QM2 7/5/04 Departure Photos Via Empire State Cam

Crouton

I don't know if I'm going to be able to post these or not, but I managed to follow QM2 for her entire trip down the Hudson via the Empire State Building TowerCam this afternoon (Sunday July 5, 2004). She left the NYPST about a half hour late at 6:15 or so, and glided gracefully down the river. The temperature was 82 degrees (F). Here goes:

1089014853661882.jpg1089014853661564.jpg

1089014853661672.jpg1089014853661978.jpg

1089014853662055.jpg1089014853662098.jpg

1089014853662393.jpg

Wow -- it worked.

This just blows my mind: I sat at my desk California, manipulated a camera on top of the Empire State Building (!) in New York City with my computer, saved the photos on a server god knows where, and am able to share them with a specialized group of people who might really value them most of all and are scattered all over the planet -- all in under an hour after the live event.

I need a drink -- and I don't even drink.

If you want, I think you can see the rest of the "photos" I took by going to the ESB website, clicking on Tower Cams at the bottom right, and then selecting "Photo Album" from the the menu along the top of the frame. If you haven't registered at the site (a simple process) you'll need to do that. Here's a link:

http://www.esbnyc.com/tourism/tourism_towercam_options.cfm?CFID=5593360&CFTOKEN=51027159

I just reviewed the album pics there, maybe a dozen all together, and noticed that someone else was also "taking pictures" of the departure besides me and adding their comments too. Funny.

I'd love to hear your reactions.

Crouton

P.S. If anyone aboard QM2 for the 7/5 crossing sees these, would you post to let us know -- just to complete the technological circle of amazement. Thank you, and Bon Yoyage.

We saw her berthed at the pier yesterday. Wow was she HUGE, beautiful & majestic! She was even more impressive than the NCL Dawn we had seen the day before. There was something a bit odd about standing on the Intrepid, an aircraft carrier, & realizing she was dwarfed by the QM2. I think even the crew from the 2 Australian navy ships docked next to her were impressed.

Someday, if we keep saving, maybe we'll be fortunate enough to sail on her.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on that ship on July 5th. Those pix are wonderful. We have some great photos from the ship leaving NY harbor and closely passing under the Verazanno bridge. It is certainly an exciting beginning to the journey.

June

Archived