Just booked Victory for 7/26

jeanbean

My husband and I have been debating various vacation spots and finally decided on a cruise out of NYC. We will be travelling with our 2 year old and felt that would be easier than flying somewhere (we live in the suburbs of NYC so no flights are involved).

We have cruised before, but never on Carnival (RCCL 2X and NCL once). On a 5 night cruise, are there any formal nights? Also, does Carnival still do traditional dinner arrangements or have they adopted freestyle dining as well?

Does anyone have any ideas of excursions that would be good for us?

I am on the 4 night cruise just before you, so I'll be getting off the Victory and you'll be getting on. Carnival still does the tradtional dinner thing, so I would suggest early dining with your 2 yo. There is one formal night, the second night, as far as I know.

I'll be cruising with my 2 yo as well, along with my 16 and 12 yo sons (dh can't get off from work and 4 yo dd is doing Disney with the grandparents) and we're going to do the hop on, hop off double decker bus in Halifax (our only port of call). Since you don't have older kids to entertain, you might consider going to Peggy's Cove. It's about an hour bus ride each way and then about an hour and a half at Peggy's Cove. I was considering this, but my older kids thought it looked boring and want to go to the Citadel which is Halifax's fort and living history museum.

I can't help you with St John, never been there and haven't done any research on it. Anyway, hope this helps. Have a great cruise!

Thanks Shirley and Janice.

Shirley - I was in Halifax a couple of years ago on our NCL cruise. The city reminds me so much of Boston. There is a lovely park and lots of shopping. If you can manage to get to the Citadel close to Noon, you can see them fire the canons. Last time, we considered going to Peggy's Cove but didn't think we had enough time. Maybe this time we'll try it.

Hi, Janice.

I have heard (read) really good things about Aberdeen tours and their prices seem quite reasonable. The woman I emailed with when I was considering Peggy's Cove was very nice, as well, and very helpful. You might want to look into them if you are interested in doing the tour to Peggy's Cove. Have a wonderful time, whatever you do.

JeanBean,

My wife and I will be traveling on the 26th with you. I have started a thread in Carnival Roll Calls, why don't you leave a post there?

Halifax is a nice port, we've been there twice. The Harbor area is a great place to stroll. We did a whale watching tour once (didn't see any whales), and a brewery tour once. I think it was Okeefe's Brewery and they give you the tour in Early American Costume with a sort of skit. We did enjoy it.

I believe we will be inHalifax for there Tall Ship Festival, so that should be kind of neat, except I'm sure it will mean a lot more people.

We have cruised Carnival a couple of time. They do traditional dining, I assume on formal night on the 5 night cruise.

Glad to help further if I can.

Archived