****Live from the Grand Princess****

T&J

hahaha.. now.. tony.. you don't even come close to cheap. I went into the red dot today and wondered out loud to my son what the odds were I'd find a half bottle of strawberry flavored champagne on the other side. my daughter and her boyfriend are cruising end of the month and they're not big or sophisticated drinkers.. I would like to gift them some champagne for sail away but.. they're not likely to finish a glass, much less a bottle, of dry stuff.. they might finish a glass of asti.. they probably would actually drink a half bottle of the cheap strawberry stuff. :) anyway, everybody who overheard me wondering that out loud laughed. :(

anno (cheaper than tony)

That's too funny!

Tony and Javier

sorry that I couldn't post from last afternoon until this morning but we did not have a satelite signal...or perhaps you all thought I had jumped in head first into a case of Veuve and got royally plastered!

Last night we had dinner at 7:30pm and it was International Menu. They made us some bruschetta as an appetizer and I had a Mexican salad with oil and vinegar dressing and Surf and Turf with shrimp. For dessert I had the Vacherin Suisse (layered meringue with a whipped cream centre) and rocky road ice cream of course to accompany it.

After dinner don't ask me how; Sharon and Javier went to the Spa Pool for an hour swin and doing laps in the pool. They sasy between 9:30pm adn 10:30pm when they close is the best time to go there. The Thessalonic pool machine was out of service. Apparently maintenance had come by earlier in the day and took away some part. Hopefully today it will be repaired fully.

I went to the "office" last night and walked out a big winner with $100.00 ...Yippeeee!:rolleyes: and went for a lte night snack (which I shouldn't) around 12:30am and then went to bed.

Woke up this morning around 6:00am and immediately came here to check things out.

We are in Kusadasi, Turkey this afternoon from 12:00 noon until 7:00pm.

FYI, the ship docks very close to the Bazzar in Liman Harbour. the square is called Liman's Square.

There are also several nice public beaches as well that I forgot to mention in Kusadasi as well. On Pigeon Island right next to where the ship docks is a nice beach and also right across from the ship is another public beach off the main road, Ataturk Blvd bfore the grocery store.

Those interested in Ephaseus should allow approx. 50 miutes to one hour travel time in each direction too get there.

We plan on doing just the Bazzar and maybe a Turkish Traditional Bath on this call and do Ephaseus on the next sailing.

More to follow later today from the Grand Princess.

Tony and Javier

:cool: :eek: :cool:

We are approx. 1:30 minutes away from Kusadasi and docking.

Just came back from the gym and boy oh boy was it packed this morning in there at 9:00am. I guess everyone had the same idea as me and get a work out in before going ahore at 12 noon today. Javier lept in until 10:00am this morning as he went to Skywalkers last night and crawled in very late last night/early morning....so I let him sleep! Sharon is already beside the pool suntanning herself in the morning sun and Javier is eating a quick breakfast and then going to the gym as well.

We are meeting at the Horizon Court for lunch at 12 noon and then heading to shore thereafter. The weather today is hot and sunny as it has been everyday on this cruise. I was checking the weather and it appears that we will be getting some rain on our two night/3 days overnight in Venice, Italy. The rain doesn't bother me there as most times that I can remember being in Venice it has rained always...just coincidence I guess.

More to come later today from the Grand Princess in Kusadasi, Turkey shortly.

Tony and Javier

Hey Tony,

enjoy reading your adventures. If you get the chance could you ask one of the assistants in the specialty restaraunts if Antonio Banza is still onboard? He was one of the restaraunt managers during our cruise onboard the Grand in Sterlings. Thanks

Confirmed!...still onboard!

Tony and Javier

Would you ask and see if Amere from the Philip. at the coffee bar is still on the ship. If he is tell him sir John and Kelli says hello. If you see Jon from Brittian do the same. They are the best!!!!!!

Not onboard anymore...just asked!

Tony

Thanks, Tony. I'm eager to see the changes when we go back to the Grand in December.

speaking of changes today...when I left my room earlier this morning they were replacing all the carpeting in the hallways on both sides of Caribe Deck 10.

