Using Traveler's checks to get euros - on board?

LynneM44

We will be on the Insignia in September and were wondering if anyone can answer a money changing question. If we have US Traveler's Checks, can they be used on board to exchange for Euros. If not, if we purchase Traveler's checks in Euros, will the ship's pursar exchange these for regular euros?

We cashed euro traveller's cheques on board and saw others cashing US $ travellers checks for euros. ATMs in towns are the best current exchange rate, I happened to think ahead and bought some euro travellers checques at a pretty darn good exchange rate a few months before our cruise.

• 1 month later...

Lynn - why would you want to do that? Just bring your ATM card and it will spit out the local currency (EURO's too, if that is the currency of where you are). Just be sure to let your bank know you are going overseas so they don't block your card thinking it's a security breach.

We usually travel with two cards, in case one has a problem. But it is WAY easier than trying to trade in travelers checks. Which are pretty obsolete now.

Judy

We haven't used traveler's checks on board so I'm not positive, but it seems to me that you'll get socked with an excessive transaction charge as well. The ship also is not passenger friendly when it comes to their exchange rate. When we were on board Insignia earlier this summer it definitely did not pay to change money on board.

I can't quote exactly because I don't precisely recall, but when the British pound was officially at $1.82, I think Oceania was listing it at around $1.90. (In one of the ship's publications they switched the exchange rates of the euro and the pound which was rather startling until I figured out exactly what had happened!)

The ATM advice is the best you can get. It should go without saying that you use your bank card there, NOT a credit card.

Our experience with traveler's checks in euros (which has mostly been in France on private road trips) is that large establishments will take them. Small ones (like small hotels, gas stations, small restaurants, etc.) do NOT.

Archived