Dogs on Board....

Sunnystone

I just read an interesting article that the QM2 allows a certain number of pets to be brought on board, albeit in the special kennel area. The "ammenity package" was impressive and the idea of getting to cruise with our dog and visit ports appears to be rather inviting. Has anyone tried this? If so, what was your experience?

We've never cruised Cunard but may try it for this reason!

Thanks,

Kathryn & Peter

I just read an interesting article that the QM2 allows a certain number of pets to be brought on board, albeit in the special kennel area. The "ammenity package" was impressive and the idea of getting to cruise with our dog and visit ports appears to be rather inviting. Has anyone tried this? If so, what was your experience?

We've never cruised Cunard but may try it for this reason!

Thanks,

Kathryn & Peter

I don't think you would be able to take your pets ashore at many of the ports, I may be wrong and it would depend on the individual country's customs regulations, you would definitely need to check with Cunard, port by port on that one before booking, particularly if that was one of the main reasons for choosing that particualr cruise, I know you would stand no chance of getting an animal off a ship in the UK or any of the European countries, I would have imagined it would be much the same in the caribbean etc except perhaps in some of the US governed islands, which always seem to me to rather over zealous anyway with port regulations.

However I do believe that you can visit your pets as often as you like which may be a nice thing to do rather than leave it at home or in a non rocking kennel ashore.

Hello Sunnystone: this question pops up here every couple of months. At the current time pets are only permitted on trans-Atlantics, has something to do with Cunard still trying to obtain insurance, so I guess it's a liability issue.

This July I was on a t/A to Southhampton and the kennel was full of dogs and cats.

Our friend had his dog in the kennel and the dog seemed to be having a great time :) We visited the kennels with our friend and actuallly made more friends with the "dog" people. It was a great little sub community on board and all of the animals seemed happy and well taken care of.

At the end of the voyage all of the people from the pet families had their pictures taken together.

* extra incentive....the people traveling with pets also embarked and disembarked first.

I will be on the full QE2 world cruise and one of my biggest laments is having to leave my Kerry Blue Terrier behind :( He will be 14 months old by the time I leave and oh how I wish I could have him aboard... But he will be in very good hands while I am gone... I was just told the other day by a friend who was a long time Cunard employee that dogs often suffer very badly from seasickness.

We took our cat with us on the QM2 to Southampton and back

from May 23 to June 4 this year. We had a great time, and, as

far as we could tell, so did our cat. He had five dogs for

company eastbound, but westbound he had the kennels all to

himself. Talk about being spoiled.

He stayed aboard while we toured Southampton, but "greatam"

is right that it's a lot easier to take a pet to the UK than it used

to be. Ask Cunard customer service to send you information

about the "Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)" that has all the details.

Our travel blog http://*****.blogspot.com/ may bore

you with pix and stories of our cat, and us, but at least it's first

hand info.

Personally I wouldn't want to leave our dog in the kennel. She is not use to be caged up and I think she would have more of a problem with it. I think I would too. When we travel, either she has stayed home with someone or with someone she knows.

If you have a dog and have no-one to it leave it with whilst you go cruising then try typing in Barking Mad. There you will find a company who match up your dog with a host, they are extremely good, I could not bear to leave my dog in kennels. I have no connection with this company just passing on the info as we have just discovered them and used them and were very satisfied. It may be of use to someone

How cruel, to take a pet on a ship for your own benefit.

How do you explain bad weather to a dog? How can you comfort your dog if he is upset in the middle of the night?

The reason transatlantic liners take dogs on board is simply for those who are crossing to set up in a new country, and it was the only way to take them.

Pets should be left at home.

Personally I wouldn't want to leave our dog in the kennel. She is not use to be caged up and I think she would have more of a problem with it. I think I would too. When we travel, either she has stayed home with someone or with someone she knows.

That's nonsense. A dog who is used to going to kennels doesn't mind a jot. Just ask ours. Never even a backward glance, just a wagging tail as he goes to his suite!

Thanks for the responses. This was an inquiry and not meant to start a war of sorts over whether pets should be left at home or not. All our dogs are accustomed to kennels and also to travel. Our dogs and hounds over the years have travelled worldwide to shows and on vacation with us. This would have been a great option for our hounds after we would get them in England then fly home to the US. "Rocking" on the ship would have been a less stressful option for them than crating, flying, driving, etc. Also cost would have been similar and they could have had their own QM2 coat as a "souvenier"!

