Carnival Glory - Jul. 3 sailing

grenowoods

Sunday, July 4

Greetings from the Carnival Glory.

I am Stu travelling with my boys Brandon, 17, Jordan, 16, and Colin 14.

Yesterday, the flight to Orlando from Buffalo on Southwest was flawless as usual. Carnival transfer was quick and efficient.

This is a very beautiful ship. It’s identical to the Conquest that we went on last year, except for the colours, so we know our way around. The event of the day yesterday – we have a bidet in the bathroom – Colin doesn’t know what a bidet is so guess what he used it for? He couldn’t understand why it had hot and cold water.

Last night I plonked myself in a good seat in the Amber Palace. The band played big band tunes – they were very good, then they had a Great Game Show (kind of like Jeopardy only with music) followed by a pretty good comedian.

The boys ran into some of their friends from last summer and spent a lot of time with them. Their group of friends will grow as the week progresses. When we got back from the Conquest last year I went into research mode and quickly found the Glory on July 3 this year(we have to travel at the beginning of July). My kids suggested this to their Conquest friends on the Internet and a couple of their parents booked this cruise last July! I never did meet their parents but I got to know many of my kids’ friends.

Last night, I tried to book dinner at the Emerald Room supper club but they said that they were all booked up until Friday, our last night. I declined and asked to be put on the waiting list for Monday. They called this morning at 10AM and asked if we could make it around 7:30 on Monday. I said that’s a little too late and they asked what time I’d like to arrive. I said 6PM and they said okay! Something for you all to remember. The event of the day today would have to be when my bed capsized when the phone woke me up. I couldn’t believe I managed to turn the thing on it’s side. My son in the bed beside me was most impressed when his father was catapulted onto him? I managed to climb over the bed and answer the phone though!

The weather is beautiful and our room is terrific. The staff are wonderful. Looking forward to a relaxing sea day on Sunday.

Tonight (Sunday) is formal night. So it’s off to the captain’s cocktail party at 5 followed by dinner. It’s been a challenge keeping the boys in dark suits over the years. This year, Colin and Brandon needed new suits. Brandon went from a 40 to a 44. He’s big and all muscle. It’s a wake-up call when your son wears a larger suit than you do!

On Monday I think we’re going to head over and do some snorkelling using one of the tour companies in Costa Maya. I’ve read here about booking it as you get off the ship. On Tuesday we have a tour booked with Coral Breeze in Belize. On Wednesday we’re thinking of doing a jeep tour in Cozumel. Any suggestions? Thursday, in Progresso, I think we’ll go and visit some Mayan ruins. The boys will really enjoy that (sarcasm) but I don’t care – I paid for this thing.

It’s now Sunday morning as I write this and I think I just managed to get my third son out of the shower. I’ve been up for a few hours (after the phone call). I went up and had a wonderful omelette and gave my sons a little more time to sleep.

Now I’m off to enjoy my day.

Stu.

Keep the posts coming, we are sailing the Glory July 31st. What type of room do you have? Are the menu choices the same as they were when you were on the Conquest?

Thanks

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi,

The menu choices are generally the same as on the Conquest. This is our seventh cruise and for the first time my two youngest, very fussy eaters, ordered something from the kids menu. I was mortified. My 17 year old and I had the lobster tail and it was wonderful. Once again, I can't say enough for the staff.

We are in a category 12 suite. This is the first time we've been in a suite on Carnival. We normally get a regular cabin with a balcony. But the difference between the price from my regular travel agent and my favourite online travel agent made the upgrade to the suite an easy decision. Also, this is probably the last time I will be able to get all three boys together at the same time. By the way, the suite is really nice.

Well, I'm off to the show. I will report on it later.

Stu.

Sunday, July 4 – around 10PM

One thing I want to mention is that if I am repeating something that someone else is posting about the cruise then I apologize as I am not monitoring the board during the cruise.

One thing I forgot to mention about Saturday is that about 1 hour after we left Port Canaveral, with the coast plainly in sight, Brandon and I were down on deck 5 enjoying some sushi and a drink. I was looking out the window and I saw a boat heading at high speed in our direction. In these days of heightened security I became alarmed as this boat was heading directly for us, despite the fact that we were (I thought) moving. I remember thinking about the USS Cole in Yemen and I was thinking about moving to the other side of the ship. I mentioned this to my son and he said, “wait a second, we’re not moving”. Sure enough, we were stopped. Turns out that a passenger became ill and had to go back to port. A lot of children, a man and someone tightly bound to a stretcher were loaded onto the boat. The boat left in a big hurry. I hope that the person is okay – we have no other information.

