**Welcome to the South Beach Buddy Thread***

Saldino,

Sorry to hear you had a pizza (a slice or the whole pizza?) but don't worry too much about it. These things do happen. The important thing is to limit their occurence and to get back on track right away.

Regarding the meal plan I suggested... just realized a French word slipped in there. Lait is milk in English (sorry about that... that happens often to me lately, saying English words when I speak French and writing French words when I am writing in English.....).

Hey everone,

I just found this thread and am excited to have seen it. I've never tried SB but have all the info. I've always been a WW girl. Of course I'm still 50 lbs overweight. I'm cruising on Mariner Sept 24 and would love to be 15 lbs lighter, so, I'm joining you all.

183/140 goal

Mitzi

Hi and thanks for starting this! I'm going back into phase 1 for a few days or a week to get myself back in the zone after a week of camping. I have crohn's disease and can't follow phase 1 for very long but do really well with phase 2.

Starting weight: 237

Now I weigh: 201

Goal for 11/27 (Jamiaca) 180

Ultimate goal: around 140

Last week's workout: Lots of walking around camp and hiking

Yesterday's workout: 15 min. on the elliptical torture device and 30 on the bike.

I'm off to eat breakfast. Probably eggs. We raise chickens so I eat eggs alot!:D

Tami

I just started SBD (first time) and I also have Crohn's. I recently finished 3 months of prednisone and am stable again but I really want to lose the weight I gained this last go round. I didn't ask my gastro about SBD and Crohn's, but almost 1 week in and so far so good. I had a little episode on day 2 and thought it wasn't going to work out, but I'm okay now. I'd love to hear more about how you handled this diet and if you have any tips regarding your disease.

:eek: Off to CLEAN OUT THE FRIDGE! Only way to get a good handle on not cheating.:D Compost heap--here I come!

Picnic on Sunday for my sister's birthday et al, but I am doing a Indian barbecue...so lots of grilled veggies and tandoori chicken. I will make biryani rice, but I can skip that. Can hardly wait.

Oh man! Can I come with you? I love Indian food! My oldest daughter was born in Calcutta and we are obsessed. I've modified several recipes like channa masala, pork or eggs vindaloo, and paneer masala with peas to be SB friendly. Rice is not my thing but warm Naan is very hard to pass up.

Tami

I just started SBD (first time) and I also have Crohn's. I recently finished 3 months of prednisone and am stable again but I really want to lose the weight I gained this last go round. I didn't ask my gastro about SBD and Crohn's, but almost 1 week in and so far so good. I had a little episode on day 2 and thought it wasn't going to work out, but I'm okay now. I'd love to hear more about how you handled this diet and if you have any tips regarding your disease.

Well, first off, I should tell you that my actual crohn's disease started 20 years ago. In fact, 20 years ago RIGHT NOW I was in the hospital from early July to Sept 6. I got out 4 days before my 20th birthday. I was in for 9 weeks total. I didn't present like a normal crohn's patient who is sick for years. Looking back I can see that there were issues but I still didn't "behave" normally. I was sick for a month and when they went in to do a biopsy because they thought I had ulcerative colitis they perforated my colon. Most of my issue then was from peritonitis. They had to do an ileostomy at that time. I had reactions to prednisone and azulfadine which were the only medications available to treat crohn's at the time so they sent me home with a wait and see attitude. That was 20 years ago.

Since then (knock on wood!) I've had no actual crohn's related issues. They completely removed the part of my colon which had the disease in it and I've never had my system reconnected. I had a lower scope done to see about reconnection in 2001 and they perforated me AGAIN which meant another 11 days in the hospital and I just decided that the ileostomy isn't really an issue most of the time anyway. I'll keep it rather than risk a flair up.

I still take no meds for that. Where I run into problems with getting too low in starchy carbs is with the ostomy maintainance. I'll spare details but it gets impossible to keep a seal if I dont have at least one starch during the day.

There's a book you really should read called The Protein Power Life Plan by Michael Eades and Mary Dan Eades. Some of it is a little technical and alot of it is about managing insulin resistance and heart disease but it also talks alot about managing autoimmune disease through nutrition. They've had alot of success with their plan, which is very similiar to SB. It's all about eating back to the nature of our ancestors but not in such a freakish way that it's unattainable.

Tami

Tami,

All four of my girls are from Calcutta (IMH). I love Indian food, and a lot of it is SB OK...and most can be adapted if not, but my mother does not like Indian food...so since she has been living with me, I have only had Indian food twice...once at home and once to Gateway to India, our favorite restaurant. So I am really looking forward to tomorrow. We'll have my mother and sister , my 1st daughter & her boyfriend, 2 Kenyan nuns that she works with, and my 1st grade teacher. There will be non-Indian food that my mother can eat. I will do a lot of the prep work today (cutting & chopping) so it will be easy tomorrow...just have to cook it.

