What's your champagne preference ???

Actually, Burgandy is a separate wine region than Champagne, therefore sparkling wine made in Burgandy could not officially be called "Champagne."

http://www.terroir-france.com/wine/regions.htm

But I'd sure love to try this sparkling wine. And let's be real, I think most people generally refer to all sparkling wine as Champagne, even if it's not technically true.

Dom Perignon may in fact be overrated, but it's still my favorite.

Thank you....thats all I was trying to say. :D

Yes, and I think those kinds of corrections (vs. grammar/spelling) are actually good. Doesn't hurt any of us to learn something new!

I actually learn new things on these boards everyday. Most of the time it only had to do with cruising, but I know more about cruising than any of my friends or family. And sometimes I learn new things aside from cruising. This is a great place to meet people and learn new fun and exciting things.

Precisement! Cremant de Bourgogne is from Burgundy!

Go to the champagne bar and study the menu. Pick the brain of the bartender there. Google beforehand and learn a little bit about champagne. Champagne is made from only three types of grapes: chardonnay, pinot noir, and pinot meunier. If the wine is made only of chardonnay it is called a blanc de blanc; if only from the pinots, it will have a blush color to it and be called a blanc de noirs.

My favorite is the Veuve Clicquot (means the Widow Clicquot) yellow label basic non vintage---full bodied and yummy!

Bon Voyage!!

Leslie

To be true champagne it must be from either Reims or Epernay.

As far as affordable official champagne goes I too like the Widow! It is my wife's favorite. However, I really like Schramsburg Cremant from Napa (it is about $10 less than the widow, of course it is not from Reims or Epernay it is from Napa. If someone else is buying I really like Perrier or Dom or the Grande Dame from Tattinger and just about any official champagne.

Bonnie I will look for your wine, which I am sure isn't on any ships, it sounds quite interesting. By the way if you want a nice sparkling wine at a cheap price, there are a lot of nice Spanish Cavas out there for cheap prices. You may have to buy a few before you find one you like but the search is fascinating, and for the price of a bottle of Dom you can have a case of Cava.

jc

Thanks so much. I see that there will be quite a few varieties to sample over the duration of our cruise. I also will plan to bring a couple of bottles with me of the Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label for the departure celebration on our balcony. Am I to believe that they do not have this listed as a selection on the ship so they don't mind if it is brought on board?

Actually we have always been able to find the Yellow label widow on all cruises I have taken all on lines. Of course they charge about $80 for a $40 bottle. ;)

jc

Actually we have always been able to find the Yellow label widow on all cruises I have taken all on lines. Of course they charge about $80 for a $40 bottle. ;)

jc

We paid $99 for it in interior Mexico. Ouch.

We paid $99 for it in interior Mexico. Ouch.

O you can't imagine what my friends paid for a bottle of Beringer White Zin one time in Bonaire. :D Of course, at least after you paid for the widow, you had something worth drinking unlike my friends! ;)

jc

Archived