There just wasn’t enough time today. I got the boys up after I enjoyed breakfast then we went for an enjoyable lunch. I managed to get into the pool but you couldn’t move due to the number of people – the joys of a sea day :-). Brandon is very much into exercise and he has “dragged” me to the gym the last few cruises, much to my benefit. So today I spent some time on a cross trainer, much to my benefit, while my son went on a tread mill – he’d already been there for an hour. He’s joining the reserves and this is really going to help him as they push you very, very hard physically. The Canadian military may be small (embarrassing for me to say that but that’s politics and I’m on holiday so I won’t say more) but they are very good.

I went to the Newlywed Game this afternoon and was pleased to see that they had new questions. It was hilarious, as always, and the couple, who had been married for 50 years, won, as usual.

We got our suits on (the boys looked really good – I was so proud of them), got our pictures taken and went to the captain’s cocktail party. Shook the captain’s hand and went in and enjoyed our free drinks and food. I spoke with the cruise director. He’s from Australia and his first name, Stuart, spelled just like mine which is unusual.

The show tonight, “Livin in America”, was very good. The vocalists, particularly the female vocalist, were very good. I really enjoyed the show. Brandon actually went with me, the first time one of my sons has done that, although I think he went because he heard that the female dancers wore skimpy costumes! As usual, it amazes me that they do everything twice in one night. The band is extremely good. I’ve been on a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises and I really have to give Carnival the edge in this department.

Each cruise I give a $10 prize for the first bartender/waiter/waitress who remembers what beer I drank the day before or who remembers my folio number from the day before. O T (that’s what he told me to call him) won both of them tonight. He is really good. He says I’m his best customer. I guess I am as I was in the Amber Palace for 4 hours last night!

By the way, I'm using my laptop with the wireless Internet connection. It works really well - very fast. It's unfortunate though that you have to be in the vicinity of the Internet Cafe. Repeaters throughout the ship would be really nice. I understant that the new ships will have this. RC had unlimited, in cabin access but it was really slow. The speed here is very good. I shouldn't complain as I'm currently in the cigar lounge, which is adjacent to the cafe, enjoying a Grolsch.

Well, I’m off to enjoy the rest of my evening. I am looking forward to the adult comedy at midnight.

Stu

I wish that I was back on the Glory...We were there May 29-June 5...

I noticed that you said the cruise director's name was Stuart...Did they say where Mark Price went. He was the cruise director when we were there...He was great.

Glad you are having a good time.

Thanks!

I just got back from a week on the Glory and it sucked. This was my second cruise...first was with Royal Caribbean on the Explorer. The Explorer was so much nicer than the Glory. The bars/lounges on the Glory are terrible..the music was also horrible. Lots of hip-hop crap but not much else. We stayed in room 6400 and the music from the disco rattled our room nightly until 3 am. If you are anywhere around 6400, you may want to see about moving. The service on the boat was horrible. Dinner waiter had body odor nightly. I could go on, but I'll stop now.

Sunday, July 4 – around 10PM

The show tonight, “Livin in America”, was very good. The vocalists, particularly the female vocalist, were very good. I really enjoyed the show. Brandon actually went with me, the first time one of my sons has done that, although I think he went because he heard that the female dancers wore skimpy costumes! of my evening. I am looking forward to the adult comedy at midnight.

Stu

You really think " Living in America" is good? I thought the producer didn't have a clue about American music. I expected - based on the title - a more funky review. They reworked Neil Diamond's (Coming to) America to Living in America, dancing baseball players to "Yankee Doodle Dandy" amd belted out "Georgia on My Mind" like a showtune?

It was so bad we never went to another show. I loved the ship but the shows were godawful.

I enjoyed it and that's all that matters I suppose.

Stu.

You really think " Living in America" is good? I thought the producer didn't have a clue about American music. I expected - based on the title - a more funky review. They reworked Neil Diamond's (Coming to) America to Living in America, dancing baseball players to "Yankee Doodle Dandy" amd belted out "Georgia on My Mind" like a showtune?

It was so bad we never went to another show. I loved the ship but the shows were godawful.

we love it. Our cabin is very quiet, except when my kids have all their friends there-). We've also been on the Explorer and loved it too.

I just got back from a week on the Glory and it sucked. This was my second cruise...first was with Royal Caribbean on the Explorer. The Explorer was so much nicer than the Glory. The bars/lounges on the Glory are terrible..the music was also horrible. Lots of hip-hop crap but not much else. We stayed in room 6400 and the music from the disco rattled our room nightly until 3 am. If you are anywhere around 6400, you may want to see about moving. The service on the boat was horrible. Dinner waiter had body odor nightly. I could go on, but I'll stop now.