At least it is a little cooler out now...there for a while I felt like I was back in Calcutta with no air conditioning! Thank goodness I have it here!

Judy

Judy, I love Indian food; I will be with you in spirit! :) I feel like kind of a bum this week; I only went to the gym twice in the last five days, and to be honest, I don't feel like going today. What is wrong? I mean, the reason I guess I feel discouraged is because I am not a gym person, and I have started exercise regimes countless times in the past, and I can never get past week two. Well, this time around, I'm on week five, I really thought I was going to make it to week six, which would have been a record for me, and now I am feeling like a lazy bum again. I must snap out of this.

I really think a lot of it has to do with my emotional stress right now. I teach at a community college, and for the last six months I have only been teaching part time (let me tell you, the pay difference between teaching full time and part time is unreal!! 35 k a year, with summers off, versus 9 k a year, and yes, summers off, but no pay for it!) Well, I made it through the last six months part time because I was counting on getting the full time position that would open in the fall. My department head called me to his office this week; the board did not approve the budget, therefore there is no full time opening, therefore I am still poor and part time.

I have been counting my lucky stars, because at least they renewed my contract; we have 15 part time teachers, and of those fifteen, I am the only one coming back. The board didn't approve the budget for a full time teacher because of low enrollment; the low enrollment also affected the part timers, because if there is no class due to lack of students, they have no job. So, I am blessed that I even get to come back to the college to teach, but I'm still scrambling to find supplemental income.

I decided to start trying to write again (Don't all college English profs write in their spare time:p ), but the pressure in the writer's market is just as intense. Basically, I've spent all this week trying to come to terms with my job offered that fell through, get back into the mode of writing/publishing, figure out how I'm going to make my measley income pay my bills, etc, etc, etc.

At least I haven't turned to the fridge...yet:o Perhaps today I can go swim; nice, relaxing, yet will burn some calories, too, yes??

Good luck this weekend everyone; keep your spirits up and keep dreaming of the beach bodies we will all soon be sporting!

Hugs, Andrea

Breakfast: coffee with fat free half and half

scrambled egg

Lunch: Greek Salad (grilled lamb loin, feta cheese, red onions, cucumber, Greek olives)

Dinner: Greek salad

Snacks: string cheese / an apple / chocolate pudding, sugar free

treat: one glass of red wine:)

Sorry if it looks like I'm not eating much, but here in Texas right now it's been about 110 degrees every day; eating is not fun when you are sick to your stomach from the heat LOL

Judy! that is so cool! My oldest daughter just celebrated her Gotcha Day July 13th. She's an IMH baby too. I can't believe we've had her home for 10 years now. she came home at 6 1/2 months and 10 pounds. She was still wearing preemie clothes. Now she's a gymnast, killer soccer player and budding pathologist or herpatologist. We kid her all the time about going to work with Steve Irwin with the BIG SNAKES. (She's excited because she's getting her first snake for her 11th birthday in December. Right now she's trying to decide between a ball python and a corn snake.)

We also have 3 other adopted children from various places in the US. The youngest we just brought home from Miami this past January. He's 7 months old and learned to pull himself up to standing yesterday. He learned to crawl by 6 months so I'm predicting that he shall be running by 9 months. ACK! He's on a mission to keep up with everyone. Oldest DD was so tiny that didn't walk until she was 17 months.

Tami

Yesterday's report: WOE :o Did ok until dinner time. Didn't get to eat until 7pm and my mom brought fried chicken, potatoes and cole slaw. I peeled the skin of the chicken but the rest of it was not SB friendly I'm sure.

WOEX rocked though! I'm sure that's part of the reason I was starving. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the bike.

Tonight's meal won't be all that great as I promised DS he could have pizza for his sleepover. At least we'll be at a place where I can get a salad to go along with it. Tomorrow I'm going to the grocery and doing a major stock up. We're out of fruit and veggies. I'll start from the beginning tomorrow morning. I'm tired of working out this hard and not making progress.

Tami

Thanks jp2001 for the words of encouragement. Naw not the whole pizza just two slices, haha!

I did exercise after and I've followed the meal plans today. Half an hour at least on the treadmill later.

I'm thinking of making a bean salad for dinner and then packing my lunch for work tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Jul 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saldino,

Sorry to hear you had a pizza (a slice or the whole pizza?) but don't worry too much about it. These things do happen. The important thing is to limit their occurence and to get back on track right away.

Regarding the meal plan I suggested... just realized a French word slipped in there. Lait is milk in English (sorry about that... that happens often to me lately, saying English words when I speak French and writing French words when I am writing in English.....).

