Newbie here, help plan my activities/excurisions

Hello everyone, nice to meet all you. Just found this website before leaving in a few days for a Wind Surf (Med.) cruise. Never been to any of these ports and would like some feedback on what to do. I will post as much info as I can - haha long read, so get ready - for the best opinions/info out there. I will number each of various parts of my trip.

Thanks in advance for everyone who reads and replies.

#1 Arrive in Nice, France. Stay overnight and pick up cruise ship the next day. What should I plan for Nice? Or just spend the day in Monaco?

#2 st Tropez 8AM - 3PM

excurision choices :

Inland Villages of Provence

Depart from St Tropez port and drive to Ramatuelle village, far from the crowds of France’s southern coastline. Here you will take a short, mostly moderately uphill walking tour of this charming hillside village, and enjoy strolling around its narrow, vaulted streets. Another short drive will bring you to Gassin, a very quaint village with charming stores that sell herbal soaps, pottery and a host of lavender products. In the village, there is a wonderful viewpoint from where you will admire a spectacular vista of the St Tropez Bay and the Maures Mountains. Next, you will visit the Provençal village of Grimaud, taking a walking tour with your guide who will explain that the Grimaldi family, for whom it was named, once owned the village. The impressive ruins of an old medieval castle dominate the narrow streets and the village is now a flourishing craft center. Reboard your bus for the drive back to the ship.

worth doing or just plan the day for the beach and all?

#3 Porto Vecchio, Corsica

Sartene & the Southwest Coast

Tour Number:58161Duration:Approximately 4 hoursPrice:$79Capacity:Departure:Confirmed OnboardActivity Level:EasyTour DescriptionThis tour will take you from Porto Vecchio towards Sartene, along the scenic west coast and then inland. On the way, discover splendid views and the great landmark of Corsica’s southwest coast, the Lion de Roccapina—a mass of roseate granite weathered into shape of a recumbent lion. Sartene, “the most Corsican of Corsican towns,” is built on a promontory with some impressive houses nestled into the rocks. It is located near the coast and therefore was vulnerable to foreign invaders. Sartene’s colorful history includes pirate attacks, battles against the Genoese occupiers in the Middle Ages, and the many vendettas in Corsican history. The town’s Good Friday ceremony is the most ancient ritual in Corsica. After your walking tour, enjoy some free time to browse before returning to your coach.

Bavella the Beautiful

Tour Number:58162Duration:Approximately 4 hoursPrice:$79Capacity:Departure:Confirmed OnboardActivity Level:ModerateTour DescriptionThe Massif of Bavella is a forested upland characterized by enormous granite boulders emerging from the deep, lush greenery. The views are wonderful, covering the massive clumps of granite in the Alta Rocca region and famous rocky needles, with the gulf of Porto Vecchio below. During a short stop in the typical Corsican village of Zonza, made of huge red and grey granite houses, breathe the pure, fresh and perfumed air of the Island of Beauty. The drive back to the ship takes you through the deep Corsican macchia vegetation and the 18th-century village of Levie.

#4 Ponza, Italy 9AM - 6PM Excurisions TBA. (mailing me details today, I can post later.)

#5 Amalfi, Italy

Amalfi, Italy

Pompeii & Sorrento

Tour Number:72361Duration:Approximately 6 1/2 hoursPrice:us$109Capacity:Departure:Confirmed OnboardActivity Level:StrenuousTour DescriptionFrom the pier, it’s a 13⁄4-hour ride by motor coach to the remarkable ruins of Pompeii, perfectly preserved since the eruption of Mt Vesuvius in AD 79. Learn about the excavation technique and what the residents were doing at the time of the eruption, and you’ll gain an insight into the lives of the ancient Romans as you discover baths, theaters, temples, markets and the huge forum. Return to your bus and head for Sorrento, where you will stop in the heart of the town and stroll around the local handicraft stores selling inlaid woodwork. Alternatively, you may choose between a typical local pizza restaurant, the best Italian cuisine or a cappuccino in narrow alleyways and fascinating little squares decorated with colorful windows and picturesque shops. You will then be transferred to the port by local shuttle bus. Please note: This tour involves considerable walking on uneven pathways. Bring a sunhat, as shade is limited. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended. Lunch is not included.

Ravello

Tour Number:72362Duration:Approximately 3 1/2 hoursPrice:us$79Capacity:Departure:Confirmed OnboardActivity Level:ModerateTour DescriptionBoard a coach for the drive along the narrow main road of Amalfi, which stretches along the side of rocky cliffs overlooking the sea—each twist and turn offering new and breathtaking views of the Sorrentine peninsula. Marvel at the rocks rising out of the sea like strange mythological creatures and see small boats that look like brightly colored toys from up above. Whitewashed villages dot the steep hillsides and cluster in the coves below. Ravello is a small city of ancient origins, perched over the Gulf of Salerno. Under this “balcony” the other wonders of this coast are unequaled. The beauties of this area have inspired poets, painters and musicians in the course of its millenarian history. You will visit the Villa Rufolo, where Wagner stayed and was inspired to exclaim, “The Garden of Klingsor is found!” Ravello features arches and antique towers, splendid scenery, the 11th-century bronze doors of Barisano da Trani and a pulpit decorated with mosaic lions in the cathedral. Some free time will be given for you to browse and shop. You may want to taste the local wine before you head back to the small harbor of Amalfi.

#6 Sorrento - 4PM - overnight - 7AM

there is an optional Pompeii travel on this day as well, in case one wanted to do the other tour the prior day. And there is also a TBA excurision on this day as well. No idea what they are.

#7 Capri, Italy

Capri, Italy

The Blue Grotto

Tour Number:15961Duration:Approximately 1 1/2 hours Price:$59Capacity:Departure:Confirmed OnboadActivity Level:ModerateTour DescriptionDepart from the ship on a local motorboat to reach the Blue Grotto—a 15-minute ride. Step into a small rowboat to enter the Grotto. The cavern is lit by sunlight, which reflects from the water producing unique effects. After the visit, return to Marina Grande and with time to visit the island.

A Taste of Capri

Tour Number:15962Duration:Approximately 41⁄2 hours Price:$89Capacity:Departure:Confirmed OnboadActivity Level:ModerateTour DescriptionA tender will transfer you to Marina Grande, and from there you will travel by minibus to Anacapri. During the drive, admire the vista over the Bay of Naples and Sorrento. In Anacapri, you will visit Villa San Michele, once house of the Swedish writer Axel Munthe, and nowadays an interesting museum. Alternatively, you may choose to climb Monte Solaro for 360° panorama over the Gulf of Naples with Mt Vesuvius in the background, the Gulf of Salerno, the Anacapri plain, the Sorrentine Peninsula, Ischia Island, and Capri. Enjoy time at leisure to stroll in the narrow streets of Anacapri town, stopping for tasting of some local wine and cheese. Later, you will return to Capri and visit the well-known piazzetta and the famous Augustus Gardens. Look out to sea to view the faraglioni—enormous rocks forming natural arches. Afterward return by funicular to Marina Grande to board the tender back to the ship. i am thinking i can hire a local to take me to the blue grotto, and i have read on the forums that nice places to visit are Gardens of augustus, Capri Palace, Anacapri, etc..

Cruise ends in Rome, will be there 5 more days.

Advice and opinions and input are all welcome. :)

I will make one suggestion and that would be to definitely make a tour to Pompeii. It is an amazing site and if you have any interest in history it is a not to be missed place to visit.

Have a great next cruise.

Archived