Monday, July 5 – late

Hello again,

The adult comedy show was excellent last night. I spent a great deal of time at the bar at the back of the ship after that. I like it back there because you can sit outside. I talked to lots of folks – I have no idea what time I went to bed. I got up in time to see us approaching Costa Maya. Once again, I let the kids sleep.

We took a cab into “town” and did the $20pp snorkelling tour that you can buy at the port. I don’t know whether we missed it but I never really saw a town. There are a ton of the usual shops at the port but the “town” where you snorkel is just a street with a hotel, a few small bars and small shops. It was very nice actually. We had to wait an hour before we went snorkelling so we did a little shopping and swimming and I had a couple of cold ones. We finally went snorkelling at 3PM (ships time), 2PM local time. The boat we went out on was somewhat dilapidated – we all thought it was kind of funny. The snorkelling lasted about an hour. The ocean was very choppy so we got quite a work out. I thought I was in pretty good shape but my body, especially my legs, is/are sore tonight. I’m sure I’ll feel good in a couple of days as a result. We all got sunburned, despite the liberal use of sun block. I guess it washed off as we swam in the ocean while we were waiting for the snorkelling. Jordan is in rough shape so I’m not sure he’s going to be able to make our Belize tour tomorrow. Like me, he has very sensitive skin. I have been applying aloe vera (we swear by it) hourly and we’re hoping for the best. I hope he can make it as I consider Belize the highlight of the trip (besides the ship of course). My back feels like it has ignited but I’m trying to ignore it. Grolsch works very well.

I finally found some time to visit the photo gallery after dinner and we got some really good pictures of embarkation, our formal shot and a shot of us in the dining room.

We went to the Supper Club for dinner tonight. I don’t think they are used to adults bringing teenagers so the staff seemed particularly attentive. They were extremely nice people. I take my guys wherever I go and I’m proud to do so. The food was awesome. Jordan and I had the New York steak, Brandon had the lobster and Colin had the lamb chops. I left a very nice tip that suggested that we had a good time. We all enjoyed the meal very much but we are looking forward to seeing Fabio (I think) and Helena in the dining room tomorrow.

I finally found some time to visit the photo gallery after dinner and we got some really good pictures of embarkation, our formal shot and a shot of us in the dining room.

The show tonight was a tribute to Sammy Davis Jr. and Frank Sinatra by Christopher Allen Graves. He was really good and I had an interesting conversation with him afterwards. I also purchased his CD. He centered me out briefly as I was one of the few single folks in the audience and I was sitting up front – he actually apologized later – completely unnecessary. One of the most touching parts of the show was when he brought 13 children up on stage and sang a song with them.

It is now midnight – I don’t know where the boys are and I need to start thinking about getting up early tomorrow morning. I know that the tendering process, especially if you haven’t booked a ship tour, can be very painful in Belize.

I’m off to have a beer and find my boys.

Later,

Stu

your Doing A Great Job With All The Info From The Glory!

We Will Be Sailing 8-21-04 On Her And Can't Wait.

I Was Wondering How Does The Glory Stack Up Againist The Rccl Ships You Have Been On ?

Thanks And Keep The Info Coming :)

:D Hi Stu. I am going on the Glory to the Eastern Carribean on Saturday (10th).

Thanks for all the great correspondence! It is helpful.

My first cruise and the first big trip and in a very long time. I can't wait!

It is a family reunion and there are 19 of us.

So your kids are having fun, huh?

I have 9 nieces and nephews going from ages 9 to 22.:)

I am sure we will keep busy. It sounds like time flies by.

your Doing A Great Job With All The Info From The Glory!

We Will Be Sailing 8-21-04 On Her And Can't Wait.

I Was Wondering How Does The Glory Stack Up Againist The Rccl Ships You Have Been On ?

Thanks And Keep The Info Coming :)

Hi,

I can't pick a favourite between Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I like them both and will sail both again. I loved the RC Voyager class ships. Sometimes I wished that Carnival was running them. The food is pretty much the same. I don't want to take anything away from the Conquest class ships though - we really like them too.

Stu.

:D Hi Stu. I am going on the Glory to the Eastern Carribean on Saturday (10th).

Thanks for all the great correspondence! It is helpful.

My first cruise and the first big trip and in a very long time. I can't wait!

It is a family reunion and there are 19 of us.

So your kids are having fun, huh?

I have 9 nieces and nephews going from ages 9 to 22.:)

I am sure we will keep busy. It sounds like time flies by.