Hi Andrea,

I'm so sorry to hear you didn't get the full time position you were waiting for.

If I'm too late and you already indulged in comfort food that are not SBD friendly, it's time to get back on track.

Leaving SBD won't help you in any way, it will just put an extra stress on your shoulders.

I'm sure you will find another job or some extra money from publishing what you write. SBD good food will keep your level of energy at its best while fast food will only make you tired and won't help you feeling better.

Please let me know how you feel.

Hello beach buddies! I only have a second at the computer, so I'll post my stats, but I don't have an opportunity right now to read and respond, so please don't think I'm being rude with my brief note:)

182 / 186 / 130

Went down one pound; probably because I didn't watch my carb intake every day (had two-three meals that were over sized and not healthy) and I only went to the gym twice last week: one hour cardio, and thirty minutes cardio.

This is a new day, a new week; I will have a new attitude and hopefully see results!

Good luck everyone

Didn't get on here this morning as we were having computer drama but today has gone really well. I had eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast. You'll find I eat eggs ALOT as we have about 60 hens. For lunch we were out so I got a "low carb" version of a Hardees grilled chicken sandwich. For dinner we had home made taco salads with turkey, onions, tri-colored peppers, jicama, cucumber, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese, and buffalo blue cheese dressing.

I didn't get to exercise and unless I get yoga done tonight I probably won't but I ran all around the college campus today pushing a stroller so I don't feel too bad. I will make up for it tomorrow I'm sure. We had doctor's appointments in 2 different cities that were 60 miles apart today so I was in the car all day. CRazy, crazy crazy! :rolleyes:

Talk to you all soon!

Tami

I've finished one week of phase 1 and I am down 5 pounds. I was hoping for a little more, but I guess that will have to do. My Crohn's is better than it has been in a really long time. I think my body likes this low carb eating, but I am still getting fiber with the veggies.

Went to a BBQ on the weekend and managged to avoid the potatoe salad (although it looked really good) and booze.

Off to make my mushroom omlet.

I've finished one week of phase 1 and I am down 5 pounds. I was hoping for a little more, but I guess that will have to do. My Crohn's is better than it has been in a really long time. I think my body likes this low carb eating, but I am still getting fiber with the veggies.

Went to a BBQ on the weekend and managged to avoid the potatoe salad (although it looked really good) and booze.

Off to make my mushroom omlet.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! 5lbs in a week, that's great! (After the two weeks of phase 1, you should go for a 1-2lbs per week goal but right now, 5lbs is alright).

You did good at the BBQ!!!!!!!!

I didn't do so good last night at the movie theatre. There is one treat that I allowed myself, only when I go to the cinema and it is a small frozen yogurt. We didn't go our usual theatre and they didn't have frozen yogourt and I had a Hershey frozen bar instead... NO GOOD... and worst, I also had about 6 hand-full of my boyfriend pop corn.... NO GOOD AT ALL!!!!!

Most of the time, I go to the theatre with my friend Simon and he doesn't eat popcorn but yesterday, I went to the movie with my boyfriend Bruno and I couldn't resist his popcorn.... I have to stop going to the movie with my boyfriend... just kidding.

Hello all! My first weekendo on SB was a bit of a challenge, but I don't think I did too bad. Friday night I went to the county fair and had taco salad and part of an elephant ear. I know, I know, but the fair is a once a year thing, right? Saturday I did ok through the day, but had half a cheese burger and a salad for dinner. Sunday wasn't bad at all except I had some chips with homemade salsa...I couldn't pass that up. So, I've come to the conclusion that weekends are difficult...probably because you don't have a set routine like you do through the week. Either way, I managed to lose a few lbs.

Start Out: 160

Current: 155

Goal: 130

Hope everyone has a good day! I'll be posting a meal plan tonight if anyone is interested.

I absolutely love movie theatre popcorn, so I don't know if I could go to the movies yet. I think that would be too much of a temptation. Maybe in a couple of weeks, but I am still in the "I could eat a whole loaf of bread right now" stage. I am not hungry, just not over the desire to have it yet.

Here's a quick lunch or dinner meal.

Take one 15 oz. can of dark kidney beans with liquid and place in a microwave bowl add some garlic, chopped onion and diced roasted peppers and microwave on high for about 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, stir fry 1 lb. of beef strips in olive oil with a little pepper and garlic to taste.

Drain a 15 oz. can of green beans, toss with some balsamic vinegar and either wheat germ or flaxseed.

Serve.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Hello all! My first weekendo on SB was a bit of a challenge, but I don't think I did too bad. Friday night I went to the county fair and had taco salad and part of an elephant ear. I know, I know, but the fair is a once a year thing, right? Saturday I did ok through the day, but had half a cheese burger and a salad for dinner. Sunday wasn't bad at all except I had some chips with homemade salsa...I couldn't pass that up. So, I've come to the conclusion that weekends are difficult...probably because you don't have a set routine like you do through the week. Either way, I managed to lose a few lbs.

