PoH: Cruising Na Pali coast

beachchick

Aloha all. My DH and I are looking at PoH for next spring. (We had to cancel our fall booking. Sigh.)

I have a question or two about the scenic cruising. The schedule now lists the Kauai departure at 2 pm, which I assume means they cruise the Na Pali coast. I think that will be lovely.

Here are my questions. Does the ship cruise up the coast and then around the north side of the island before heading down to Oahu or does the ship turn around and go back down the Na Pali coast and the south end of Kauai to head to Oahu? If the ship continues around the north, what is the approximate time frame? How far around does the ship go before sunset? Also, that would mean that cabins on the starboard side would have the best views, correct?

We are planning on going to Cagney's that night, and I'm trying to figure out timing for our reservation. I'd love to be able to request a starboard side table and watch the coast while we dine, but I'm not sure how early Cagney's opens or where the ship will be then. Otherwise, I think we'll simply book a later time so we don't miss any of the scenery.

Anyone have first-hand knowledge of this? I believe that PoAm does the same thing, so that info would also be helpful.

Mahalo for your help and happy cruising.

beachchick:)

The coast was on the left side of the boat (sorry not up on my nautical terms). We sailed the POH on 7/3 and the cruising along the Napali coast began about 5pm. We also left at 2. I think you are along the Napali coast for about an hour. I can not remember what the boats path was but we did not continue to sail around the coast when we reached the end of the Napali coast. I know this does not answer all of your questions, but thought it may be a little helpful.

Mahalo all; your answers have been very helpful. Sounds like the ships actually go the way my DH suggested, which is the opposite of what I thought. So, you go up the east side, past Princeville et al, and then down the Na Pali coast before heading down to Oahu. Is that right? In that case, we'll try to book a port side balcony. Although there are a few aft BA's available on the dates we've been checking, I'd rather see if those dates come up as specials or with guarantees. NCL's very strict "new bookings only" policy on many weekly specials is worth the risk as aft balconies haven't ever been a super priority for us. So, if the afts are gone, that's okay. I'd rather have the lower price, even if it's a guarantee.

We have decided on a late dinner reservation; I'm sure we'll manage to find a place to watch the coast go by.

beachchick

Yes, the PoAm does the NaPali coast sail by. We were on the PoAm in June and it was wonderful! We had a port side balcony cabin and watched most of the coast sail-by from our balcony. Then we had made dinner reservations with an ocean view at Little Italy (free Italian specialty restaurant on the port side of the ship) and continued watching the scenery there.

Archived