can 18 yr olds cruise on their own??

Do you guys have any idea how many college age kids travel in Europe (or elsewhere) either alone or with a small group every year???? My parents thankfully never allowed me to go to Florida spring break week (where the purpose was to party, drink and get laid) however I was allowed to tour Europe once when I was 17 and then again when I was 20 by myself. The whole independent student travel culture is quite big throughout the world.

I'm 45 now and have my very own teenager who is eyeing the world...

That's the same reason many 18-20 year olds want to take cruises alone; it's not really on the same level as going to Europe. You must have been very mature and responsible to go to Europe totally alone, though still things can happen - 17 is just not the same as 27. I shudder when I remember some of the naive decisions I made in Europe at age 23 with regards to trusting others who weren't necessarily trustworthy.

You make a good point though about the value of traveling to foreign lands for educational purposes. My 16 year old is attending summer school in Europe right now, but she is constantly supervised. Still gives me worries, but you have to be able to let them fly if the situation could benefit their education or development as a human being. A cruise probably wouldn't fit that criteria to me, but that's just me. Those are decisions parents have to make based on honest and objective (and let's be honest, it's hard to be objective about our kids - we tend to believe the best of them even when they are not always deserving) assessments of their own kids.

The fact is, however, that MOST cruise lines have determined that 18 year olds as a group aren't the best cruise customers to have onboard without supervision, and I'm sure that's not just an arbitrary policy. It hurts the ones who are responsible and deserving, but that's true of any age based policy.

Do you guys have any idea how many college age kids travel in Europe (or elsewhere) either alone or with a small group every year???? My parents thankfully never allowed me to go to Florida spring break week (where the purpose was to party, drink and get laid) however I was allowed to tour Europe once when I was 17 and then again when I was 20 by myself. The whole independent student travel culture is quite big throughout the world.

I'm 45 now and have my very own teenager who is eyeing the world...

I, too, was traveling Europe on my own when I was 17. Looking back, I did a lot of things on that trip that I don't think I would try now. This is not necessarily because I am "older and wiser" but simply that times have changed. Things that could be done then in relative safety cannot necessarily be done with that same safe environment now.

I think the part of this thread that really heated things up, at least for me, was the line..."The worst that's going to happen: Drink and have sex." They should have added a third part to it...."and maybe end up dead." I won't even bother listing recent past incidences that justify my addition to the quote as we are all aware of them.

My son is 14 now, when he turns 18, he is an adult. I can't tell him what to do or when to do it. How do all the parents think that they can tell their adult childern what to do? I can sure sugguest what to do, but it's not like i can ground or spank him for making a mistake. Hopefuly I have taught him to make the correct choices in life as he is on his own. If it were my son, I would help him out too. He will do what he wants to anyway.

The worst that's going to happen: Drink and have sex. (and i'm not even saying that will...who knows) Like the other poster said, that goes on every night in college campuses around the country. Atleast she's (21??...or is the daughter 18? I'm lost) Either way, most kids have done BOTH of the previously mentioned items by that age - whether or not mommy and daddy want to admit it.

Atleast if it's on a cruise maybe some sort of relationship will form - or possibly HAS BEEN forming for some time. I'd feel better about that if I were a parent. (we'll see how I feel in about 15 years though :) )

-AND- if anything happens to the minor child, who do you think will get sued???

I must be a bit slow, but a parent is encouraging a couple of 18 year old kids to go on a cruise by themselves? Especially, with a "friend" the one kid just met on a cruise? Seriously????? I imagine the parent will pay for it too? Life is good to be their child!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jc

Aren't a couple of 18 year olds legally grown?

I am the mother of the OTHER 18 year old GIRL wanting to go on a cruise with her friend (Shari's daughter). Excuse me if I don't appear overprotective...but I feel that at 18 a young man or woman has the right to do what they please, whether it's to go on a cruise or fight for our country in the military....or whatever. If we have done our job properly as parents, then we have raised good, moral, children who will take their place in the world. Does a parent worry....of couse...but there also must come a level of trust. I trust my daughter to do the right thing.

Now the question was......can 18 year olds go on a cruise. It appears that the question has been answered. Thank you all for your help and opinions.

PS...I also travelled to Europe by myself at 20...it was an experience I shall never forget....it was lifeforming.

Archived