Start Out: 160

Current: 155

Goal: 130

Hope everyone has a good day! I'll be posting a meal plan tonight if anyone is interested.

At least you are IMPROVING your life style. About the chips (what is the worst thing you have listed, IMHO). I've seen a post on South Beach Diet Online where they suggest to take a small whole wheat soft tortilla, spray or brush just a little canola oil on it (both sides), cut the tortilla in small chip size bites and broil them in the oven (turn them for them to be crispy on both sides). It can be used as ''chips'' with SBD friendly salsa (no sugar/corn sirup added). It equals 1 Carb portion (if the tortilla has 30g or less). I didn't try it myself but I thought it was a good idea and I will probably try it if I ''need'' chips with salsa. Just thought I would share.

Here's a quick lunch or dinner meal.

Take one 15 oz. can of dark kidney beans with liquid and place in a microwave bowl add some garlic, chopped onion and diced roasted peppers and microwave on high for about 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, stir fry 1 lb. of beef strips in olive oil with a little pepper and garlic to taste.

Drain a 15 oz. can of green beans, toss with some balsamic vinegar and either wheat germ or flaxseed.

Serve.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Thank you! The only problem I can see for me is leaving the kidney been liquid (it gives me gas problem that are under control if I drain them). Do you think it would work without the liquid? Also, after the beans, meat and grean been are ready, do you mix all that or is it a 3 dish meal?

Hi all- Well I'm on day 3 of phase 1 and it's going ok. The first day was rough because I had the same ostomy issues I always do but it's settled down now. i'm waiting for the point where the cravings for sweets quit.

Gymnastsfamily- I'm surprised you can tolerate popcorn. Glad to hear that your crohn's is doing better. I know alot of people with crohns do better when they stay away from processed foods, especially those with high fructose corn syrup and wheat. Wheat is a major issue for alot of crohn's patients as dairy can be. I don't eat alot of either although I do eat cheese and yogurt. Those don't seem to be an issue but then I'm in remission too. I'll be interested to see how you do when you go off phase 1 and start adding back some things like the wheat. It may be a real eye opener for you. Definitely keep track and add back things slowly. You may find that some things are worth removing from your diet completely.

Tami

By the way, my mother and aunt had Crohn's disease too. My mother was hospitalized for about 1 month but my aunt was hit even more. Spending a full year at the hospital (sometimes she would go home for a day or 3-4 days but always had to go back to the hospital in emergency and finally had the operation).

I have to watch myself for this kind of stuff.

I am not saying this is a good option but my mother thinks that smoking cigarette helped her against Crohn's disease. I know it sounds stupid but a study published on Internet also gave this conclusion. My mother had stopped smoking when she had to go to the hospital for Crohn and she was sick for quite a while (even when back at home). After a few months, she started to smoke cigarette again and, at the same time, she started to feel better. 5 years after, she quit smoking TWICE and each time, the Crohn would come back. The second time, she even tried to wait but after 6 full months, she was only getting sicker and was to the point where her doctor said she would have to go to the hospital if it didn't improve. She started smoking again (she was in tears) but the Crohn got under control and went away after about 3 months.

Her sister never smoked.

Please understand, I am not saying that smoking is your only option or is good in any way. I never smoked and never will. I think it's a product that is life-threatening and should be illegal. My mother chose to die younger and have increased risk of lung cancer than to fight her disease and have to operation my aunt went through years before.

I know what this disease is and I am with you in this. It is probably hard to reintroduce good carbs in your diet but I think it can be done if done slowly and one food item at a time, taking the time to check if this item is tolerated or not. And, even if some carbs cannot be reintegrated, I'm sure other parts of South Beach Diet can be followed.

It's me AGAIN!!!! :D

I'm proud of myself. Yesterday, I had a PERFECT SBD day! (this doesn't happen too often lately). Here is what I had (I am on phase 2):

Breakfast: V8+Cereal+milk

Snack: LF Mozzarella slice

Lunch: V8 + Salad with ham, chalots and tomatoes + green Apple

Snack: Diet Pepsi

Dinner: Chili (OK, not a perfect day since I had no vegetable for dinnner... I need to go to the grocery store tonight).

Dessert: 1/2 pear (canned in its juice, no sugar added) + 1/4 cup Lime Zest ricotta creme (1/2 fruit + small portion of Ricotta creme is VERY GOOD)

Exercise: 25 minutes walk (medium speed) at lunch time + 15 minutes walk (slower speed) with my boyfriend after dinner.

Archived