Port of LA Hotel????

LindaO

Has anyone ever stayed at the Queen Mary Hotel? We are planning a day in LA after our cruise in November and wondering if staying on the Queen Mary is a good idea... Any information is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent 2 days researching what I could find on net..... reviews are mixed.

General feeling......... not worth it.

Shabby, rusty, food not so good, service mixed. Walls paper thin etc etc.

One must look at it with the idea of sleeping in a museum, enjoy the ambieance, go with the flow. I for one would do this, but hubby has said No not this time.

What can you lose? It would be a shame that it couldn't float financially if it is that shabby.

Will keep searching.

I've found sites on the web with the same info on the Queen Mary... guess I was hoping that they were wrong... Touring sounds like a good idea...

Any suggestions for the best hotel in Long Beach area???

I guess it depends on your expectations. It's only a 45 minute drive for us, we go there at least once a year for Sunday Brunch. We went on a little 4 day cruise 3 years ago and stayed the night before sailing, something I've always wanted to do. Yes, it is old, but I would not call it shabby, more like a well kept classic. The rooms have some of the original fixtures (much for display) and it was fun to see. We had a wonderful dinner at one of their elegant restaurants, took the ghosts tour the morning before we embarked and over all had a marvelous time. Actually, we wished we had just stayed on at the Queen Mary and forgone Carnival Ecstacy.

If your cruise leaves on a Sunday, a Saturday night stay would be great. Add the Sunday Brunch before you check out, you will have a marvelous old world experience. I will say, though, you should be the type of person to appreciate old classics, if all you want is clean, sleek and modern, you may be disappointed.

Archived