internet ashore

I know that Europe often has low cost (sometimes free!) internet in many cities. I wondered if anyone had any experience with using internet cafes ashore in the Baltic ports and if so, offer recommendations. Thanks!

Globaliser's suggestion to check with crew is the best way to find affordable bandwidth in close proximity to where the ship docks. We also have had good luck using Rick Steves guide books since he specifically identifies locations in each area he covers, but his suggestions aren't always near the ship and he doesn't cover everything such as Warnemunde, Germany. We have a small powerful Sony Vaio and took advantage of free wireless in a number of hotels and restaurants (Tallinn had discrete wireless icons in a lot of places), but even the small laptops are a pain to lug around.

• 2 weeks later...

The most beautiful internet cafe I have ever used was in Tallinn just oposite the tourist info office. There is a big sign directing you down to a lovely old cellar under a jewellery shop and cost us about 2 or 3 euros for an hour.

In Helsinki, the tourist information office had two computers with free internet access. In Stockholm, the 7-11's have very inexpensive internet access. We used one in the heart of Gamla Stan. There were three terminals and a very short wait.

Shopgirl1964

In Stockholm, the 7/11 stores have internet access at a very reasonable price. Like 4.50 for an hour or something like that. I looked at the 7/11 in Oslo from a tour bus, but did not see the terminals in the window like in Stockholm.

• 2 weeks later...

In Warnemunde they have internet access right at the shop at the pier. In Copenhagen we used Boom Town (right by the TI) and in St. Petersburg we used the coffee shop inside the Hermitage museum.. all were very inexpensive compared to the ship charges...

In Copenhagen there is an internet cafe around the corner from the Tourist Office in a square opposite Tivoli. In Helsinki there was an internet terminal next to the shops at the port where the Star Princess docked.

Archived