Warnemunde to Berlin

Katy P.

Anyone ever went to Berlin from Warnemunde via train? What is the name of the train station or the street intersection where you got off from the train in Berlin? What about HOHO buses in Berlin? Has anyone done this? I'm trying to look at different options for the Warnemunde stop. I'm also thinking of the long train ride from Warnemunde. Thanks for any suggestions everyone. :) :) :)

We just returned from a baltic cruise which stopped in Warnemuende.There is a train right next to the dock which will take you to Rostock(it runs frequently).From Rostock there are trains to Berlin which run hourly.If you choose to travel this way,probably the best stops to get off in B erlin are either"Zoo"station(for shopping on Kurfuerstendamm)or"Friedrichstr"for the heart of the City.

I am a native German speaker,but chose the Ship's Bus"for Berlin on your own">It just seemed more efficient and easier,albeit a bit more expensive.

Wotan

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone ever went to Berlin from Warnemunde via train? What is the name of the train station or the street intersection where you got off from the train in Berlin? What about HOHO buses in Berlin? Has anyone done this? I'm trying to look at different options for the Warnemunde stop. I'm also thinking of the long train ride from Warnemunde. Thanks for any suggestions everyone. :) :) :)

Hi Katy:

Hubby & I returned recently from Regatta Baltic cruise & had an easy & wonderful Train experience from Warnemunde to Berlin & back.

We were off the ship by 8 am & returned in time for dinner & well ahead of the evening departure time.

Wotan is correct info wise also.

It was such a pleasant, comfortable & easy trip & we would highly recommend it. We went with another couple & one of them was quite Berlin knowledgeable as he had been there before recently. Rick Steve's Guide was also our big help.

We discovered that we had purchased our round trip tickets for 30 Euros@ & OVER-PAID, since the conductor told us in sparse English that on Saturday 1 ticket is good for 5 people...oh well, we have great ticket souvenirs & memories of a wonderful 5 hrs in Berlin.

Also, how much better was the train compared to sitting on a tour bus for Berlin on your own? We would do it this way again!

Strongly recommend that you plan out your time there in advance.

Checkpoint Charlie, the remnants of the Berlin Wall, the Brandebbug Gate, the Sony center complex, & the Jewish Museum were all GREAT!

The biggest highlight for us were the 12-16 yr old German kids we interacted with on our train...now that experience you will not get on a tour bus either.

Good Luck to you.

Raphy

Hi Katy:

Hubby & I returned recently from Regatta Baltic cruise & had an easy & wonderful Train experience from Warnemunde to Berlin & back.

We were off the ship by 8 am & returned in time for dinner & well ahead of the evening departure time.

Wotan is correct info wise also.

It was such a pleasant, comfortable & easy trip & we would highly recommend it. We went with another couple & one of them was quite Berlin knowledgeable as he had been there before recently. Rick Steve's Guide was also our big help.

We discovered that we had purchased our round trip tickets for 30 Euros@ & OVER-PAID, since the conductor told us in sparse English that on Saturday 1 ticket is good for 5 people...oh well, we have great ticket souvenirs & memories of a wonderful 5 hrs in Berlin.

Also, how much better was the train compared to sitting on a tour bus for Berlin on your own? We would do it this way again!

Strongly recommend that you plan out your time there in advance.

Checkpoint Charlie, the remnants of the Berlin Wall, the Brandenburg Gate, the Sony center complex, & the Jewish Museum were all GREAT!

The biggest highlight for us were the 12-16 yr old German kids we interacted with on our train...now that experience you will not get on a tour bus either.

Good Luck to you.

Raphy

We drove from Warnemunde to Berlin last year and then took the HOHO bus (there are several companies) and had a great time. We parked near the Zoo and bought HOHO tickets at a tourist info center.

is it only saturdays for the 5 people ticket?we will be there in the next 10 days how long was the train journey please?

Not sure if it is only on Saturdays.

There is an "ATM-looking" machine that you purchase your tickets from in Warnemunde & be sure to select "English", that is unless you speak German.

You will be purchasing a round-trip ticket.

You will be taking 2 trains.

1st train is a local train to Rostock.

2nd train goes to Berlin.

total train travelling time is about 3 hrs each way from Warnemunde to Berlin.

We took the 4 pm-ish train back to Rostock & then Warnemunde & spent 5 hrs in Berlin.

It was easy & wonderful.

Enjoy & let us know how it went when you return.

You can email me directly at SOULHLR@yahoo.com

Have a safe & enjoyable trip.

Raphy

is it only saturdays for the 5 people ticket?we will be there in the next 10 days how long was the train journey please?

This is from http://www.bahn.de -> Intern. Guests -> Price overview -> Regional tickets:

Here you find information about the Happy-Weekend-Ticket and the Länder-Tickets.

Please note: As of April 2005 you have to sign your name on the ticket, if there is a special space for your name on the ticket.

Happy-Weekend-Ticket

Valid for up to 5 persons travelling together and for parents travelling with their children aged 14 or younger on Saturdays or Sundays between 12 p.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day for only EUR 30 if you buy your ticket online.

Here you can buy the tickets online. Pleas note: at present the shop is only availabe in German. Please click here to enter the Ticket-Shop. You can also purchase the Happy-Weekend-Ticket on all DB-ticket automats or for 2 EUR more in all DB travel centers or DB agencies. Valid on all local trains, 2nd class only.

Länder-Tickets

You would like to travel for a whole day during the week? In that case one of our Länder-Tickets might be your best choice. Travel any weekday from Monday to Friday or Sunday, depending on the region, from 9.00 a.m. until 3.00 a.m. the following day on local trains in the Bundesland/German federal state of your choice some tickets are also valid on weekends.

The Länder-Ticket wouldn't make much sense if you want to take the train to Berlin because you'd need two (one for Berlin/Brandenburg and one for Mecklenburg-West-Pommerania).

Katy P:

I saw on a different thread that you were asking about a tour company for your St. Petersburg stop. Called Travel in Russia? You got some good recommendations for Alexi...but I can't find their website. Can you tell me what it is?

Thanks,

Judy A.

Judy A., I don't think that was me. I had only asked about questions on photo fees in Russia.Perhaps someone had recommended that tour group. The most common ones that i've come across from reading in this forum are Denrus and Alla Tours. :)

From Rostock there are trains to Berlin which run hourly.If you choose to travel this way,probably the best stops to get off in B erlin are either"Zoo"station(for shopping on Kurfuerstendamm)or"Friedrichstr"for the heart of the City.
For anyone who's still reading this thread: I was in Berlin last weekend and had the pleasure of visiting the new Hauptbahnhof (main railway station), which is a stunning glass cathedral to railway transport. Looking at the http://www.bahn.de times, it looks like trains from Rostock are now routed to the Hbf, which is about 5 minutes' brisk walk to the Reichstag and perhaps 15 minutes' walk to the Friedrichstrasse station. If you want to get to either the Zoologischer Garten or the Friedrichstr stations, you will probably have to change at the Hbf.

Archived