Seriously though, we just thought this might be an interesting vacation option as our bulldog has become a beach fan from our last few vacations!

Thanks again,

K

This was an inquiry and not meant to start a war of sorts over whether pets should be left at home or not.

After reading all the interesting and informative posts which this thread generated regarding traveling with dogs in the kennels of QE2 or QM2, I am now convinced that shipboard kennel travel would be too traumatic for my Kerry Blue Terrier, "Guinness." I have decided to book him into a QE2 Signal Deck suite. There he will receive the pampering to which he is accustomed. I shall remain in my humble Caronia cabin! LOL ;)

After reading all the interesting and informative posts which this thread generated regarding traveling with dogs in the kennels of QE2 or QM2, I am now convinced that shipboard kennel travel would be too traumatic for my Kerry Blue Terrier, "Guinness." I have decided to book him into a QE2 Signal Deck suite. There he will receive the pampering to which he is accustomed. I shall remain in my humble Caronia cabin! LOL ;)

If I were you, I would book MYSELF into the kennels.

The pampering that goes on there (including fresh baked treats daily), I hear is MUCH mor than even that from the Butlers in the QG suites!

Karie,

who would love to live the pampered life of some pets.

Think it's "get a grip" time. Here we are taking super luxury cruises, unthinkable for our parents just a few years ago, and now we want to take the pooch as well!!

Where wiil it end, pot plants, gerbils, the marital bed?

As mentioned, the facility is for taking your dog (or cat) trans Atlantic. Not on vacation.

Let's try to grow up.

David.

Think it's "get a grip" time. Here we are taking super luxury cruises, unthinkable for our parents just a few years ago, and now we want to take the pooch as well!!

Where wiil it end, pot plants, gerbils, the marital bed?

As mentioned, the facility is for taking your dog (or cat) trans Atlantic. Not on vacation.

Let's try to grow up.

David.

Thanks David, I agree, I just didn't have the ba**s to come forward and say that. QE2 placed the kennels on board for that very reason ( moving with pet permanently from one continent to the other ) and as I understand, so did QM2. It may be correct that passengers have seen pets on Caribbean cruises but I just don't undertsand that no one has come forward to say they did so. As of just a few weeks ago, some friends enquired onboard directly to the kennel keeper and was told Cunard had no insurance at the moment to carry pets on other than crossings.

This remains a mistery...

David and Highcbob:

Get a grip? I guess you should explain that to the uber high end resorts and hotels who cater to a rather well heeled clientele who like their pets to be with them. Even major chains like Starwood cater to pets, so cruising is just another dimension of the unexplored yet high potential source of vast revenue production. The fact that Carnival is behind it makes all the sense in the world. Oh yes, here is another gripping thought, the billions of dollars spent in the pet industry alone.

David, I don't even remotely understand your grouping of "pot plants, gerbils and the marital bed" but I'm sure it was not good. Sorry to have upset you so badly by what I thought was really an innocent inquiry.

K

Where will it end, pot plants?

At Christmas they put a poinsettia in each cabin. If they're left in the cabin at the end of the cruise they're just thrown away. We brought ours home. Does that count?:confused: (:rolleyes: )

David and Highcbob:

Get a grip? I guess you should explain that to the uber high end resorts and hotels who cater to a rather well heeled clientele who like their pets to be with them. Even major chains like Starwood cater to pets, so cruising is just another dimension of the unexplored yet high potential source of vast revenue production. The fact that Carnival is behind it makes all the sense in the world. Oh yes, here is another gripping thought, the billions of dollars spent in the pet industry alone.

David, I don't even remotely understand your grouping of "pot plants, gerbils and the marital bed" but I'm sure it was not good. Sorry to have upset you so badly by what I thought was really an innocent inquiry.

K

Not upset at all, because Cunard have a sensible policy re pets aboard.

But next you will be expecting to have doggy in your cabin with a cosy Cunard padded basket and conveniently placed litter trays around the ship.

A cruise liner may appear to be just a hotel afloat, but outside walkies (have you seen where they are housed on QM2) would be a little less comfortable than with an on- shore establishment.

Owners who bring an animal with them on a ship do it for their own pleasure (except of course when traveling transatlantic for a long term visit) and certainly not for the benefit of the animal, which would be far more content in a quality kennel or cattery.

David.

Archived