Finnish translation assistance

We saw this on a wall when we were walking in Helsinki and found the following Swedish description under a similar photo on a website.

"Här låg den begravningsplats där år 1710 under loppet av fyra månader 1185 innevånare i Helsingfors blevo jordade av en utifrån kommande hemsk pest Bortrycktes då två tredjedelar av Helsingfors befolkning."

The Swedish translation: "Here lows the burial ground there year 1710 during four month innevånare in Helsinki stayed bury by an utifrån unborn ghastly plague Bortrycktes then two tredjedelar of Helsinki population."

Does anyone know what the Finnish words in the photo or the Swedish caption above mean in English, or any background on the stone?

Thank you.

Guest LetMeGo
We saw this on a wall when we were walking in Helsinki and found the following Swedish description under a similar photo on a website.

"Här låg den begravningsplats där år 1710 under loppet av fyra månader 1185 innevånare i Helsingfors blevo jordade av en utifrån kommande hemsk pest Bortrycktes då två tredjedelar av Helsingfors befolkning."

The Swedish translation: "Here lows the burial ground there year 1710 during four month innevånare in Helsinki stayed bury by an utifrån unborn ghastly plague Bortrycktes then two tredjedelar of Helsinki population."

Does anyone know what the Finnish words in the photo or the Swedish caption above mean in English, or any background on the stone?

Thank you.

Err... I must be missing something, because the picture is actually in Swedish. :confused: :D

It was after all the official language here until the end of 19th century.

But yes, that text is on the park of the old church (also known as the "plague park", because of the victims of the plague were buried there.

The full text is "Here lies the cemetary for the 1185 citizens of Helsinki who were buried here during the four months of 1710. At that time two thirds of Helsinki's population was taken by the horrible foreign plague.

The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.

Deuteronomy 33:27"

Guest LetMeGo
At the risk of pushing my luck, in Helsinki we also passed by this store window beside the entrance to Restaurant Savoy at Eteläesplanadi 14. Our DD fell in love with the panda fabic. Does anyone know the name of the store?

Thank you (again).

I wouldn't know the store without going by and looking, but the fabric is manufactured by Finlayson (as mentioned on the window! :D)

New Finlayson flagship store at Eteläesplanadi

Welcome to the new Finlayson store located in the Savoy building on Eteläesplanadi 14. Besides featuring better than ever product selection, the new flagship store offers customers a new sewing and interior decoration service.

High quality Finnish Finlayson and Familon textiles can also be found at the first Finlayson concept store that opened in the Kamppi Centre last March.

Guest LetMeGo
Is Finlayson a fabic store? Their website lists the panda fabric (pillow cases and comforter cover, etc.) but no prices for anything. I'm confused.

Finlayson is a company which designs, manufactures and markets textile products... It was founded as a cotton factory by a Scottish James Finlayson in 1820. It's also the site of the first electric lights in the Nordic countries from back in 1882. Most likely there are no prices because they don't sell items by mail.

Guest LetMeGo

The textiles themselves should be easily available in Helsinki, for the price of 35€ for the set of duvet cover and pillowcase, and 7€ for just a pillowcase. (That's how much they currently cost as mail order items in Finland.)

DD saw the panda materials in the store window with us on Sunday. DD is a panda nut and she would have sweet-talked her room steward into putting the panda linens on her bed. She would have bought them if Finlayson was open. I sent an email inquiry to Finlayson but if they don't ship it might explain why I never heard back from them. Everything on the shady side of Eteläesplanadi seemed to be closed so we moved to the sunny side and found several wonderful shops (we couldn't carry everything so some surprises should soon arrive in the mail). Thank you Tero for all the helpful info.

Guest LetMeGo

Sorry to hear you couldn't buy them... I imagine the shops that weren't aimed at tourists were closed on Sundays, because most Finnish people are supposed to be spending the entire July at their summer cottages. :D

If you don't hear from where you could buy the items, and still want to have them, I could possibly go out to the store and buy them for you.

(If you are interested, you can always e-mail me at ternie@saunalahti.fi )

Archived