Locked Luggage

argoisin

TSA has relaxed the rules you can carry sissors, screw drivers, and nail clippers on board an airplane as long as the blade lenghth is less than 4 inches. My DW is a flight attendant and the union tried to keep the rules from being relaxed but it went into effect anyway.

Well, they do let my blunt-nosed scissors in, along with those big toe nail clippers. Not wanting to really bring up a bad subject, but couldn't someone do as much damage with a 4" screwdriver as a box cutter?

DH had a bunch of those zip ties in neon colors, so we are planning on using those.

We went into Mori Luggage yesterday looking for a steamer. They had those locks that can be unlocked by the airlines. They cost $8 each. :eek: Zip ties for us!

Wish me happy birthday today,

Shay

We carried a diving knife in our checked luggage. We took it to the first port with us and when we reboarded the ship, they told us we'd need to leave it with them and check it in and out at the ports where we wanted to take it with us. We checked it out at the second port, but not the third since we weren't snorkeling there. We picked it up after clearing customs when we got back to Galveston.

Suzy

Well, they do let my blunt-nosed scissors in, along with those big toe nail clippers. Not wanting to really bring up a bad subject, but couldn't someone do as much damage with a 4" screwdriver as a box cutter?

DH had a bunch of those zip ties in neon colors, so we are planning on using those.

We went into Mori Luggage yesterday looking for a steamer. They had those locks that can be unlocked by the airlines. They cost $8 each. :eek: Zip ties for us!

Wish me happy birthday today,

Shay

Happy Birthday Shay

I've never locked my luggage, I generally carry all valuables on with me. I figure if someone wants in, they'll get in. Guess I've been lucky. I travel quite frequently and I just don't bother anymore...

GC, I've never locked my luggage when flying, either. Haven't seen a reason to. In fact, the last few times I've flown, the TSA guy has asked me "Is your luggage locked?" When I say no, he smiles like thank you.

I agree with the other guys....I don't bother locking it anymore. I never put anything of value in there anyway. I always assume when I pack that I will never see anything in there again. If it shows up intact, great! If not, no big loss. Can't imagine anyone would be interested in underwear, t-shirts and shoes anyway!:p I pack so light that anyone interested in looking through it for booty would know by it's weight there was nothing in there!:p

Some TSA approved locks have an indicator that indicates wether or not the lock has been opened using a master. Last time we traveled the indicator was tripped and when I opened it there was a form from the TSA stating my bag had been searched.
We used those on the Caribbean Princess in May. Between the cabin and the warehouse, someone cut one off a bag. Nothing was missing, but the lock was pricey, and I'm disappointed by the lack of security. There's no TSA inspection until after you leave the pier.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

Archived