Does Celebrity have friends of Bill W meetings??

Guri

Celebrity, grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change ( obnoxious children, annoying people on walkietalkies and cellphones, and those who refuse to follow the dress code )

The courage to change the things I can ( to stop breaking cellphones in half, slapping those obnoxious kids upside the head, and making snide comments at those dressed inappropriately )

And the wisdom to know the difference ( so I don't let those annoyances ruin my cruise):D

Dave:eek:

X is MY higher power

For someone who seems quite familiar with AA and all it stands for, I am a little surprised you would not stop to consider that some "friends" might find your parody just a little offensive. Specifically the last sentence, which strikes pretty close to the core of the programme. Just a thought.

For quite some time with friends and co-workers that I've helped get back and fourth the question of a higher power came up MANY, MANY times, and although the program is based on the theory of a Judeo-Christian one, I have been told, and have seen many who are not religious in nature being told they could comprehend what they need to have the object of a higher power, be it a 'God' , a rock or a tree...The program is about focus.:)

Sorry I meant that as a parody, not to offend any, but those who know people that attend or have attended themselves know this to be true.

Dave:eek:

As an active "sponsor" I can tell you that one of the most difficult things for a new person can be getting their head around the concept of a "higher power", or "the God thing". I too have suggested the use of inanimate objects if that is what it takes, for "getting" this concept underlies a successful recovery. I am sure you meant no offense, and there are many parodies of the Serenity prayer (I liked yours, actually), but a parody of the concept of "higher power" is pushing the limits a bit. IMHO.

Thanks

In the many "Friends of Bill W" I have attended in 18 cruises on nine different cruise lines, I have met a wide variety of people. There was the couple from Finland with more than 20 years sobriety. Then there was the husband and wife who were part of the ship's entertainment. She sobered up in Los Angeles, returned home to Poland and met the man who became her husband at a meeting there. There was the Aussie who sobered up in Honk Kong, the Scotsman who wore his kilts on Formal night and one one cruise, the ship's doctor.

On the first cruise I ever took, in 1999, I ran into someone at the meeting who looked familiar. We compared notes and recalled that I had met him in Phoenix in my early sobriety in the late 60s. He moved to Texas, but despite that, remained sober and we each enjoyed a friendsip that had started 30 years earlier.

On my recent Oceania cruise, there was no posting of a meeting. I went to the Cruise Director, and the next day it was in the ship's newsletter.

The only problems we have had at times was getting a room reserved. The gave us the library once on a Celebrity ship, I forget which one, and there was a lady in the library who did not know she was supposed to leave, but since she only spoke and understood French, we ignored her and went on with our meeting while she happily read her French book.

Archived