For those of you in Halifax Sept. 23

Just a heads up for anyone in Halifax on September 23. It will be a crazy, busy day in this city. First off, there's a Rolling Stones outdoor concert in the near downtown area. Expecting approx. 60,000 for that. There's also an exhibition NHL game, and it's the tail-end of the Atlantic Film Festival. Plus, there will be 3 cruise ships in. It will be a very crowded, busy city that day, but loads of fun! Enjoy.

Mask, thanks for the warning. We are one one of the 4 (not 3) cruiseships in that day. We looked on the port authority some time ago and we dont even have a pier yet. Sea Princess (us) and QE2 are still listed as TBA. I have no idea where they will put us as the usual piers are already allocated to 2 others.

I expect the concert will be in the evening and we will have sailed by then. If it gets scheduled for the afternoon we might get to hear some of it.:D At our ages we have much in common with the Rolling Stones and would be pretty much word perfect on the lyrics!!:D :D And all their audience would be inside the stadium.

It would be good if the Sea Princess captain invited this group of "local singers" onboard to give a concert in the Show Lounge. "Folkloric" is how these local groups are often described:D :D

Mask, I see you are in NS but are you actually in Halifax?

I was wondering if the number of people expected in town might impact on the route to/from Peggys Cove. We were thinking of leaving a possible trip until we actually arrive on the 23rd but now wondering if we might have difficulty getting back into Halifax if we go ahead with this idea. Can you advise?

And have you any idea where the "TBA" cruise ships are docked when the usual piers are already full?

edinburgher,

Yes, I am in Halifax. It's hard to say how this will impact travel to and from Peggy's Cove, but I don't think will too much. I would think most of the traffic would be in the morning. The gates open at 1 with the concert (which is outdoors) starting at 4:30. There will be 3 other bands before the Stones so it will be a late night. Also, there's not a hotel room to be had that weekend in the city, so lots are coming in the day before. So the traffic question is something I can't answer with any certainty. The city has never hosted something this large, which explains why, unfortunately I'm not much help.

As for the piers, again I'm not sure, but a new pier just opened last month call the Cunard Centre (Pier 23), so maybe that might be ready for use. It's in the same area as Pier 22, where the ships now dock. If I hear of anything on this issue I'll post it.

Enjoy your visit to Halifax. It'll be a good day.

edinburgher,

Just thinking, if you want to go to Peggy's Cove maybe the best route would be to take a ship's tour. That way if there is a delay because of traffic, the ship won't leave. For piece of mind it might be worth the extra cost over doing in on you own. Peggy's Cove is a beautiful spot. I highly recommend you seeing it. But if you choose not to go, just walking around the waterfront is great. There's lots to do and see.

edinburgher,

Just thinking, if you want to go to Peggy's Cove maybe the best route would be to take a ship's tour. That way if there is a delay because of traffic, the ship won't leave. For piece of mind it might be worth the extra cost over doing in on you own.

Thanks for the information, Mask. We will be there the same day and had considered renting a car and driving to Peggy's Cove on our own but that doesn't sound like a good idea at all. After all, this is supposed to be a relaxing vacation, not a time to be fighting traffic. I think we will leave the driving to someone else even though we'd much rather be on our own to see what we like for as long as we like.

Thanks for the extra info Mask.

We are on the same Roll Call as Judy and we will simply make the best of it. The gates opening as early as 1pm will be a big help as lots of ticket holders will be off the streets at least during the afternoon.:) And with it being held in the open we might even get to hear some of it....but will have sailed by the time the RS begin their set.:(

I sure hope that new pier is open on time!!

Archived