Loterie Farm

I tried posting this on the St. Maarten site but it dosen't get much traffic. Hoping someone here can help.

Has anyone done the excursion for the Loterie Farm Treetop Adventure Tour on St. Maarten with RCCL? Is it appropriate for kids? I've sent the farm an e-mail and have read up on the excursion but was hoping to get a first hand account. Thanks as always.

My son and I did the zip line tour in January and had a great time. There's a minimum age, although I don't recall what it is. I'm about 4'10", and there some long reaches for me, but I made it. I'm 51 and in relatively good shape. I was nowhere near the oldest one in the group, and there was at least one kid under 10, who was a little shorter than me, but not by much.

I've attached a link to a thread about the zip line tour from the St. Maarten board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=331298

Jodi

...did the treetop adventure in April and LOVED it!! It is much more physical than many of the ziplining adventures and includes hanging bridges, wire-walks, rope bridges, etc. You really need to be in pretty good shape to do it...there were very few kids that day, mostly teens and not younger! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!!

My husband and I took this tour in 7/05. We really enjoyed the tour but some things to note.

- It is the most physically intensive tour I'd ever taken on a cruise. Really that isn't saying much as most cruise tours I'd ever taken were not physically challenging whatsoever, but it's something to consider. It is definitely a good workout. You didn't mention how old your kids are, but I think kids in the 8 or older age range would have an easier time on the tour than some of the adults I saw.

- There were only 3-4 actual zips (one of which they take your pic). I would consider the rest more of an obstacle course in the trees. As someone else mentioned, hanging bridges, rope bridges, swinging on a rope, etc. BTW, both DH and I agreed once we completed the course that we were buying the zip picture regardless of the price...we needed proof that we'd actually done it!

- You get to hear a history of Loterie Farm, receive an alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink once your back down on the ground, and have an opportunity to talk to the people that work there, purchase a picture. Very nice people.

- This may have been a relatively new tour when we took it, but for us the tour took up the majority of our time in St. Maarten. Most everyone on the tour was pretty pooped on the bus ride back, but we and a couple others asked the bus driver to drop us downtown on the way back to the ship. We were sweaty and stinky but only had an hour or so before having to be back on the ship and had some items we were looking for as gifts.

We really enjoyed the tour and would do it again!

My son is 8 but not very athletic. What if we get there and he doesn't want to do it, is there a way to go with us without actually doing the zip-line? Or is it all or nothing? I would love to go but I don't want to push him into something I know he won't enjoy (even if I will) :)

I think you can go to Loterie just for hiking/ecology walking. I don't ave kids, but I'd think that unless he's really adventuresome and NOT afraid of heights the treetop "adventure" wouldn't be from him...other opinions ????

Would you consider doing this on your own? We rented a car from Hertz (approx $60). The rental desk was just to the right of the pier. Then we drove to Loterie Farms. Unlike some of the islands, St Martin is very easy to navigate. Directions from these boards made it a breeze to find. We left the ship at 8:15, arrived at LF about 9:00, and my husband and daughter were through the course before the first shore excursion arrived (their cost, $40 each). They loved it--the highlight of the cruise--but VERY physically demanding. My 13-yr old fared far better than her dad. He was exhausted.

Yes, we would do it on our own (DH loves not having to pay cruise ship excursion prices). Did you just wait for them while theydid it? Did you have prior reservations or did you just go up to the farm?

My son is 8 but not very athletic. What if we get there and he doesn't want to do it, is there a way to go with us without actually doing the zip-line? Or is it all or nothing? I would love to go but I don't want to push him into something I know he won't enjoy (even if I will) :)

Do you have your heart set on the Treetop adventure? There is a hike up the mountain through the Loterie Farm called the Hidden Forest Adventure. My (adult) daughter and I did this last summer and enjoyed the beautiful scenery and the views from the top. We passed the Treetop folks along the way. It's quite a strenuous hike, but an 8 y/o should be able to manage it well. Just a thought...

Chris

I don't believe your son could skip the zips as the first thing you do once you climb up is one of the bigger zips. It is possible to quit the course and climb down periodically, although I didn't see anyone do it. There was a young girl on our tour who was nervous and the guides were very helpful in getting and encouraging her through the course. I hit a rough patch in one part and they were great coming back to help me.

If your son didn't want to participate, he could always wait below and watch you go through it.

Good luck with your decision.

I took my book and read while they did the course. There are a few picnic tables scattered around at the bottom of the course. They are well shaded. They do not take reservations, but if you get there early enough you will have no trouble getting on. We arrived about 9:00 (as they were opening). We were the only people there for at least the next 30 minutes. Our ship was the only one in port that day, and the AoS shore excursions did not arrive until about 10:15. If other ships are in port, their excursions may arrive earlier. Check www.cruisecal.com to see if other ships are in on the same day.

I think I'll keep searching for things to do on St. Maarten. Since we'll spend some other days on the beach (and we live 15 minutes from the beach) I was trying to come up with something adventurous and a little different. I did consider just doing the hike but DS is not into hiking. I'll head back to the Ports of Call boards and get more ideas.

Archived