Question about Brooklyn CruiseTerminal

Johnsy81

Seen a fair # of posts about taking a taxi/car service to the Brooklyn Terminal with mention of having the appropriate permit to enter the terminal area. I've spoken with the car service we use and mentioned this...they said that the permit reference is probably to the taxi/limousine commission permit that is often checked by TLC inspectors at cruise terminals and airports. Is there any other permit that's needed for the Brooklyn Terminal (just want to make sure that the car service I'll be using has the necessary permits to access the terminal).

Thanks everyone.

Hi -

We just returned from the 7/8 crossing and some touring in Europe. Our hotel in NYC arranged for a car and the driver knew exactly how to get to the terminal and we were not stopped to verify any kind of permit. Not sure how they treat the taxis, though, as I didn't pay much attention there.

From the ride to the terminal to the time we boarded the ship, we had a very pleasant, easy experience. I was a little anxious about it because I had read so much on other threads about incompetent cab drivers and confusion at check-in.

Hope this helps!

Tex, thanks for the information on your experience. From what I've been reading, the overall experience at Red Hook is light years ahead of what we've experienced in Manhattan. Even on the Princess boards, folks have been saying how much easier and organized the whole experience has been. I think I'll be fine as my DH is driving me to the terminal (this is a 'girls only' cruise:) ) and have arranged a car service (not taxi) to pick me up in Red Hook when we return. Since the ship arrives at 6:30 am, I've arranged a 9:00 am pick up (we're going to self-help disembark so should be off quickly). A couple of years ago we were on QM2 and it took almost 3 hours for every passenger to leave the ship in Manhattan...what a nightmare for the car services who were waiting and had to drive around the block.

Johnsy:

A girl trip on QM2? Now, there's an idea! My DH and I are very compatible travel companions but a girl trip would be a completely different experience!

Speaking of disembarkation, we did not self-disembark in Hamburg but we might be willing to try it next time. We waited in the Royal Court Theater for the call to disembar for what was probably an hour (but seemed like more because I didn't sleep much the night before). The Hamburg terminal is relatively small, I think, making for some chaos when claiming bags and finding the end of the taxi line. I can see how carrying one's own bags off might expedite things.

We're beginning to look at the April '06 trip departing Ft. Lauderdale for Netherlands, etc. Hope we can make it work!

The link doesn't appear to be working right now but I'll check it out again later.

It's truly a small world. I'm in northern Westchester but born and raised in NYC (the Bronx to be exact).

Happy travels.

Archived