Jewel of the Seas Dec. 18

You were all so helpful when we took our first cruise last December. Now, we are thinking of taking our children on the December 18th 8 night cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. They are 8 and 10. It will be their first cruise. We got a Balcony Cabin for ourselves #1504 and the children in an inside cabin directly across the hall #1509. Does this sound like a good cruise for the kids? Also, we have booked a room before and after at the Sheraton Yankee Trader in Fort Lauderdale. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi, Welcome aboard. We are a family of 4 (Children 9 & 6 yrs) onboard the Jewel. We are in 1554 or 1552 GS...I have to check our confirmation. It is our 3rd cruise. (Previously Disney Magic and the Golden Princess). My parents are coming along for their first cruise ever.. they are in an inside cabin on deck 10, as well. We are more the land holiday types(Hubby especially), and have done Hawaii, Mexico, Florida and Caribbean with our kids. But there is something about a cruise, that is a bit more exciting, than just travelling to a land based resort(My thoughts). The posts that I have read regarding holiday travel, seem to elevate the excitement level just a bit higher, because of the decorations and festivities aboard!

Hope all goes well for your travel plans, keep in touch.

:)Pam

Are you going on the same cruise? Maybe our kids could meet up. They seem to be about the same age. I am very excited. My husband and I loved our last cruise the Celebrity Century and I think my kids will get a real kick out of this. It is supposed to be a beautiful ship. We, too, have done a lot of land trips with the kids, but in the end it ends up costing as much as this cruise. Can't wait.

Welcome aboard Lasarre! We too will be sailing on the Jewel for Christmas. I love Christmas at Sea! We are a family of 4 with kids 17 and 19. My parents are also joining us for this cruise. We also have 2 cabins, a balcony and an inside for our kids.

I've sailed Holiday cruises several times with RCI and we really love them. They do a wonderful job and treat you to a lovely festive week. I'm sure your entire family will have a good time.

I started a Roll Call on the other board under Jewel of the Seas Christmas. I'll try to link it......http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=48253

If you have any questions we can talk on the Roll Call board as the hosts prefer we do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just got back from a holiday in Saskatchewan...hey its not a cruise..but it is amazing in its own right. We are definitely booked aboard the JEwel for Dec 18, barring illness or catastrophe. We are going to Beaches in Turks In Feb and WDW or Mayan Riviera in March. (We like to travel.) Plus we are skking in Fernie Alpine at New years and Jan 05. (We like activity). But....I am most excited about the holiday sail for the decorations, entertainment and new friends that we will meet.

Later, :)Pam

Just a quick note about the Jewell cabins on deck 10 under the Windjammer. We were in 1062 and could here the dirty dish carts rolling across the tile floor 18 hours a day. If you have any light sleepers, you might want to try for different cabins. Another thing we disliked about our location was the people on the hump and the people in the Windjammer could look right on to our balcony. We felt like we were in a fishbowl and just ended up not using the balcony. People who had up forward cabins did compain of quite a bit of rocking, though we did not notice it too bad. I believe we had 1568 on the Serenade and again people on the hump could look at us on our deck. The noise from the Windjammer was bad there also. Why we went on deck 10 again is beyond me, other than that was all that was open as we were late bookers. I should have figured it out when all the other decks were sold out.

Welcome back Dr. Pam. Boy you sure do like traveling. We don't know anyway to go except on a cruise. It works best for our family. Can't wait to sail this beautiful ship. If she's as gorgeous as her sister Radiance I'll be in heaven.

But first I'm sailing the Mercury.......

Sorry about the crummy location but sometimes that happens. We try to book far out so we get our choice of cabins. I booked the Jewel 350 days in advance for the holiday sailing.

We're booked on a forward cabin deck 2 (2 actually one balcony for DH and I and an inside for children across the hall). We are about 4 from the bridge. Were the waters rough or smooth when people talked about the motion? These were the only cabins my TA could find which were across from each other. This is my children's first cruise and I am worried about the motion. They have been on other types of boats before and not gotten sick. Should I be worried?

I would think the lower levels should have less motion. I did feel some motion on deck 10 on the Serenade and the Jewell, however, we were in the North Atlantic and the North Seas respectively. Did have to take some Sudafed and a couple Dramamine. I have never been up front, but did not realize deck 2 had any balcony cabins. I thought they only had port holes and the windows started a little higher. If a balcony is important, you might double check with your TA about that.

Lasarre there are no balcony's on deck 2. Can you double check this? They start on deck 7 I believe.

I think If the kids have sea legs on a boat they should be OK on a ship. I wouldn't worry too much.

I prefer not being forward as that is where the waters effect the ship first and the ride seemed much more choppy to me.

Sorry, need to clarify. I meant 2 cabins on deck 10. One inside across the hall and one balcony cabin. The only inside cabins on that deck and, I believe, deck 9 are forward. My dh does not like being on the lower decks. I have been looking at decks 7 and 8, but, as of now, there are no inside cabins available higher than deck 4. I really don't want to give up our balcony cabin (we have never had one).

That's why I was asking about the movement. Thanks

Archived