An elevator (lift) question

Freckles67

I read somewhere that there is an elevator that is on the outside of the QM2. Hubby and I have looked at all the pix we can find of the exterior, and I don't see an elevator. Seems like this would be a very scary or very awesome ride, depending on how adventurous one is.....

Did I imagine this or misunderstand? On the floorplans I see an elevator at the very front on each side of the upper decks. Does this elevator have a window looking outside? I can't imagine the view and I'm afraid my eyes would be closed, chicken that I am!

Hi Freckles67,

Yes, there are outside elevators. It is under the bridge on both sides of the ship. It goes from the Promanade Deck to the deck under the bridge. No interior view from these elevators - only the sea and the upper balcony cabins. It's a great ride (but short).

Ed

Does anyone have a photo taken from this elevator? (or know where I might find one online?) I can't imagine the view looking out, or even what the elevator looks like.

Yes indeed, someone did post a video of the ride, but, I'm so sorry, I've no idea of the address of the site it was from, I just can't remember, but will try, I apologise and will try to find it for you.

I also remember someone posting a clip from these elevators. However I knew I had a clip of my own, so after going through three hours of QM2 video, here it is :

jonclair.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ship/elev320a.mpg

I also remember someone posting a clip from these elevators. However I knew I had a clip of my own, so after going through three hours of QM2 video, here it is :

jonclair.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ship/elev320a.mpg

Thank you so much for taking the strain off my little grey cells, it was hurting!

Very best wishes

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I wanted to see. I was hoping to see a still photo, but a video is so much better! Can't wait to ride in this elevator in December. :p

Hi Freckles67,

Your Request Is My Command!

Attached is a photo I took after getting off the Mary on 7/8 from the street level of the Brooklyn Terminal.

Your elevator is the wide thick black strip that is in the front of the ship on the left side of the photo. On the right side of the CUNARD word it runs from top to bottom Deck 11 Navigation Deck - Open Deck to Deck 7 Promenade Deck. The entrance of the elevator can be accessed by the Promenade Deck door and next to the Gym-Excercise Room door. The elevator lands on each deck 7 thru 11.

It is a very short ride but one that is thrilling. I find it a very good feature of the ship especially when coming in and out of a port.

Hope this helps........

Regards,

:D ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

The picture shows this elevator so well, and now I understand why I couldn't find it in pix I'd looked at. I didn't understand that it is contained inside an elevator shaft with a view outside. I had visualized the whole elevator car moving up and down suspended outside the ship.

And ESLO, if my wish is your command, I would like to wish for peace on earth. And for a big win in the Florida lottery... If I win I will treat you to another QM2 cruise!;)

The picture shows this elevator so well, and now I understand why I couldn't find it in pix I'd looked at. I didn't understand that it is contained inside an elevator shaft with a view outside. I had visualized the whole elevator car moving up and down suspended outside the ship.

And ESLO, if my wish is your command, I would like to wish for peace on earth. And for a big win in the Florida lottery... If I win I will treat you to another QM2 cruise!;)

Thank you Freckles67,

The very large family of Cruise Critics are here to help each other with advise, comments, hints and experience. One hand washes the other.

My knownledge to you was from my experience from being on her for the first time. I too looked at the deck layout for weeks before the cruise to become familiar with her layout. I also noticed that the (L) was in the Grand Lobby and figured it out. But close to the date, I also noticed the (L) up front on both sides and didn't understand till I saw the description. My full knownledge was not till onboard and road it for the first time. I too was surprised with my first exposure to this, but now will use it as a shortcut.

Enjoy!

Regards,

:cool: ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Archived