Time definitely flies by. The kids always have fun as does dad, except for something that happened today - more on that later.

Stu.

Stu-

Thanks so much for keeping us posted on your trip. I look forward to reading your comments. What a wonderful time you're having with your boys!

The anticipation of our August 21st cruise is building by the minute:)

Tuesday, July 6 – Belize

Hello,

Today we spent the day off the coast of Belize. Nearby, was the RC Explorer of the Seas. We were on her last October.

Unfortunately, today was less than memorable. At 8AM I decided that it would not be a good idea to spend the day in the sun due to our severe sun burns from yesterday. We have taken shore excursion in the sun for several years, including many water activities, and never had a problem as we always use a generous amount of sun block. But for some strange reason, we got really nailed yesterday, especially Jordan. Fortunately, my cell phone works in Belize and I was able to call them (Coral Breeze) and cancel. They were very good about it. We had hoped to do an excursion tomorrow in Cozumel but I think we need to hold off until the sun burn heals a little. I may do something in the afternoon. I’m thinking of grabbing a cab and going for a tour of the island. My kids just want to hang on the ship – we’ve been to Cozumel a few times and they really aren’t interested.

So, today we had lunch and decided to take the tender into port and do some shopping and hang around. My boys were sitting across from some guy who was really drunk (1PM). About halfway into port he was looking pretty green and he suddenly threw up all over Brandon and Colin. He got Brandon right in the face and all the way down to his socks. Colin didn’t fare much better. Jordan got a little on his leg. Sorry to be so graphic but I was EXTREMELY unhappy with the idiot. He took off when we got to port and did not apologize. We spent a total of 2 minutes in Belize and took the next tender back to the ship. The IDIOT went and cleaned himself off somewhere and got back on the same tender as us going back. I was extremely angry and I ended up verbally berating him much of the way back. He threw up again just as we got to the ship. This time he had the presence of mind to listen to the ships crew and point his STUPID head overboard. I took Brandon and Colin back to the cabin and Jordan stuck around and followed him back to his room. The boys showered and I cleaned their clothes as best as I could. I was not about to let the NUMBSKULL get away with what he did so I found the head of security and made a report. We gave them the cabin number and saw the guys picture. We were all able to identify him. Security then went about locating the IDIOT. We even heard him being paged. We were in the lobby and saw the guy waiting for security. Just then security arrived, thankfully. I told him that was the guy and they led off for a lecture. They are going to give me a report later. Apparently I had the opportunity to press charges but I thought that was going too far. I just wanted them to throw a scare into him. Plus the IDIOT will have endure my harassment every time I see him – and I will see him – I know where he lives  Security took us down to the infirmary because I was concerned that the JERK hit Brandon in the face. Carnival was really good to us. I was very polite – I didn’t rant and rave or anything. They were kind enough to take all the boys’ soiled clothes and launder them. Anyway, enough said. Sorry about the verbal spewing (no pun intended).

It was nice to get back to our friends in the dining room tonight. Fabian and Ellena are terrific. Once again, I can’t say enough for the staff. Dinner was wonderful.

The show tonight was an illusionist along with the Carnival dancers and the female vocalist. It was pretty entertaining and, as usual, I had a long conversation with the illusionist after the show. Really nice guy. I bought a magic set off him and he signed a photo of himself and he made it out to me and my boys. For once, one of my sons, Brandon, joined me, which was really nice.

There’s another adult comedy show at midnight. That’s what I really like about Carnival, they have a lot more comedy, my favourite entertainment.

I just finished buying a round of drinks for the jazz band in the cigar bar. I must run to the midnight show.

Later

Stu

LOL....i cant help but laugh.....cause im that kinda sensitive person:).....but isnt it just fitting that yall got barfed on while sailing Carnival......the cruiseline known for its drunks and yet everyone here wants to keep denying how its fact...........as far as the drunk apologizing....prolly the last thing on his mind was worrying about who he barfed on......i doubt he cared much....u mighta been expecting a bit much from a drunk.....sorry about ur bad break....

Stu,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review! I am having a great time reading it! Did you see 'Ron' in the Piano bar? Is 'Joe' a guitarist, one of the guys in the jazz band that you bought drinks for? Just curious, as I had met these guys on a previous cruise-great to hang out with! Please keep us posted. BTW, sorry to hear your boys were puked on. I bet you are keeping him (the vomiter) on his toes now. LOL--I can just picture him...looking into every bar or area that he walks into , to see if you are there first before he enters--how funny! Enjoy!!

Happy Cruising!

Seeker

Archived