try to answer your questions and make sure to check back in a day or two to see if you have any more.

Do you happen to have the web address to sicily tours?

No, sorry I don't. We didn't use them....but wish we had.

Thanks for the review! In your opinion, is the Nice stop one that can be done on one's own (train, bus) or were you really glad you had a driver? I have private tours set up in Naples and Rome and am trying to save money on this stop. We would like to see Monte Carlo and Eze for sure. How much was your tour at that stop? Thanks!

Carrie

We would not have been able to do half the things we did if we'd tried to do it on our own. Didn't have to worry about train/bus schedules or walking up/down hills. It was my favorite day of the entire cruise. I LOVED Eze.

The price was about 60-70 euros per person. It depends on how many people you have in your group.

If I had to choose between doing this stop on my own or doing Rome on my own, I'd use a driver for this stop and do Rome on my own.

You mentioned that you used Dream-Tours in Cannes. Can you tell me if this company requires a deposit upfront?.

Any information for this company is greatly appreciate.

We did not pay anything in advance, just cash the day of the tour. If you book with them try to get Jean Marc he is incredible.

Thank you so much for your informative review. I am leaving on the Freedom with the same itinerary on May 25th. You answered so many of my questions, including our reservations with Dream-Tours out of Cannes. We had originally booked a tour with the ship, but cancelled as soon as we teamed up with fellow passengers via the roll call. Glad you gave them a thumbs up!!!

Thank you so much for your informative review. I am leaving on the Freedom with the same itinerary on May 25th. You answered so many of my questions, including our reservations with Dream-Tours out of Cannes. We had originally booked a tour with the ship, but cancelled as soon as we teamed up with fellow passengers via the roll call. Glad you gave them a thumbs up!!!

You might enjoy our full review, it has CCL specific info as well. Here's the link if you want to take a look.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=375641

I loved being in a small group and being able to set our own itinerary for the day. When you are dealing with 2-7 people you have a lot more flexibility than when you're on a bus with 70 other people. We were blessed to have great drivers/guides in all but one port, and even then we had a good time.

If you don't want to be the "organizer" check your roll call and see if someone has space on a tour that you can join. We aren't doing any ship sponsored tours on our cruise in May.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you sooo much for sharing your travel experiences with us. We are going to be visiting a lot of these ports in July on Crystal Serenity. You've given me some great ideas about what we can do on our own. Do you happen to know if there is any public transportation that will take us from the dock to Taormina -- or perhaps taxis? I'd like to avoid the $91 per person excursion fee for what looks like just a busride and short walking tour. Thanks.

What was the name of the restrant where you ate next to the cannel? That is what I am looking for. Thank you

I'm at work right now. I'll check our scrap book when I get home and let you know. There are lots of restaurants along the canals so you'll have plenty of choices. We just found one that had an interesting looking menu and was in the area when we decided we were hungry.

I'm at work right now. I'll check our scrap book when I get home and let you know. There are lots of restaurants along the canals so you'll have plenty of choices. We just found one that had an interesting looking menu and was in the area when we decided we were hungry.

I would love to know also

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I haven't been on the Europe board for months. Came tonight to begin researching a Greece/Turkey cruise for June 2008. I'll try to answer your questions and make sure to check back in a day or two to see if you have any more.

No, sorry I don't. We didn't use them....but wish we had.

We would not have been able to do half the things we did if we'd tried to do it on our own. Didn't have to worry about train/bus schedules or walking up/down hills. It was my favorite day of the entire cruise. I LOVED Eze.

The price was about 60-70 euros per person. It depends on how many people you have in your group.

If I had to choose between doing this stop on my own or doing Rome on my own, I'd use a driver for this stop and do Rome on my own.

We did not pay anything in advance, just cash the day of the tour. If you book with them try to get Jean Marc he is incredible.

I think it is http://WWW.sicilylife.com

Are you going to be there on Sunday? They don't offer the tickets on Sunday. If not, you might be trying to book for a time that is unavailable - either sold out or closed. I was just able to book tickets all the way through Sept 30th, I just canceled at the last minute since I unfortunately wouldn't be able to actually use them.

Try this - go to the

website (http://www.alata.it/eng/BOOKING/sanmarco.asp) select book now, then select the booking arrow, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select availability calendar. It will prompt you for a month and year. At that point you can see every date and time that is available (or not available) for booking during that month. Hopefully there will be something open that fits your schedule.

Excellent reviews, thanks so much!

I have a question: the "Venicecard Blue" is listed for seniors. Do you know what age, 60 or 65? Every place seems to have a different rule! :confused: Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...