Tony

Have enjoyed reading this thread but have missed what is going on with all the many cruises T&J are scheduled for. This sounds like a wonderful dream. Can someone fill me in? Are they professional business cruisers or fulfilling their dream of a lifetime?

Semi retired here!... or as some on here say...right Arlene?

Tony and Javier

Right, Tony. :) :)

Arlene

P.S. Pertaining to the mattresses, the talk of replacing them on all ships with pillow tops, goes back to our PP cruise.

Hi Tony, hope you had a nice day in Kusadesi. We were there last year while on a Greek Island trip and had a great day just looking around the Bazaar and then in the city itself. The Promenade is quite lovely. There are some nice store in the city too. Unbelievable prices in the cafes. Drinks and food are sooooo cheap. Did you have any apple tea?

C1 Marseille City Tour,A1 Florence & Pisa,B1 Imperial Rome,D1 A taste of Sorrento and Pompeii,B1 Mykonos Island Tour,Imperial Istanul,B1 Ancient Ephesus,AAAncient Athens in Depth,B1 Gondola Ride Doges palace an glass.:confused:. Hi tony above are the tours we booked for the same itin.()on 9/25.quite expensive and agressive,do you or anyone else have any suggestions as to these tours. We are 1st timers over 65 unfamiliar with language etc.however want to make the most of trip,should we adjust cancel or change any help would be greatly appreciated,Ps hope you dont mind. thanks G&B

C1 Marseille City Tour,A1 Florence & Pisa,B1 Imperial Rome,D1 A taste of Sorrento and Pompeii,B1 Mykonos Island Tour,Imperial Istanul,B1 Ancient Ephesus,AAAncient Athens in Depth,B1 Gondola Ride Doges palace an glass.:confused:. Hi tony above are the tours we booked for the same itin.()on 9/25.quite expensive and agressive,do you or anyone else have any suggestions as to these tours. We are 1st timers over 65 unfamiliar with language etc.however want to make the most of trip,should we adjust cancel or change any help would be greatly appreciated,Ps hope you dont mind. thanks G&B

We'll given what you want to dio and your preferences maybe you should do some tours independently. For example you could hire a taxi driver in Naples and have him drive you to Pompei and Sorrento for the day...cost should be between 75 and $100.00 US no more.

Mykonos Island tour you can do this on your own as well.

Istanbul as well you can hire a taxi for very cheap in that city for the day as well.

Florence and Pisa because of the great distances maybe keep your tour booked thru Princess.

For Ephaseus you can hire a taxi for 25-35 US for the day there.

Venice is very expensive and a Gondola ride on your own will be approx 75 euro's so I don't know what Princess is charging you?

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with?

Tony

Hi Tony, hope you had a nice day in Kusadesi. We were there last year while on a Greek Island trip and had a great day just looking around the Bazaar and then in the city itself. The Promenade is quite lovely. There are some nice store in the city too. Unbelievable prices in the cafes. Drinks and food are sooooo cheap. Did you have any apple tea?

We just got back now at 4:30pm and had a great afternoon. Didn't have any apple tea but rather Turkish coffee which I love.

Tony and Javier

Right, Tony. :) :)

Arlene

P.S. Pertaining to the mattresses, the talk of replacing them on all ships with pillow tops, goes back to our PP cruise.

I remember that chatter about the mattress and pillow tops etc but as soon as I hear anything I will let you know.

Tony and Javier

Have enjoyed reading this thread but have missed what is going on with all the many cruises T&J are scheduled for. This sounds like a wonderful dream. Can someone fill me in? Are they professional business cruisers or fulfilling their dream of a lifetime?

Neither! For my work I can work on the ships and my partner did have winters off completely previous to this year this is what allowed us to cruise so often.

Tony and Javier

Wow. I would love to meet her. I gather they did not show up for the FOD? Too bad.

When did they schedule the FOD on your sailing? I think you said you were the only "friends" to show? We'll join you next week...

