Food on the Sun

So I have been reading up for the past few weeks on the Sun and I have a couple questions about the restuarants. Well first, please if anyone wants to tell me what their favorite is on the Sun and why, that would be great. Anyways onto the real questions, is the steakhouse on the sun any good or is it like getting a steak at waffle house. 2. My fiance and I love Japanese Steakhouse Hibachi type things, is the Teppanyaki room Hibachi or is it just straight asian food? Finally 3. Are the hot dogs and burgers at the grill any good or just normal?

Thanks in advance.

Well first, please if anyone wants to tell me what their favorite is on the Sun and why, that would be great.
I have two favorites, and it would be difficult to choose between them -- Il Adagio and Le Bistro. In Il Adagio there are tables for two along the windows, and there are raised banquettes across the aisle. Every seat has a view of the ocean. It's small, the service is excellent, and we love the Italian menu (scampi, mmmmm). Le Bistro is also intimate, with spectacular service, views of the ocean, a terrific menu (we've had the steak twice). The decor in both restaurants is gorgeous. If you go to Le Bistro, pay attention to the place settings, because they're done so well.

Anyways onto the real questions, is the steakhouse on the sun any good or is it like getting a steak at waffle house.
We ate in the Sun's steakhouse this year (right now it's part of East Meets West; perhaps they'll put it in a separate area when the Sun's renovation is done in January), and we each had an excellent steak. We noticed the woman at the next table working on her whole, huge lobster. Next time, that's what I'm having.

2. My fiance and I love Japanese Steakhouse Hibachi type things, is the Teppanyaki room Hibachi or is it just straight asian food?
This is a really fun restaurant on the Sun. It seats somewhere between 12 and 14 people. You can choose steak, chicken or prawns. There is usually just one cook working the grill, but this year there was a second cook there for diners in East Meets West who wanted the Teppanyaki meal. Those of us lucky enough to be at the grill had twice the entertainment.

Finally 3. Are the hot dogs and burgers at the grill any good or just normal?
Normal. Nothing spectacular, but I liked them.

Have fun on the Sun!

Possibly the best meal I've ever had, land or sea was at Il Adagio. The food was excellent, the service impeccable and the decor and general ambiance was sublime. Too bad we were there on our first night - they set the bar impossibly high! We actually found Le Bistro to be quite a let-down (again high, high bar). The food in the steak house was also excellent and we were well attended to by the servers, but boy, did they seem to be having FUN in Ginza (the grill is in a small room right off the steak house). Next time I'd be sure I was there instead!

By and large, we thought everything on the buffets was pretty gross. Much, much worse than any of the other food venues. Not a problem though as there were lots of other choices and Freestyle really does make it easy. The main dining rooms aren't near as good as the specialty venues (go figure:rolleyes: ) but we certainly never had a meal there that was less than satisfactory. Both of them are very pleasant spaces and the staff was always excellent.

Overall, the Sun is a very good boat. Probably the hardest working, most hospitable staff and crew we've ever experienced. Your preferences as to food, activities and entertainment may vary but I'm sure you will have a great time.

Happy Sails,

Annette

Archived