Southampton Hotels

jimgib

I have just been looking for a good hotel to stay in around Southampton befor eour cruise, the De Vere looks the best however it is fully booked as do most others. Does anyone know of a first class hotel within easy drive of the dock, it would appear we are going to have to stay outside the city as the better hotels seem to be full on our dates.

thanks

Jimgib

Or if the Holiday Inn is full what about the Hilton (a little further out) or Chewton Glen - very, very swish. Apologies if this message pops up a few times, there seems to be a problem with posting this morning.

Marge M

Not sure what you require of a 'good' hotel, but the night before we sailed on QM2 transatlantic we stayed at the Ibis, it may only be 3 star but it certainly met all our requirements, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. There is ample parking and should you have forgotten anything the shops are within walking distance.

I have just been looking for a good hotel to stay in around Southampton befor eour cruise, the De Vere looks the best however it is fully booked as do most others. Does anyone know of a first class hotel within easy drive of the dock, it would appear we are going to have to stay outside the city as the better hotels seem to be full on our dates.

thanks

Jimgib

I've stayed in a number of Southampton hotels by way of both business and socially. Certainly the De Vere is the best. The Hilton,(10-15 mins from the dock depending on traffic) is acceptable with pool and fitness centre. It's isolated if you wanted to do anything the night before but as Cubard package hotel, you can get discounted rate which includes 14 days parking. that can work out very competitively.

Other than that the Ibis is OK. No frills, but cleann and friendly. Holiday Inn is also OK. I think by and large if you can't get into the De Vere any of the others will be largely acceptable as a second choice.icon7.gif

Jimgib,

I have a room booked at the Jury's Inn in Southampton for several nights. I posted regarding this hotel and did get some positive answers. I'm sure it's not the Waldorf but how much time will you be spending in the room?

When are you looking to book? I can give you my opinion when I return August 17th. (I'll need a reminder thought :p )

Sue

Jimgib,

I have a room booked at the Jury's Inn in Southampton for several nights. I posted regarding this hotel and did get some positive answers. I'm sure it's not the Waldorf but how much time will you be spending in the room?

When are you looking to book? I can give you my opinion when I return August 17th. (I'll need a reminder though :p )

Sue

I came across this on the Visit Southampton website. Has anyone tried to get these discounts? The contact info for each hotel is listed on the website.

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/site/cruise-passenger-and-crew-information/pre-cruise-hotel-deals

Pre - Cruise Hotel DealsSouthampton Hotels

If you want to travel to Southampton the day before you sail, then take advantage of the special rates that have been negotiated with the following hotels. For further details please contact the hotel direct and ask for the special cruise rates.

Julia

Don't be disappointed that the 'De Vere' was full. Stayed there a couple of years back and the staff are the worst. Rude and lazy and the rates are overpriced. The bellman was so surly he looked like something out of a horror movie :( . I hear the Holiday Inn is not too bad as ( another poster her mentioned that ).

Next time I have a trans-Atlantic ex Southampton I will continue to stay in London pre-trip.

Not sure what you require of a 'good' hotel, but the night before we sailed on QM2 transatlantic we stayed at the Ibis, it may only be 3 star but it certainly met all our requirements, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. There is ample parking and should you have forgotten anything the shops are within walking distance.

I've stayed in this one; the Ibis chain is very basic, and I wouldn't recommend it. Have you checked tripadvisor?

Mary

thank you all , for the advice and comments regards hotels, seems like its cowes week when we are trying to book so very few options however we have managed a room in the holiday inn, pretty much all that was available without staying well out of town. We fly to Uk next Thursday so not long to go.

regards

Jimgib

Archived