-Ruth

Ok we just came back onboard at 4:35pm and what an afternoon. Firstly, the wather here today was 104 F or 39 Celcius!...ouch that's hot. We did make our way ashore and immediately headed for the Grand Bazzar. BTW, you should know since my last visit here in August of 2004 they have redone the pier area completely with new shops, a Starbucks, Burger King, Body Shop etc type of stores and a fully revamped duty free area as well.

Security was very tight as we left the ship and re-entered the agtes to the ship with multiple check points for screening bags and ID. Also they had a zodiac continously going around the ship all day since we have arrived.

Javier and Sharon were looking for linens specifically and pants and shorts and tops. We ended up buying some knock off Armani linene pants and shirts for some very good prices. The quality of all the merchandise far surpassed Istanbul without a doubt. The merchants were a lot more aggressive in there tactics to lure you into there shops. Found the people to be warm and hospitable in general.

The food is also very inexpensive in Kusadasi no matter where you eat. Also confectionnary candy (traditional turkish) is also at great prices as are dates, figs and dried fruits and nuts.

For those that were asking about the knock offs....every couple of stores have them all over the place from shoes, sneakers, tops, purses, handbags etc and the qulity was very good from the items that I looked at.

In the Adventures Ashore port guide for Kusadasi you will two Turkish bath locations taht are on either ends of the Grand Bazzar. I did follow the map to find both locations for those that wanted to know where they were and found them without any problems at all.

The public beaches were also very busy and full of people swimming and tanning on such a hot day. The Splendour of the Seas was berth next to us so there were a lot of us in that little town this afternoon.

Personnaly I prefer Kusadasi over Istanbul for shopping IMHO. I am glad that we are coming back on August 27th again and for a full day from 7:00am until 6:00pm.

We set sail for Athens, Greece at 7:00pm tonight.

More to follow later today from the Grand Princess.

Tony and Javier

Wow. I would love to meet her. I gather they did not show up for the FOD? Too bad.

When did they schedule the FOD on your sailing? I think you said you were the only "friends" to show? We'll join you next week...

-Ruth

No she did not but they were within an earshot of where we were standing at the Oasis bar for the FOD that day.

They had another gathering yesterday at 6:00pm in the Wheelhouse bar but we did not show up for that one.

Tony and Javier

Tony -

Glad you had such a good day. You mention that we are there next week from 7 - 6? My itin said 8 - 5...7-6 would mean we could get going earlier (7:30) for our tour. Let me know if you know - and I will tell my tour operator...

Thanks

R

Tony -

Glad you had such a good day. You mention that we are there next week from 7 - 6? My itin said 8 - 5...7-6 would mean we could get going earlier (7:30) for our tour. Let me know if you know - and I will tell my tour operator...

Thanks

R

Ruth I am pretty sure that's what my tickets said but I will double check for you as well and get back to you tonight.

Tony and Javier

Hi Tony -

Just wanted to say thanks again for your posts. I leave 2 weeks from today - can you tell how excited I am. It sounds like you are having so much fun. I have really learned a lot from your posts - this is my first Princess cruise (have cruised Celebrity and RCCL in the past) so your insights have been wonderful.

Have fun at the office tonight and win a lot of money!!!

Lynn

Himself -

I am going on my first med cruise too on the Grand - I leave in 2 weeks. Check out the Ports of Call Europe board. I got so much information from reading the threads there. I was able to get information on private drivers, different ship tours that I was interested in and which ports were doable on my own as well.

There is so much information there you could read for days!

Lynn

Hi Tony -

Just wanted to say thanks again for your posts. I leave 2 weeks from today - can you tell how excited I am. It sounds like you are having so much fun. I have really learned a lot from your posts - this is my first Princess cruise (have cruised Celebrity and RCCL in the past) so your insights have been wonderful.

Have fun at the office tonight and win a lot of money!!!

Lynn

Thanks Lynn I plan too as well!

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for the info,could save a few dollars with your advice,the princess tour in Venice is $218 for two??

You can do better on your own getting a Gondola Ride in Venice for less than $218.00 for both.

Tony

Archived