First Timer with Questions

There is a wealth of information on these boards- thanks to you all. Even so, I have managed to come up with some questions. BF and I will be cruising on the Triumph in 26 days! Woo-hoo! Going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios

1. What do you do with valuables like cameras, money, while on shore excursions. Specifically, we will be doing things like feeding the Stingrays, and doing a Helmet Walk where we will both be in water. Are there normally lockers around or do you just hope for the best?

2. SHore Excursions booking. I have planned to do five. All are through Carnival except one where we ride ATVs to Mayan ruins in Coz. Do you think that is too much? I am not into shopping all that much and wanted to take advantage of time on each island, but after visiting these boards it seems that most people prefer to wander aimlessly over the planned experiences.

3. Time zones. If we book excursions on our own to save money, should be be worrying about time zone. For example, itin says we will be in Coz 7am to 10pm. Is that local time or ship time? I don't want to miss a private excursion I booked because I was going by the wrong time zone.

That's all for now.... but I will probably have something else pop into my mind tomorrow. PLanning is hard work!

3. Time zones. If we book excursions on our own to save money, should be be worrying about time zone. For example, itin says we will be in Coz 7am to 10pm. Is that local time or ship time? I don't want to miss a private excursion I booked because I was going by the wrong time zone.
My experience with HAL is that ship time is local time.

1. What do you do with valuables like cameras, money, while on shore excursions. Specifically, we will be doing things like feeding the Stingrays, and doing a Helmet Walk where we will both be in water. Are there normally lockers around or do you just hope for the best?

You always have to exercise caution with your valuables. My suggestion is to only bring what you know you will need. I've done several excursions where I've left valuables on the boat while I was out in the water. This should be OK, but then again, you never know. Unless you go to a beach, there will probably not be lockers in my experience.

2. SHore Excursions booking. I have planned to do five. All are through Carnival except one where we ride ATVs to Mayan ruins in Coz. Do you think that is too much? I am not into shopping all that much and wanted to take advantage of time on each island, but after visiting these boards it seems that most people prefer to wander aimlessly over the planned experiences.

I wouldn't call our wandering "aimless" for the most part. ;) There is such a thing as excursion overkill where you spend all your time looking at your watch or straining to make it to your next activity and don't get a chance to relax. Another thing is ... excursions are usually expensive. I know I usually choose one major excursion for each cruise I go on ... though to be honest, I've been to most of the ports many times. If you like the idea of packing in the excursions, though ... go for it. This is a completely personal thing.

Carnival ships stay on ship's time, which is the time zone of your embarkation port. When you book Carnival excursions, time zones aren't really an issue because your tickets and directions will be given in ship's time. If you book independent excursions, times might be different, but the operator should be aware of the differences between local and ship's time and inform you of both. Just make sure you keep your watches on ship's time and be aware of what time the ship leaves port.

There is a wealth of information on these boards- thanks to you all. Even so, I have managed to come up with some questions. BF and I will be cruising on the Triumph in 26 days! Woo-hoo! Going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios

That's all for now.... but I will probably have something else pop into my mind tomorrow. PLanning is hard work!

1.) We take "neck wallets"(do a search)..waterproof square containers on adjustable neck ropes..they have very slim models and thicker ones (about the size of a deck of cards)..they hold your ship card a credit card and some cash and go in the water with you...as for cameras we take the disposable waterproof cameras when we know we'll be away from our valuables at the same time (in the water etc)...they have a wrist band to take in the water as well

2.) excursions are great, through the ship a bit more expensive than privately booked ones ( we planned a few through our roll call privately that worked out very well)

3.) If you book on your own, the local tour people probably know your ship's routine better than you willl..most send a confirmation by email as to where to meet ..and when

Have a great cruise

Archived